Almost $200 for one single PS5 game.

mvpeast

6 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Wow, four pages of this and no one brought up the Neo Geo where standard editions of games were $200 a pop?  And this was in the US, but back in the 90s when minimum wage was $4.25/hr and a $200 game then would be worth far more now thanks to inflation.  Those games definitely were the most expensive ever to be made and only rich people could afford those and the console.

But seriously, this sort of pricing for a limited/collector's edition isn't that out there.  I still think prices for games since the PS1 came out have been very reasonable, even for new games.  $79.99 wasn't an unusual price for SNES games like Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, etc.  The only difference is that now I don't have to save up for months to be able to afford those.

Games were only for the rich in the past. $200

means nothing to rich people back then/now.

Its the only difference now is that the general public can also play video games. It used to be a form of entertainment only for the rich.

7 hours ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

A lot of people aren't happy about the price jump, but honestly I'm surprised it took this long. Coincidentally, we have also seen the use of loot boxes and micro transactions explode this currently generation. There's a correlation between the two. $59.99 USD was no longer a viable amount for AAA games, which is why so many are riddled with these season pass cash grabs, skins, boosters, etc. Anything that could be monetized in a way to give an incentive to gamers was done so. Devs could stomach losing the initial up front, because DLC and a trickle of cosmetics and loot boxes could keep the cash flowing. Look at EA and the amount they get from sales like that is absurd. Games as a service live purely off of that, gating your success with tiers and rewards and trinkets, keeping you spending and playing, spending and playing to keep the gameplay loop going. Which is one reason why I tend to shy away from most online or multiplayer games. 

Sure, it's a trend because we voted with our wallets and I assume many will do so this coming gen too, but I might be one of the few who will be willing to fork over the extra 10 bucks if it means I dont have to get all the monetization shoveled down my throat. Spending more on the games means I will hold the next gen games to a higher standard, so if they do not deliver then I will cut down on my game purchasing and focus only on my must haves. 

They gonna add $10 on top of even more expensive DLC/micro transactions/battle passes/etc.

Edited by mvpeast

7 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

Game sharing is a thing you know

I got all my games by myself. I can afford games don't mean everybody can. There are a lot people that are struggling now especially true in this pandemic. All I'm saying is that game companies chose the worst possible time to increase game prices.

Edited by mvpeast

3 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

Well, we don’t know if it’s gonna work on PS5 yet, but that isn’t what I was referring to.

Just that a large amount of games doesn’t necessarily mean they bought it themselves

Also, I only started trophy hunting seriously when the pandemic started. But the grind is becoming more and more tiring.

16 minutes ago, Juzota said:

OP has over 800 games on his/her profile and is here bitching about how gaming is expensive. It looks like you're doing just fine.

I'm concerned about other people. Games are indeed getting more and more expensive and it's becoming unaffordable for most.

14 hours ago, iNtErWhOoPeR said:

I'm not too worried bout the prices. Sure it's an increase but it really depends on how badly you want to play the game. In Canada where I am it's only a $10 increase which doesn't really surprise me just because everything seems to be going up in price too. I typically don't buy games at launch unless it's a must have game. I expect a good chunk of the exclusive games will eventually become free ps+ plus. I'll grab AC Valhalla too at some point but not at launch. AC games tend to go on sale pretty quickly after release too. Picked up Odyssey like 3 months after launch for $30.  

Was saying samething 10 extra is affordable but majority of gamers are kids and their father going mad for that 

10 minutes ago, mvpeast said:

Games are indeed getting more and more expensive and it's becoming unaffordable for most.

No. You have just to wait until they´ll get cheap. Time Preference and setting the right priorities ist the way to become (relatively) rich by the way.

Buying day one means that you have to pay for your impatience or greed because you want it like a little child wants the lolly.

If you can wait you save the money and get the same or even better product.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Babsimabuse said:

No. You have just to wait until they´ll get cheap. Time Preference and setting the right priorities ist the way to become (relatively) rich by the way.

Buying day one means that you have to pay for your impatience or greed because you want it like a little child wants the lolly.

If you can wait you save the money and get the same or even better product.

Well said. You do not need to get everything day one, especially if you can't afford it.

• Like 2

Yes it’s getting more expensive but for me the only game that I bought on launch full price was Resident Evil 3 other than that I get everything either in special deals or sale.

If the game is over 50h and have a good reply value then I don’t have a problem to buy one of them such as Cyberpunk 2077 I will preorder it soon hopefully.

• Like 2

I can afford these prices but that doesn’t mean l am going to spread my butt cheecks so greedy fucks can stick it. Some companies are still observing 70$ price tag, only greed fucks like 2K and EA is following that trend now. I refuse to pay extra 10$ on games that are basically copy paste of their old ones.

JuSt wAiT fOr a SaLe, dOn’T bUy UlTiMaTe EdItIoN.

wow thanks for best advice genius, go and become next economy minister of Greece and help them pay their debts to Germany.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MilanYildirim said:

I can afford these prices but that doesn’t mean l am going to spread my butt cheecks so greedy fucks can stick it. Some companies are still observing 70$ price tag, only greed fucks like 2K and EA is following that trend now. I refuse to pay extra 10$ on games that are basically copy paste of their old ones.

JuSt wAiT fOr a SaLe, dOn’T bUy UlTiMaTe EdItIoN.

wow thanks for best advice genius, go and become next economy minister of Greece and help them pay their debts to Germany.

Yes you are right. I'm not trying to start a war here... We are all gamers and we should look out for one another. It's not about the money increase. But if they do it during a pandemic when everybody's losing their jobs? That's not very nice in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Viscera1900 said:

Well it’s a good thing that you don’t need to get everything Day 1 or go for Ultimate Mega Turbo Editions to play PS5 games.

Just wait for 2 months or more and you’ll be buying that same 70€/200€ game for much less.

I mentioned this multiple times in the thread. I'm not gonna pay for these ultimate editions on Day 1. It's smart to wait 2 years when the prices become more affordable.

15 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Yep, that's inflation for you. Unfortunately if you're American, prices keep going up, but wages stay the same. This is why I only buy things on sale. Within a year you can usually get a game at least 50% off, and if not... meh.

at least you have good wages , in 3rd wold countries the prices stay the same for months plus the wages are a joke

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mvpeast said:

Yes you are right. I'm not trying to start a war here... We are all gamers and we should look out for one another. It's not about the money increase. But if they do it during a pandemic when everybody's losing their jobs? That's not very nice in my opinion.

You do realise that games are made by real people who also need to get paid? But I guess their job and livelihood is not as important than everyone else's.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Juzota said:

You do realise that games are made by real people who also need to get paid? But I guess their job and livelihood is not as important than everyone else's.

Like I said earlier. They can increase the prices but maybe not in the middle of a pandemic. This is just my personal opinion.

Almost 85,000 people are infected per day in the U.S. and COVID deaths are again up to 1,200 per day. It's really bad out there at this moment.

5 hours ago, DonBrandon98 said:

at least you have good wages , in 3rd wold countries the prices stay the same for months plus the wages are a joke

I know buddy.. I know how you feel. I have friends that are from 3rd world countries. It's not about the U.S. Everybody's struggling to make a living while we have to pay increased prices for games. It's just not easy.

Edited by mvpeast
  • Like 1

Fundamental goal of every single companies is to make profit as much as possible. I have never heard of any studio that released a kick ass game but bleeded money. If Capcom is on a boat that they say they hadn’t made up their minds yet whether they are going to increase their prices to 70€ or not ( they’ll observe first if that’s a more profitable move ) that means they make enough money. People who keep saying prices are like that for bla bla years bla bla are forgetting one thing. Ultimate edition we get now was regular editions before, l don’t remember incomplete games back then, but hey let’s make some poor guy cover on Forbes. I am sure they had an argument when his wife wanted a bigger diamond and he couldn’t afford because prices did not increase. Oh, poor thing

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, FearlessElle said:

Yes it’s getting more expensive but for me the only game that I bought on launch full price was Resident Evil 3 other than that I get everything either in special deals or sale.

If the game is over 50h and have a good reply value then I don’t have a problem to buy one of them such as Cyberpunk 2077 I will preorder it soon hopefully.

Yes I don't mind paying $100 for a premium games like Cyberpunk 2077, Monster Hunter, etc. I played 2,000 hours on Monster Hunter World + Iceborne. That's worth it in my opinion.

You see what's in common with these wonderful games. RE3 includes a free game for the price of 1 game. Monster Hunter has tons FREE DLCs.

But Copy and Paste sports game? No thanks.

Edited by mvpeast
  • Like 1

Sony wants people to go digital but their price raises have just made me go back to second hand physical.

Instead of ballooning development costs to ridiculous degrees they should focus less on muh shiny graphics and more on fun games that do not need 8+ million sales to break even.

Edited by monteblommie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mvpeast said:

Almost 85,000 people are infected per day in the U.S. and deaths are again up to 1,200 per day. It's really bad out there at this moment.

About 8000 total deads/day is normal in the USA. 1200 is deads that are maybe WITH corona.

(And nobody counts other infections and diseases as meticulously or is testing like a a maniac)