Kill Your Completion 14

9 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

And so we've reached the end. I'm ready for a relaxing visual novel after that last one. :lol: Haven't heard anything about this one, which may not be a good sign. The great visual novels are often mentioned a lot. Hopefully, it will be decent to great. 

I played it earlier this month and I'll say it should meet your hopes for decent to great.  I suspect it's one of those flies under the radar sorts of games because the dev and publisher are pretty unknown and it's actually a Chinese VN when most well known VNs are Japanese.  I'll keep my mouth shut otherwise and let you form your own opinions but I look forward to seeing your review on it!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

I played it earlier this month and I'll say it should meet your hopes for decent to great.  I suspect it's one of those flies under the radar sorts of games because the dev and publisher are pretty unknown and it's actually a Chinese VN when most well known VNs are Japanese.  I'll keep my mouth shut otherwise and let you form your own opinions but I look forward to seeing your review on it!

Good to know. ? Really does seem that way, since it only shows one of my friends has played it. Usually see a higher number on just about any game. But the cover caught my eye when browsing GameStop's website, so I decided to get it and a couple of others that were pretty cheap (under $10 for VNs isn't something I see too often, at least). One of which (Death Mark) was great, and the other (Kotodama)... not so much. ? If 2 out of 3 were good purchases, that'd be great. 

On 11/18/2020 at 9:34 AM, EdgeOfPortal said:

Glad you’re enjoying it! But, just a warning, please don’t put your PS5 in rest mode whenever you play this game. There’s a bug where turning your PS5 on rest mode while playing this game can sometimes brick your PS5. Playing it is fine, just avoid rest mode.

Thank you for the warning I was not aware such a bug existed it's just by luck I've been shutting down the system completely but that's scary hopefully Sony fixes that.

KYC 16 - Recap

Lots of ups and downs with my games during this KYC. Most, if not all games I won't bother to go back to, for various reasons.

Anyway, let's start with the best of this bunch rejects.

Recommendable:

• Zombie Vikings - fun and silly beat 'em up. It's a pretty fun time overall, definitely the best out of the bunch.
  • Anthem - Surprise, the gameplay is actually solid. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a solid game. Shame that it's online only...
  • Killzone Mercenary - If you want an FPS on your Vita, you should get this one. It's as simple as that.

Maybe worth it on sale, or if you have nothing else to play:

• Moon Hunters - intersting concept, but the gaemplay is just a bit bland. It also has a lot of stuttering, that occurs contantly.
  • Binary Domain - It's a decent TPS. It has it's fun moments, but the baby-sitting of your companions will get annoying eventually.
  • Dirt 3 - Very few different tracks, but a decent variety of cars. Still just an OK game.
  • Dragon Ball Battle of Z - only,if you are a Dragon Ball fan and need to have all the games. Very mediocre at best.

Politely decline, if these are gifted to you::

• TMNT Mutants in Manhattan - Underwhelming to say the least. Boring missions and dull environments. What a waste of an IP.
  • RWBY Grimm Eclipse - It0s like that TMNT, but worse. It's actually more boring, go figure. Also poorly balanced.
  • SSX - Least favourite game of the event. Hated every minute of it, and regret ever having tried it.

Other games played during the event:

• Rayman Origins - Decent game, for me as someone who isn0t the biggest fan of platformers. Looks great though. :silver:
  • Watch Dogs - Having a rough time getting into this game. The missions kind of feel drawn out... maybe its just too many open world games lately. :silver:
  • Mad Max - I din't partake in the plat craze. Instead I've been picking it up every once in a while, when I feel like something fun and mindless. :gold:
  • Uncharted Tides Port Royal - Medicore hidden object game (plat) :silver:
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations - Couldn't get into it. A third through teh game I got incredibly fed up with the mission progression. :silver:
  • Queen's Quest 4 - Another decent enough hidden object game. (plat) :silver:
  • Mortal Kombat - Finished arcade mode with all characters. It was a lot more fun, than I had anticipated. :gold:
  • The Suicide of Rachel Foster - It's a good walking sim, with and interesting story. Looks pretty good as well. (plat) :gold:
  • Code Vein - It's a fun anime soulslike. It lacks some polish though and some fights seem cheap and poor in design. :gold:
  • Pineview Drive - Has it's ups and downs. Cool little jump scares mixed with boring where's waldo in form of a key. (100%) :silver:
  • Edna & Harvey The Breakout - Not as good as the sequel. A ton of back and forth in this point-and-click. :silver:
  • Trüberbrook -- Looks really neat. Has similar issues as the previous game, and the story wasn't all that interesting - :silver:
  • Hitman 2 - barely spent time with this tbh. Only did the intro mission so far. Similar to the predecessor. :gold:
  • Life is Strange 2 - felt very contrived as a whole. All the characters are bloody detestable, except for  a select few who become irrelevant after the first episode :silver:
  • Spyro The Dragon - I was having a really good time with this game, until I reached the final boss. No checkpoints between "phases" has been making my life miserable. :silver:
Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 4

KYC 14

Game No. 6

Lcddfc5.png

Playing Time: 4-5 hours

Trophies Earned: 28/31 94%

Final Thoughts: So this is a point-and-click, hidden object find from Artifex Mundi. And it follows a similar pattern with Artifex Mundi titles...and yet it doesn’t.  Yep, finding X amount of so-and-so is still there, but the cheese-ball story with hammy voice acting is gone.  I finished the story and I hope Artifex Mundi does more games like this. 
  Starting the game, the story begins with a family and one of the children has a health issue. There is no narration or sub-titles, just story panels, so a departure from the Eventide series, Lost Grimoires series, etc., etc., etc.  A plush doll seems to be the child’s security, and suddenly this is mirroring the Velveteen Rabbit story.
Then the gameplay begins and you are in a fanciful world and the search begins! You need to find certain objects in a Salvador Dali-like landscape (yep, there’s melting clocks!) to unlock different rooms, or puzzles. Example: find 8 butterflies and you open up a puzzle. All the puzzles are different and well done. None take more than five minutes, but some definitely require some concentration. Fun, but not frustrating. 
 There are 4-5 chapters and none should take more than hour. That said, I can’t imagine playing more than one chapter in a sitting as the play gets redundant.  There are missable trophies but the good thing is there is a chapter select once you finish the game. And none of the missables go the length of the game so you can just clean up in the specific chapter. Also, as I cleaned up Chapter 1, I missed a clue that would’ve saved me lots of time and :cross: Clicks. The item(s) you are looking for are shown in the upper-right corner of the screen. It will show how many of that item you have collected and how many more you need. The thing I missed, and it’s in the tutorial (:facepalm:), is that if that item is in the current screen, it will light up blue to indicate that you haven’t found it yet. If the item box is gray, you have found all the items in that room. A simple overlook on my part, but a HUGE time saver for future players.

In the end, this game exceeded expectations. And it’s a far better story than any other Artifex Mundi game I have played. Quite odd, considering their other titles have a lengthy and drawn-out story to them. A delightful little game to play when you are looking for some casual, stress-free gaming. So perfect for Covid! 
Grade : :platinum:

• Like 3