Almost $200 for one single PS5 game.

mvpeast

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Bullshit. I can literally find tons of games on Steam offered at reasonable prices. Microsoft and Sony both have regular sales on games and that will include Xbox Series X/PS5 games as time goes on.

New releases on Steam and digital PC storefronts are typically the same price as the consoles, and will likely follow suit with this new price hike once it settles in on console.  If you're making the argument that "sale prices are 95% off so why not launch prices"... it's because the launch window is where companies recoup most of their expenses in development.  That's money they need to pay their employees and keep their doors open.

Sale prices basically exist for marketing and generating hype after that initial revenue has stopped coming in, and to make a few extra easy bucks.  Totally different motivation/sense of urgency.  If a game doesn't sell well, there may be a bit of desperation behind sales that come shortly after release to break even, but an expectation that all games should sell for their sale prices is a bit naive.

EDIT: I guess you could say buying new releases on launch is the "luxury", which is what the OP is talking about... not older games on discount.

Edited by Dreakon13

3 hours ago, majob said:

A luxury is anything you don't NEED. You need food, you need clothing, you need shelter. You don't NEED videogames therefore they are a luxury and their cost doesn't reflect thing like cost of living. People have confused the term for too long with anything related to extravagance when it was meant to describe anything that wasn't essential to your survival

There is far more to the term 'Need' than that, it is all about context.

You could say I need to comb my hair, or I need to go to the bank or I need to check my speeling. 

They are not essential to survival and they are not overly luxurious things to do and when said in conversation i doubt anyone would assume that your life depended on it and that it was just a figure of speech.

On topic... 

Gaming can be a cheap hobby or it can be an expensive hobby, it just depends on how you choose to do it.

8 minutes ago, Japanime_Gamer said:

There is far more to the term 'Need' than that, it is all about context.

You could say I need to comb my hair, or I need to go to the bank or I need to check my speeling. 

They are not essential to survival and they are not overly luxurious things to do and when said in conversation i doubt anyone would assume that your life depended on it and that it was just a figure of speech.

On topic... 

Gaming can be a cheap hobby or it can be an expensive hobby, it just depends on how you choose to do it.

I mean Gaming can help you feel better so I wouldn’t call it completely luxurious. Like it helps you to relax so less stress in real life. I think people shouldn’t be so extreme when they say stuff. Like why are people always so angry/serious about everything?

Edited by mvpeast
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Japanime_Gamer said:

This is why it's a shame the physical market is starting to get forced out (especially on the Xbox with the much cheaper Xbox Series S and Game Pass's popularity).  Less options means less opportunity to make it a cheap hobby.  Just have to hope Microsoft and Sony don't slow down the deals once we're stuck in their ecosystems.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

How about you factor in the general industry growth and amount of money is in the industry

Studios/branches closing their doors due to poor sales:

"The industry makes lots of moneh, so give us some of that moneh!"

Edited by Dreakon13

17 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

This is why it's a shame the physical market is starting to get forced out (especially on the Xbox with the much cheaper Xbox Series S and Game Pass's popularity).  Less options means less opportunity to make it a cheap hobby.  Just have to hope Microsoft and Sony don't slow down the deals once we're stuck in their ecosystems.

I still have 2 years of Games pass subscription left as i bought loads of it when it was on sale thinking I would use it, but sadly i have not and I dont really know why, I just prefer Sony's exclusives far far more I guess.

19 minutes ago, mvpeast said:

I mean Gaming can help you feel better so I wouldn’t call it completely luxurious. Like it helps you to relax so less stress in real life. I think people shouldn’t be so extreme when they say stuff. Like why are people always so angry/serious about everything?

I have been fortunate to have worked full time throughout the pandemic and as such it has not really affected me in in an aspect of my life so perhaps am not feeling the same stress that others may do who are less fortunate that myself. 

I suppose for some gaming is a way of relieving stress, perhaps for some it actually increases stress :)

2 minutes ago, Japanime_Gamer said:

I still have 2 years of Games pass subscription left as i bought loads of it when it was on sale thinking I would use it, but sadly i have not and I dont really know why, I just prefer Sony's exclusives far far more I guess.

I have been fortunate to have worked full time throughout the pandemic and as such it has not really affected me in in an aspect of my life so perhaps am not feeling the same stress that others may do who are less fortunate that myself. 

I suppose for some gaming is a way of relieving stress, perhaps for some it actually increases stress :)

This pandemic has been very stressful for most people. Many people I know have lost their jobs permanently and that means they no longer have any income for almost 1 year now (Unemployment running out soon). The economy is not gonna recover that quickly. Next year will probably be a lot worse than this.

Edited by mvpeast
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Japanime_Gamer said:

I have Game Pass Ultimate going until early next year.  It's a great deal right now, especially when you consider the first party Xbox games that launch on it on release day.  But I see fewer sales and probably a significant price hike on services like that once the pesky secondhand market is gone and people have no other options.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mvpeast said:

This pandemic has been very stressful for most people. Many people I know have lost their jobs permanently and that means they no longer have any income for almost 1 year now (Unemployment running out soon). The economy is not gonna recover that quickly. Next year will probably be a lot worse than this.

I have no doubt of that.

Tough times lay ahead for us all, I mean whilst I have a job today, who knows about tommorow, for any of us.

I work in retail and i would say my experience is that the pandemic has not brought people together, it has not made us stronger, it has (in my experience) made many people more selfish and ruthless and more divisive and judgmental.

I can only speak for myself here but i have seen the best and the worst of humanity in the past 6 months.

Sorry back on topic, I have pre-ordered the PS5 but i doubt i will be buying any games any time soon for the console, not least because nothing is coming out just yet that i really want anyway.

Edited by Japanime_Gamer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stardroid said:

Who would have thought this thread would devolve into a discussion between people who overreact about pricing and simpletons who just eat that price bump up like it's English breakfast? I for one, am shocked. 

Considering the OP started at one extreme... it only makes sense that people would either agree or disagree with it.  You're more than welcome to provide some discussion towards the middle ground instead of, whatever it is you're doing here.

Edited by Dreakon13

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

Considering the OP started at one extreme... it only makes sense that people would either agree or disagree with it.  You're more than welcome to provide some discussion towards the middle ground instead of, whatever it is you're doing here.

I am merely a spectator. But I'll drop this then: 

How do companies make the most money? By preying on stupid, gullible people. And the more vulnerable ones. That's the unfortunate truth. 

Just now, Stardroid said:

I am merely a spectator. But I'll drop this then: 

How do companies make the most money? By preying on stupid, gullible people. And the more vulnerable ones. That's the unfortunate truth. 

Kinda funny that your one contribution appears to be one of the extreme sides of the spectrum you're criticizing other people for.

But thank goodness... Jimquisition... exists to do your speaking for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

Kinda funny that your one contribution appears to be one of the extreme sides of the spectrum you're criticizing other people for.

But thank goodness... Jimquisition... exists to do your speaking for you.

Thinking that the rise of game prices is not normal move is not an extreme stance to take. And Jimquisition also does not speak for me, he just provides decent arguments. That's Two logical fallacies in two sentences. Must feel bad being one of those. 

Edited by Stardroid

1 minute ago, Stardroid said:

Thinking that the rise of game prices is not normal move is not an extreme stance to take. And Jimquisition also does not speak for me, he just provides decent arguments. That's Two logical fallacies in two sentences. Must feel bad being one of those. 

Logical fallacies tend to exist due to a lack of information.  Since you linked to two videos you apparently have on retainer for situations where people try to talk to you, instead of giving me some detail on what YOU think, I was left with only the option of making leaps in logic to fill in your blanks.

And I guess the YouTube videos are quicker and easier than having to type out and regurgitate whatever Jimquisition thinks, so kudos to you on the shortcut.

21 minutes ago, Japanime_Gamer said:

I have no doubt of that.

Tough times lay ahead for us all, I mean whilst I have a job today, who knows about tommorow, for any of us.

I work in retail and i would say my experience is that the pandemic has not brought people together, it has not made us stronger, it has (in my experience) made many people more selfish and ruthless and more divisive and judgmental.

I can only speak for myself here but i have seen the best and the worst of humanity in the past 6 months.

Sorry back on topic, I have pre-ordered the PS5 but i doubt i will be buying any games any time soon for the console, not least because nothing is coming out just yet that i really want anyway.

Stay safe out there my friend. Someone got killed near where I live yesterday. Yes the world has gone to shits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Logical fallacies tend to exist due to a lack of information.  Since you linked to two videos you apparently have on retainer for situations where people try to talk to you, instead of giving me some detail on what YOU think, I was left with only the option of making leaps in logic to fill in your blanks.

And I guess the YouTube videos are quicker and easier than having to type out and regurgitate whatever Jimquisition thinks, so kudos to you on the shortcut.

I just posted two videos full of informatoin mate. You just make stupid assumptions. Currently busy sorry

Edited by Stardroid

4 minutes ago, Stardroid said:

I just posted two videos full of informatoin mate. You just make stupid assumptions. Currently busy sorry

It'll be an interesting conversation I'll have with Jimquisition when I talk to him after hearing what he thinks.  Still not sure what you're doing here.

Edited by Dreakon13

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It'll be an interesting conversation I'll have with Jimquisition when I talk to him after hearing what he thinks.  Still not sure what you're doing here.

I already said it mate, I am but a spectator. 

Edited by Stardroid

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

Your initial post made you a participant, and the lazy YouTube videos made you a particularly bad one.

I mean, you have been perpetuating this by being completely butthurt for half an hour now. Seems like I've struck a nerve. I don't have to be an excellent participant. You are making me a worse one though by looking for my attention. So I guess we'll stop that right now. 

13 minutes ago, Stardroid said:

I mean, you have been perpetuating this by being completely butthurt for half an hour now. Seems like I've struck a nerve. I don't have to be an excellent participant. You are making me a worse one though by looking for my attention. So I guess we'll stop that right now. 

23 minutes, and I'm working... browser keeps making noise when you reply back.  I'm stuck on here anyways, I have no reason to not keep it going.

But yeah, I find the laziness in people spamming YouTube personalities in place of their own opinions grating.  Garbage in, garbage out as they say.  Don't think I'll honestly be able to convince you of anything though without having a certain number of subscribers buying into my shit so... I dunno, good luck with that.

Edited by Dreakon13

Well people in europe are doubly fucked.

First the ps5 its around 100$ more expensive because of the currency. 499 dollars its not 499€...so from the start we are paying more.

(499€= 591$)

Second, on most european countrys games already had a price jump with the PS4 from 59.99€ to 69.99€..so now we are having another price rise from 69.99€ to 79.99€ 

(79.99€= 94$)

• Like 1