Ever used in-game cheats and regretted it?

ElevExplorer64

Have you ever used any in-game cheats (anything that would NOT get you flagged) to earn trophies and just felt awful about it later on?

Personally, I regret using the debug mode to unlock most of the unmissable trophies in Jak and Daxter (PS4) early without any effort. Don't get me wrong, the flying and health regen cheats are very helpful and I don't regret using them, but I feel like an ass for using the debug mode specifically to "earn" the power cells needed for certain trophies. While I'm not a huge Jak and Daxter fan, I really feel like I cheated myself on this one. At least I have time to not make the same mistake on the PS3 version.

Regrets, I've had a few... that time I lost some four hours of progress in AC Rogue because I forgot to turn the cheats off, is one. Messing around with glitches and stuff to the point I bricked my copy of Pokemon Blue is also something I could have done without.

But, debug mode in Jak 2 and 3 I would do a thousand times over if I could, because screw those broken pieces of crap.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AK-1138 said:

But, debug mode in Jak 2 and 3 I would do a thousand times over if I could, because screw those broken pieces of crap.

I've used debug mode in Jak 2 and 3 as well (Jak 2 on PS4 is my second fastest platinum at roughly 90 seconds), and I'm not too bothered by it. Honestly, Jak 1 is just OK to me, which is odd since I really like platformers. I'm not really bothered about using the flying code in Jak 1, but I do feel bad about directly unlocking trophies with the debug mode.

I would say that auto popping Sound Shapes probably falls into this category and because I did auto pop 5 versions of it, I would say I kind of regret that and if there was a trophy delete option I'd only keep 1 version of the plat on my list.

• Like 1

Conan Exiles. Like many I made the game super trivial by using the console cheats because I thought it wasn't really worth spending too much effort and official servers sucked. Playing on a private server with a friend months later showed me that there was a lot of fun to be had in this game, so we played on this private server for weeks and I could have unlocked all the trophies naturally. Still was hella fun to play though.

• Like 1

It actually backfired on me in LEGO Batman 3. I used a character unlock cheat which led to the game not recognizing it. There was no going back - emailed the developers, tweeted at them, a few other gamers ran into the same glitch, leading me to suck it up or re do the 100% trophy. Stopped using any LEGO cheats after that.

Otherwise, I am in agreement that any game exploit should be capitalized on given how much gamers are trolled by near-impossible trophies by developers, lol.

...except Jak and Dexter debug, what’s the point? Just don’t play it if it’s a bad game. I did the first one legit, and will someday attempt II and III without debug. Sadly the debug hurts the rarity of the trophies.

Edited by PalaceOfLove706

Not quite a cheat, but I regret playing the PS4 God of War on Easy.

I didn’t want to memorize all of the tedious button combos so I mindlessly mashed my way through the game.  I finally had to learn a few combos at the very end to beat the hardest fights.  It was so ridiculously satisfying to chain together combos, and the brutality of the linked graphics was so rewarding, that I regret not playing on at least Normal if not Hard to force myself to master (and enjoy) the combos much earlier. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sure did.

Back in the Xbox 360 days (when I couldn't care less for trophies) I started playing Saint Row 2 but found it too hard (I was 11 years old and wasn't into console gaming) and activated cheats such as invincibility, speed run, unlimited ammo, unlimited cash etc.

Never used any cheats on Ps4 though. I complete games the right way or not at all, but not with cheats.