Popular games you couldn't get into/didn't like.

kingjavs

Journey. I like "minimalistic/artsy" games, but this one... I just didn't make me fell anything.
If we're talking about "big" games, I'd have to go with Borderlands. I'm not the biggest FPS's fan, but I really like some games, like DOOM, BioShock or Fallout 4 (not truly a FPS, I know). But with this one I just couldn't get hooked. I think it's the loot system that I don't fall for.

• Like 1

Horizon Zero Dawn. Didn't like the combat at all, I hardly died, the fights just descended into me rolling every two seconds and I didn't enjoy it. Plus every time I opened the map I would feel sick realising that it was so big and filled with the same old bandit camps, collectables and pointless tasks. The story interested me, but not enough to continue with being how unfun it was. 

i have a couple, they're also backlog games,  i still own them and have 0 desire to play.

Shadow of the Colossus remake (i owned on ps2 and ps3 and figured id finally finish on ps4.... nope. 3rd Colossus and just meh. screw it. boring)

Dragon Quest XI: ive tried so many times to put hours into this and even devout weekends to play it and i just can't. Jade is cool, but every other character is just boring. The world, everything. The story barely keeps my attention. I bought it at launch, and the fact thats 2 years ago, its just never gonna be finished. I refuse 

Tales of Vesperia: i love the tales series, but for all the hype this got previous gen, i much prefer Berseria combat and style. Even Xillia. I eventually do want to finish this though.

Manhunt/Rogue Galaxy/Final Fantasy 8: as a kid had no issue finishing these or getting into them, but now, i just can't. Final Fantasy 8 at least has boosts and such but its still a lot of work. Manhunt is tame by todays standards and doesn't hold up imo. Rogue Galaxy sucks.

Mass effect trilogy its a big One.

Sci-fi Rpgs are just not my thing.

Then Red Dead Redemption 2 and the Witcher 3. Both are just 2 big time sinks.

I enjoyed the Witcher 3 for a couple of hours but red dead after 2 hours i was done...the minimal diviation its mission failed and that rubbed me the wrong way.

Hey fellow people who've just reached the end of the topic (so far!).

ITT we have

- 50% posts of people replying

- 50% posts of a few people that cant deal with other opinions and get truly madly angry because they cant directly insult one another LMAO

Persona 5 is good in my opinion. But i can see how people wouldnt like it. Ooh opinions. 

Now on with what I wanted to say:

TLoU - I tried for a bit, couldnt get into it. The 2nd one will annoy me as well so im sodding this series off. My loss. 

CoD - I think i own like 3 of these (all thanks to Mr PSPlus) i tried em but the gameplay is boring to me. Plus yeah they come out every year. It surely is a little stale by now. 

Minecraft - I so wanna get into it. I love survival mechanics in games, truly. But i just couldnt get past the first few hours of this. It should just "click" for me but it doesnt. Maybe its the graphics/artstyle but im not a snob.... but maybe deep down i am. I dunno. Ill have another go during lockdown 2 electric boogaloo probably. 

The last of us, came with my ps4 as a digital code which I bought in september 2014, wasn't interested in playing it although I do enjoy the uncharted games from naughty dog, finally decided to at least play the story modes of titles since I have a large back log of games.

A previous forum I was on I gave a small list and consensus was to play last of us next, I did and it felt like a slog to playthrough the whole concept and graphics is great but gameplay  I found dull and slow, one level I liked was ellie and the snow area, but that one spot out of a lot of dull chapters isn't enough to say it's great. I honestly couldn't wait to finish it, I tried to play left behind to say well I finished the DLC too, but gave up after getting stuck in an area I couldn't get passed.

Grand theft auto, big fan of the first title on playstation and pc, missed out on others due to being a ninty fan, finally got a playstation 3 as the Wii couldn't offer Arkham asylum, friend loved gta 4 so I bought it and just couldn't get a handle on the gameplay, gunplay was generic and just couldn't like the open world all that much, tried a mission were I had to take out two guys in a house, after about 20+ deaths failing to gain access I had enough and called it quits, my son got a copy of gta5 which i tried online was good with challenges but otherwise sp was the same as gta4 and played very little of it.

Red dead redemption was another raved about on the forum I was on, what titles should I get after moving over to sony, this was on the list, going cheap as well thought I would give it a try, I can see the appeal for this and gta but I just think they are titles that aren't for me, it started off well with the horse and travelling, but went downhill once I started getting into missions and hitting the same roadblock as gta getting passed them.

Middle earth shadow of mordor, I love lord of the rings and Tolkien's lore of middle earth so when I got this on sale one time I was looking forward to playing it, I did this after playing and getting the platinum on horizon zero dawn, I found the exploration and progress of hzd so much better than som and found it really hard to get into the game from that aspect, the whole nemesis system is great but I feel I maybe took on more than I could chew with some areas and couldn't clear a particular part of nemesis which was a follow on for the story, which then left me stuck, I was enjoying the game as well and really stuck at it but lack of progress going forward made me shelf it.

Off the back end of experience with rdr, last of us and shadow of mordor I haven't played their sequels and really have no interest in them either, probably missing out on some gems, but I can happily do without that and play something else I enjoy.

Edited by eoinfxrgg

Doom 2016 - Stopped playing the game after a trophy glitch and have never returned but even before that, I wouldn't have said I was enjoying my time. It's not bad by any means but something just wasn't clicking. Been meaning to go back to it but after playing Eternal (which was way more to my liking) I don't know if my stance will change.

Resident Evil Remake - The game does horror too well for me that I don't enjoy it. I'm too unnerved by the atmosphere.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I think it's worse than the first game. Bigger doesn't equate to better. I remember playing the first one and enjoying riding from one end of the map to the other. This one, I have to stop to feed my horse and then contend with 8 different other mechanics. Real let down and the less said about the multiplayer, the better.

Bloodborne - Never been able to get into it. Not through fault of the world it's set in or the lore but something just doesn't grab me in the way other games do. It's the one game that I regret not being into most. Haven't given up hope as The Witcher 3 took a couple of attempts to get its claws into me and when it did, I played nothing else for about 2 weeks. I'm due to give Bloodborne another try so, hopefully, this might be the attempt that keeps me playing.

The only game I can quite think of off the top of my head is:

Genshin Impact.

My friends were playing it saying it's an RPG and it has multiplayer so I decided to give it a go.

I played it for like ten minutes, I wanted to kill that stupid flying third person speaking loli so bad. I couldn't stand this game at all, a bit too weeb for me.

And I couldn't get onboard with the effort the trophy list required of me, thankfully I deleted the trophy data before I earned any.

Ghost of Tsushima for me

I personally found it boring and the story very slow. I played for about 2 days and didn't really get far because I always wanted to do something else. The game didn't suck me in like I wanted to and like I said, I found riding everywhere boring because other than doing the same fights over again there really isn't anything there. I think I got into the hypeway too much and was left disappointed.

On 11/1/2020 at 6:14 AM, KR33P3R_KR4FT said:

The only game I can quite think of off the top of my head is:

Genshin Impact.

My friends were playing it saying it's an RPG and it has multiplayer so I decided to give it a go.

I played it for like ten minutes, I wanted to kill that stupid flying third person speaking loli so bad. I couldn't stand this game at all, a bit too weeb for me.

And I couldn't get onboard with the effort the trophy list required of me, thankfully I deleted the trophy data before I earned any.

If i'm going to be honest. Genshin Impact is just one of those games where the core mechanic(gacha) is not really a core issue till later. The game is fun and world is really well done. But once all these "millions of players" hit that wall that EVERY Gacha game has they will drop off. I have read articles about Resin issues at the end of the game and how it's based on a timer. Well this is Gacha people. It's to get you to spend money to refresh it or to halt your progress on purpose to prolong the games lifespan. I personally didn't get into it myself cuz i already have a dedicated Gacha game in DBZ:Dokkan Battle. Don't need anymore money sinks lol.

But once the "new game" allure ends and people realize it's just another Gacha it won't completely die but the numbers will fall off and it won't be headline news anymore. But i will admit. I'm having fun with all these game journalists complaining about Gacha features for the first time cuz they didn't play them before and expect to treat the game like it's non-gacha expecting changes to features that will never change due to the games nature.

Edited by Urabraska-

I got really bored of Horizon Zero Dawn after 2 and a half hours in.

The story did not grab me, I did not like the protagonist (or any characters at all), and I certainly could not stomach the thought of slogging through another ubisoft-like open world after abandoning AC Odyssey for the exact same reasons.

Good thing I got it as a trade-in so I did not lose any money with it.

On 11/2/2020 at 0:09 PM, Urabraska- said:

If i'm going to be honest. Genshin Impact is just one of those games where the core mechanic(gacha) is not really a core issue till later. The game is fun and world is really well done. But once all these "millions of players" hit that wall that EVERY Gacha game has they will drop off. I have read articles about Resin issues at the end of the game and how it's based on a timer. Well this is Gacha people. It's to get you to spend money to refresh it or to halt your progress on purpose to prolong the games lifespan. I personally didn't get into it myself cuz i already have a dedicated Gacha game in DBZ:Dokkan Battle. Don't need anymore money sinks lol.

But once the "new game" allure ends and people realize it's just another Gacha it won't completely die but the numbers will fall off and it won't be headline news anymore. But i will admit. I'm having fun with all these game journalists complaining about Gacha features for the first time cuz they didn't play them before and expect to treat the game like it's non-gacha expecting changes to features that will never change due to the games nature.

It is F2P, isn't it? I wouldn't expect anything more for a F2P game.

Not a PS4 game but the WiiU/Switch game The Legend of Zelda; Breath of the Wild, The open world felt too big, without really any clear direction to go to.

If I didnt explore, make food and eat it, look for new weapons and do other mundane stuff, I wasnt strong enough for some enemies so I was kinda forced to look up shrines but got distracted by so many other things that just felt so meaningless.

I fear that is why I might not like some of the open world games like RDR2 or Witcher 3 where you have a big open world too, so I hope they have such a good story that I dont care about the rest.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2020 at 7:09 AM, Wolf_Town_Spider said:

If you disliked Farcry 4 don’t even attempt number 5 it was absolutely DIRE.

Farcry2 (in its day) and 3 were so great but it’s been a slippery slope since. 

It’s all on you 6..

I love Far Cry 5 but was lukewarm on Far Cry 4. The only reason why I didn't get 100% for Far Cry 5 is because I heard the DLCs were bad (Ubisoft DLCs normally are) and I wanted to hold on to the good memories I had of the game. New Dawn was also lots of fun. 

Homefront the Revolution. OMG what a boring-ass Far Cry wannabe game. What ultimately sealed its fate is that I stopped playing it midway to play Far Cry 5 and never looked backed.

Grand Theft Auto III and San Andreas. People have rose tinted glasses when it comes to these instalments. They're unplayable. The camera, the controls, and the graphics. Can't stand it.  The actual missions are fun but too much micromanaging from the player is involved in order to make it enjoyable. 

Dragon Age Inquisition. The combat was good but overall it's bloated with too many fetch quests. I do plan on giving it another go as there's a lot to like but it was exhausting at times.

Bioshock Infinite. I got it for free on my xbox 360 . The world is beautiful but the story and characters are trash. The moment they actually made racism playable by giving you the option to throw a ball at the interracial couple was incidentally the moment the game also went downhill from a gameplay perspective. The campaign is too long with weak level design and the twist was predictable yet didn't make any sense. I am curious to revisit it for the PS4 since I got the collection for free though.

I'm also struggling to get into Nier Automata. A bit bland and the save system is annoying.  I hear the story is good so will crack on with it when I have the time.

The Last of Us Remaster - very close to platinum, just need the last few MP achievements.  Technically the game is amazing, art style, dialogue, voice acting, story line, world building are all top notch.  Gameplay is meh = average imo.  I will finish the platinum and then move on to TLoU2 when PS5 launches.  Although I understand why so many people talk its praise, I think that for people who just want some quick and instant gratification, this is not the game for them.  For me, it was 'just good'. 

Marvel's Spiderman - main story was good and the action (fighting and moving through the city) was fun for a time.  The end grind of all the side quests and content and the DLC including NG+, was not fun.  The grind is OK when it is enjoyable, this grind was not.  As above, good game but not worthy of it's praise imho. 

The Witcher 3 - Sorry people but I've tried so many times to get into the game and it just hasn't worked a lot of riding from point A to B and being under levelled half the time. I'm forcing myself through it one last time and slowly enjoying it but I still feel the game is way overhyped at this point in time 

Bloodborne - I feel I gave this game adequate play time getting past the 4th boss Vicar Amelia but I just got smashed constantly and that took the fun out of it. I usually enjoy hard games but when it takes me a few days to get past one boss then I have to draw the line