Save data not transferring between digital & physical copies

TimeLordCrow13y

So, I started this game from the free episode offered on the store, but hadn’t played through the episode in its entirety yet (at the beginning of night two). Liked it enough to pick up the full game. Bought a physical copy today and my save data doesn’t show up on the opening screen. So I redownloaded the first episode from the store (had already deleted it since I bought the full game) and my save data is there-but still not showing up on the physical copy. 

They are from from the same region. Is there any way I can fix this or should I just start over from the beginning? 

25 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Nope, you're stuck with the current situation so all you can do is start over from scratch :(.

Thanks, I figured as much. Just annoying since usually save data transfers between games as long as the region is the same. Guess it’s different b/c the digital version is only the first episode? 

Oh well, glad I didn’t play the free version any longer than I did, less to repeat! 

This is a very common issue, especially on the PS3 and there are several PS4 games with the same problem:

Incompatible Saves

This section is for GOTY/Complete Editions and Digital/Retail releases that have saves that aren't backwards compatible with each other or the regular releases.

GOTY/Complete Edition saves:

1. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Game of the Year)
  2. Batman: Arkham City (Game of the Year)
  3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Ultimate Edition)
  4. Bloodborne
  5. Dark Souls (Prepare to Die Edition) - This seems to vary for some absurd reason as sometimes the saves work, sometimes they don't so it's safer to assume they won't work with your existing copy.
  6. Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition - This seems to vary for some absurd reason as sometimes the saves work, sometimes they don't so it's safer to assume they won't work with your existing copy.
  7. Dirt 3: Complete Edition
  8. Dying Light: Enhanced Edition - NOTE: If you update to the latest version of the game then you can import your saves from other versions of the game, otherwise you can't.
  9. Horizon Zero Dawn (Latin America only)
  10. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Royal Edition
  11. L.A Noire (Complete Edition)
  12. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (GOTY Edition)
  13. Payday 2: Big Score Edition - This isn't compatible with the Crimewave Edition.
  14. Payday 2: Crimewave Edition - This isn't compatible with the Big Score Edition.
  15. Project Cars (GOTY Edition)
  16. Saints Row: The Third (The Full Package)
  17. Sniper Elite 3 (Ultimate Edition)
  18. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 1 (Ultimate Sith Edition/Essentials Range)
  19. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (GOTY Edition)
  20. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2* (Essentials Range)
  21. Uncharted 3 (Once you have a save from the GOTY Edition, you can't go back to the vanilla release)

Digital and Retail saves:

1. Assassin's Creed Chronicles
  2. Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL
  3. Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
  4. Dead Space: Extraction
  5. Dead Space 3
  6. Demon's Souls (US version but the others may be as well)
  7. Far Cry 3
  8. ICO Collection: Shadow of the Colossus
  9. LitteBigPlanet 3
  10. Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition
  11. Payday 2
  12. Rambo: The Video Game
  13. Rayman Origins
  14. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  15. Spec Ops: The Line
  16. The Council
  17. The Last of Us
  18. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  19. Tomb Raider: Underworld
  20. Wanted Corp

Both of the Above:

1. Burnout: Paradise
  2. Minecraft: Story Mode - The Complete Adventure (the game won't recognise the saves from either of the prior digital or retail releases)
  3. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - GOTY Edition
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I also suddenly found out that my digital copy of God of War 2018 cannot read the save file from the physical copy. Copying the save data to a USB, I can see that the digital copy saves files under folder CUSA07411, whereas the retail copy saved under CUSA07412. Is there something I can do? I already tried to copy the contents of the physical folder to the digital folder, but all my PS4 says is that the save data is "corrupted".

16 minutes ago, Zenpai said:

I also suddenly found out that my digital copy of God of War 2018 cannot read the save file from the physical copy. Copying the save data to a USB, I can see that the digital copy saves files under folder CUSA07411, whereas the retail copy saved under CUSA07412. Is there something I can do? I already tried to copy the contents of the physical folder to the digital folder, but all my PS4 says is that the save data is "corrupted".

Nope, all you can do is start a new game from scratch in your preferred version of choice and forfeit the other one.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1