Popular games you couldn't get into/didn't like.

kingjavs

The Last of Us

Naughty Dog seems to revel in ludonarrative dissonance.  I could get behind Uncharted since those are fun to play.  I found The Last of Us a drag.  Save system was useless, the skill tree was nonsense, the inventory was artifically limited, and the breakable weapons garbage was laughable.  This all felt wrong for the character I was supposed to be.  I had survived for 20 years in the zombie apocalypse but didn't even have the most basic skills one would need to survive???  Also, if anyone has ever swung a steel pipe, you would know that it isn't going to break after hitting a couple of mushy zombies.  It wouldn't break if you hit a concrete wall for hours on end.  All that would happen is that you would dislocate your shoulders.

It's really sad, because the gameplay mechanics were cool and the story was awesome.  It's too bad I couldn't stand the game after about 5 hours.

Edited by Drago_Museveni

the original bioshock, loved bioshock inifinite but i've tried playing the first one twice now and i just can't get near as immersed as i was hoping, planning on giving it a third attempt at some point because i want to love it and see why other people love it so much but there's just something about it not clicking with me maybe it was the lack of concentration i had at the time or something with other stuff on my mind i'm not sure but there's my honest input on the thread 

I often come back to games, but one stands out: Red Dead Redemption (PS3). I really did not like that game. I'm just not made for Rockstar games, I guess. I didn't like GTA 5, but I thought maybe I didn't give it a chance. So, I picked up RDR, put it down for a long time, picked it up again to finish it, and put it down and never came back. I just don't like it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 10:44 AM, scabab said:

You're delusional or a fanboy if you think Persona 5 looks anywhere remotely as good as Final Fantasy XII.

The graphics are that bad the characters literally can barely emote. They just stand there with blank facial expressions and the only way any expression is displayed is through a separate drawing in the corner when the character speaks.

I've played a lot of JRPGs and none of them were anywhere near the horrendous cutscene fest that this game was. You can play for an hour or two at a time and do absolutely nothing but watch cutscenes.

No attention at home? 

Edited by Z1MZUM

I picked up Ghost of Tsushima at launch after all the praise it was receiving but I was disappointed by it by the end of Act 1 and dropped the game. I tried picking it back up a couple of times and got a little bit into Act 2 but I still just could not get into it, it just felt like such a massive chore to play. The open world felt way too big while simultaneously feeling horrendously empty with copypasted looking houses, towns, environments, etc., the side quests were boring, repetitive and monotonous, I just could not get into the combat at all, and I couldn't really find it in myself to care about any of the side characters (sans Ryuzo, but one alright character isn't enough to carry the whole game) or the main plot by the time I dropped the game. 

I did enjoy playing around with photo mode for a bit though. 

Ghost of Tsushima 

Picked it up recently, but found the camera so bad that I dropped it before the end of the tutorial. Shame - from what I’ve seen and heard it seems like a decent Assassin’s-Creed-in-all-but-name game (which I’m a sucker for), but I just found it impossible to control, and could tell it wasn’t going to stop irking me - too much to dedicate 40 hours to

Titanfall 2. It's a typical Call of Duty game. Really not that impressive to me.

Shadow of the Collosus. Terrible controls, boring open world, average story. The only saving grace are the unique boss fights, but the controls ruin this again.

Edited by Asimb0mb

On 11/1/2020 at 6:43 AM, enaysoft said:

I'm currently struggling with the new God Of War game, I loved the first 3, but this one, I'm forcing myself to play it and having a mostly mediocre time, plus it frequently gives me motion sickness. Feels like a chore to play.

Turn off motion blur I'm pretty sure you can. Anytime that's an option I turn it off!

after playing persona 5 and loving it i was watching some stuff to see what games fans of the series would recommend, and Dragon Quest kept popping up.

I tried echoes of an elusive age but that games combat is soo boring compared to other turn based combat and the soundtrack is genuinely one of the worst things I've ever heard in a game that otherwise is well-made. 

Not sure if anyone will actually see this since it’s buried. Now, I did give these games a chance and played all the way through them, but personally I feel that they are WAY overrated:

God of War (the newest one)

Horizon Zero Dawn

Ghost of Tsushima

On 11/30/2020 at 11:48 PM, Nathan_Croft said:
Edited by Pvp101insession
It’s late and I’m tired
  • Like 1

Borderlands. I just don't get what the appeal of this game is.

Didn't like the story, didn't like the characters all that much and certainly didn't like the game design. I know it's a looter-shooter, yet I don't get the point of it. Usually in games with RPG elements when you get a better weapon / better abilities you crush enemies that used to be strong and bullet sponges. You get the sense of progression by experiencing extrinsical motivation. The same applies when your player level increases.

In Borderlands everything feels scaled and therefore pointless. I start off with minimal health compared to the endgame build and defeat enemies with a certain effort, only for me to later be leveled up beyond recognition, having the most powerful weapons and equipment in the game and still needing to put in the same amount of effort to deal with the enemies because their damage output and input scale based on my progress.

If you ask me this is quite pointless, I could just have walked around with low-tier weapons / equipment and not be leveled at all if the enemies didn't scale. It would basically be the same experience and it's an artificial way to make you believe you accomplished something just by showing you guns with a golden background and a higher level number.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for a need to breeze through games, not at all. But if a such a system is implemented it should carry some weight and not provide the same experience just with inflated numbers.

Alright, get out the pitchforks.^^

Edited by JohnlMatrix
  • Like 1

• Any game by Rockstar (all overrated) only one I enjoyed was Red Dead Redemption.

• Capcom games like Dead Rising, Street Fighter, etc

• Metal Gear series (don't dislike it but it is overrated)

• COD

• Mortal Kombat

• Sports games

List could be much longer but these are what I can think of currently.

• Like 1

More recent would be The Witcher 3.  I do not get the hype behind that game at all.  Witcher 2 was awful in my opinion as well.  Geralt is bland, and boring.  My friends tell me, "well he is a Witcher, they are stoic".  And I always tell them, "Yeah? So is Master Chief, Batman, and Wolverine, and they are likeable".  

Next up would be Elder Scrolls, and Fallout.  They are awful, boring, poorly voice acted games..  Not to mention awkward as well.  I was shittin on Bethesda back in 06, before it was cool.

Lastly, Mass Effect 3.  It is still, to this day the worst Mass Effect game.  And not just because the ending.  For several reasons.  For one it was a huge departure from the original.  2 slightly departed, and 3 ran away from it.  ME3 is literally a on rails, 3rd person shooter.  A 3rd person COD.  You couldn't holster your weapon in 3!  

Also, the shitty co op horde mode that introduced Ultimate Team loot box mechanics into a "RPG" which I used that term very lightly for ME3.  And essentially forced you into for your Galactic Readiness.  It was evident where the dev time went into 3.  The lootboxes, not the Story Mode

Edited by NxtDoc
Add Info

• 2 weeks later...