Kill Your Completion 14

KYC 14

Wrap-Up

Another event in the books, and in keeping with KYC tradition, I didn’t get nearly enough time with all the games. And of course, my event review is a week late. Such is my schedule, even in these Covid times. Uncharacteristically, I abandoned two games in this event. That never happens, but circumstances were odd this November.

Here’s a brief review:

- Help Will Come Tomorrow -

- Tsarist Russian Survival game that I was not in the mood for. Too much babysitting in the game. Grade: Incomplete

- Bomber Crew -

- Only got through the tutorial. Didn’t have a chance to get back to it. Seems like a real-time management game in a WWII bomber. 
Grade: Incomplete

- Storm Boy -

- Game based on a novel that has some quality elements to it with its visual artistry, but it obscenely too short. A plat can be had in 7 minutes! Grade: :silver:

- Smoots Summer Games -

- Button-mashing nightmare. Don’t even consider buying unless you own a turbo controller. Grade: ?

- Need For Speed: Payback -

- NFS titles seem to register all over the Love/Hate meter with gamers. With a style of play reminiscent of The Crew, I’m having a heck of a lot of fun with this. I’ve already put more than 20 hours into the game. Grade: :platinum:

- My Brother Rabbit -

- Artifex Mundi veterans will recognize the gameplay, but it is done much better in this game than the other retread titles this developer has. Better visual style, less corny-story. Grade: :platinum:

KYC 14 Statistics                                                     (Pre-KYC)

Games Played/ Completed           159/115              154/115

Trophies Earned                              5265                    5170
Unearned Trophies                          774                      688

Trophy %                                          87.70                   88.89

Precentage Drop                             -1.19%

Thanks again to all participants! And a big thank you to @voodoo_eyes for hosting! Finish 2020 on a strong note and see y’all in a brighter 2021! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So yet another KYC where I end up dropping off the face of PSNP for a while.  Here’s some quick reviews of 3 games I played after my first 2 reviews. Having only touched a gaming device for 1 day in the last month due to work/COVID stuff, I almost got through my games.

Game #3: Atelier Totori Plus

Time played: 5.5 hrs

You play Totori, an apprentice alchemist who is more adept at explosions than alchemy when you start on the scene. She lives with her sister (oh, and her dad, didn’t see him there - running in-game joke) and she really wants to become a good alchemist and get her adventurer license since her mom disappeared years ago as an adventurer. Along with childhood friends Gino and Melvia, she starts her adventure.

Similar to other Atelier games, you explore nearby areas for harvesting a few points and battling monsters. In your home village (and ultimately a larger hub as well), you get quests and use your cauldron to do alchemy, synthesizing items like potions, bombs and other things to fulfill quests or aid your adventuring.

This is a follow up to Atelier Rorona and familiar characters will be seen as you progress forward. The story is more simple (adventure around and make new friends) but the formula works. Everything you do uses time and I assume this will play deeper as I progress though so far is doesn’t feel as omnipresent as the calendar did in Rorona.  I’m enjoying this and will likely get back to it over my next month of holidays.

Trophies earned: 5/29, 7%, D rank

Score: 7/10

Game #4: Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight

Time played: 4.5 hrs

This is a rhythm game starring the characters from Persona 3. You are brought to the Velvet Room in your dreams by Elizabeth, who is having a competition with her sisters (from Persona 5) and wants you to dance and excite the crowd so she can win a bet with them. All this will happen in the course of a night and your memory of it will be erased in the morning when you wake up. Using buttons on your controller you match up with actions on the outside of the screen, getting good, great or perfect (or miss!) and building combos for higher scores. You can also tap a joystick to “scratch” the record and build towards special dancing with a partner.

This is a fairly straightforward rhythm game, the characters are fun and, like any Persona game, builds towards social events by meeting certain criteria.  You can also customize your appearance as you unlock clothing and accessories. I played through all the currently unlocked songs on easy and was having fun with it. We’ll see how things go as I move into harder difficulty levels. 

Trophies earned: 13/42, 22%, E rank

Score: 7/10

Game #5: Timespinner

Time played: 1.5 hrs

This is a side-scrolling action Metroidvania where you are Lunais, a novice Time Messenger, who jumps into the time portal just as your village is attacked and your mother killed. You move forward through the area you land in using a magic orb to attack with and to use a chargeable spell attack against foes and jumping through the environment. Eventually, you find magic sand which allows you to freeze time for a moment, as a device for surviving in combat and reaching other areas. I’m sure other skills will be found as I move forward. There are some collectibles and health/sand boosters to find as well. I didn’t get too far here but like what I’ve seen so far. The controls feel tight and the gameplay is good. Different orbs give different types of attacks as you find them as well while you level up killing enemies.  I’ll come back to this and see whether it’s worth the journey.

Trophies earned: 3/37, 4%, E rank

Score: 6.5/10

Final Completion Rate: 83.70%
Overall change : -0.87%

So that’s a quick sum up. I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s reviews and may add a few games to my pile due to them.  I hope everyone had fun and here’s hoping my participation in this event next year goes more smoothly than any of them did for me this year. I wish everyone the best over the holidays, such as they are, and crossing fingers for a better 2021. Stay safe everyone!

• Like 4

May as well give an update, since I'm nearly done with two of my incomplete games, and don't know when I'll go back to the third (Fate/Extella...). 

Code Vein is pretty quick and easy to speedrun through on New Game+. Though that cathedral gets worse and worse each time. :lol: Even with a guide, it's just so long and tedious. Glad I won't have to play through it ever again. The real shitty part of the Plat though, is the one multiplayer trophy. Or single player, if you want to farm the medals even slower. 

You need 400 medals, and get one for killing a boss in co-op. The most in one dungeon is 5, though. And after killing the final one, your co-op partner gets the boot. So, that's about 80 runs of sending out a distress call, waiting for someone to join, killing the bosses as quick as possible, and then repeating it. Having someone to boost with would be way better, since the game isn't super active. This only worked for me, because I would Remote Play it during football games. And because it's boring as shit, so I was fine with long breaks. :P 10 more medals and I will finally be done. Hoping to pop it on Christmas due to my in-game attire, if I can find some other sad soul playing it on the 25th. :/ 

Shadow Warrior isn't too bad, for the most part. But Heroic difficulty is a different beast than Normal, and now the platinum rarity is starting to make sense. It's a lot harder, levels are so long, and one death means starting the level all over.. Made it to Chapter 7, after really struggling with two earlier levels. And after dying near the end of the level, I've been fairly unmotivated to try it again. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Game #5: Timespinner

Time played: 1.5 hrs

This is a side-scrolling action Metroidvania where you are Lunais, a novice Time Messenger, who jumps into the time portal just as your village is attacked and your mother killed. You move forward through the area you land in using a magic orb to attack with and to use a chargeable spell attack against foes and jumping through the environment. Eventually, you find magic sand which allows you to freeze time for a moment, as a device for surviving in combat and reaching other areas. I’m sure other skills will be found as I move forward. There are some collectibles and health/sand boosters to find as well. I didn’t get too far here but like what I’ve seen so far. The controls feel tight and the gameplay is good. Different orbs give different types of attacks as you find them as well while you level up killing enemies.  I’ll come back to this and see whether it’s worth the journey.

I actually picked this one up recently and also played for about 2 hours.

I'm in the same boat, that I still need to see where it goes. So far it has potential, but I'm not in love with the time stop mechanic so far. The use of it to use enemies as ledges does not feel right. Often enough, if you don't get the enemy in the right spot, it's opportunity lost and then you need to reset the screen. TO me that breaks the fluidity of the game So I'm hoping there's a better implementations of the mechanic down the line.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Is it already? Where did the time go?

Indeed, the last couple of months have gone by pretty fast, although pretty stressful.

In any case I've got myself some games ready for this, and am looking forward to what everyone else is going to try out.

11 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Indeed, the last couple of months have gone by pretty fast, although pretty stressful.

In any case I've got myself some games ready for this, and am looking forward to what everyone else is going to try out.

I have some ideas, like a few months worth of PS+ that I have not tried. But also I got a gift card from the 14th and trying to decide between three titles, Little Nightmare 2, the new Persona game coming out in a few days and Pumpkin Jack, which looks like Jak and daxter. I can only buy one. 

Edited by kingofbattle8174

15 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I have some ideas, like a few months worth of PS+ that I have not tried. But also I got a gift card from the 14th and trying to decide between three titles, Little Nightmare 2, the new Persona game coming out in a few days and Pumpkin Jack, which looks like Jak and daxter. I can only buy one. 

Sounds good. All of those titles seem interesting.and are on my wishlist.  Pumpkin Jack kind of seems to be the most generic to me, it's kind of difficult to tell how fun those games end up being

I'm doing a poll for my games this time around.