Another English Kamen Rider Game!?

Forgot this was being released at all.

Trophy list doesn't seem complicated. Beat the game, then grind missions for blueprints, rankings, combo chains and enemy count. The last couple games all had easy combo tricks discovered in the first couple days, I would expect this to be no different.

4 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

Really hope so myself. Kamen Rider needs more love in the West.

Saban has burned two chances, but I'm willing to give them a third. Hell, the current rider, Saber, seems like it sell in the west well with few edits.

Edit: I haven't done any reading on this game since the project announcement, apparently it's including one of the pre-production forms for OOOs that was released (voice only) with one of the toys. That's cool.

Edited by Jelly Soup
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jelly Soup said:

Forgot this was being released at all.

Trophy list doesn't seem complicated. Beat the game, then grind missions for blueprints, rankings, combo chains and enemy count. The last couple games all had easy combo tricks discovered in the first couple days, I would expect this to be no different.

Saban has burned two chances, but I'm willing to give them a third. Hell, the current rider, Saber, seems like it sell in the west well with few edits.

Edit: I haven't done any reading on this game since the project announcement, apparently it's including one of the pre-production forms for OOOs that was released (voice only) with one of the toys. That's cool.

That's awesome!!  OOO is probably my favourite of the modern Riders with Decade being another.

What was the second chance Saban burned? I know he did the 90s Masked Rider. (Which was horrible because let's face it Kamen Rider is at most a young teen show it's pretty open in the death and killing.) I guess there was Amazon Riders too but I don't think Saban did that one though could be wrong.

9 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

What was the second chance Saban burned? I know he did the 90s Masked Rider. (Which was horrible because let's face it Kamen Rider is at most a young teen show it's pretty open in the death and killing.) I guess there was Amazon Riders too but I don't think Saban did that one though could be wrong.

Saban's second run was Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. It was an adaption of Ryuki and was actually pretty good. They tried to fix everything wrong with Ryuki, make it take itself more seriously, lean into the drama, give it an appropriate OST. The final product was actually pretty good, as a kind of soft drama, the kind you used to see on 90s Fox. It just didn't bring in the numbers, so it got cancelled before airing it's final, fully produced season.

The new Amazon was a Toei production, but it got around because Amazon(.com) was the distributor. It's also pretty good, do recommend.

4 hours ago, Wavergray said:

I was hoping Vulcan, Valkyrie, Jin would be playable, but looks like they will not be.

I'm not even sure they are in the game at all, even as a mention. Prerelease statements talk about all the Riders that are supposed to be seen and they aren't on the list. Which would hold with with Toei's rule of thumb about adaption products being locked to what was available when production started, with some reasonable edits.

Saban's second run was Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. It was an adaption of Ryuki and was actually pretty good. They tried to fix everything wrong with Ryuki, make it take itself more seriously, lean into the drama, give it an appropriate OST. The final product was actually pretty good, as a kind of soft drama, the kind you used to see on 90s Fox. It just didn't bring in the numbers, so it got cancelled before airing it's final, fully produced season.

Saban did not do Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, it was another company named Adness Entertainment. It was a really good show.

Saban thought about adapting Kamen Rider as "Power Rider" (To go with Power Ranger), but nothing ever came of it. As of now the licensing rights in the US for both Super Sentai (power rangers) and Kamen Rider belong to Hasbro (the toy company).

I'm not even sure they are in the game at all, even as a mention. Prerelease statements talk about all the Riders that are supposed to be seen and they aren't on the list. Which would hold with with Toei's rule of thumb about adaption products being locked to what was available when production started, with some reasonable edits.

True. Maybe there will be DLC for the other Zero-One riders and Saber.

Edited by Wavergray

1 hour ago, Wavergray said:

Saban did not do Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, it was another company named Adness Entertainment. It was a really good show.

Saban thought about adapting Kamen Rider as "Power Rider" (To go with Power Ranger), but nothing ever came of it. As of now the licensing rights in the US for both Super Sentai (power rangers) and Kamen Rider belong to Hasbro (the toy company).

You are correct, my memory was faulty there!

Interestingly, I remembered Power Rider first being pitched using Decade. Looking it up again, I keep finding chatter about a Zi-O adaption being shot next year for eventual release on Netflix, but no sources.

They've been doing Asian English releases since Climax Fighters so it's at least selling which is nice. It's a shame we don't get English Premium Sound editions but I can understand why. At least you can import the Japanese Premium Sound Edition on Switch this time and it should be in English based on the eShop listing.

12 hours ago, Wavergray said:

It will be interesting to see if we actually get a good Kamen Rider for once. The last 4 or so have been okay at best.

Based on the gameplay footage we've seen I wouldn't get my hopes up. It'll probably be better than Climax Fighters and Climax Scramble but probably not better than that. It doesn't look like it'll even reach the heights of All Kamen Rider Generation, Battride War, Super Climax Heroes, SNES, or Seigi no Keifu. If anything it'll be the foundation for a properly good sequel rather than a good game on its own.

Enemies look very passive, movement looks clunkier than indie games attempting the same sort of combat, Riders have better movesets than in Battride War but it seems like it's really easy to get high combos, enemies did nothing in the footage we saw unless they were wielding guns, SSS requirements look laughably easy as the footage of W in the parking lot had him taking like eight hits and only making a 10 or 20 combo on two enemies and he still got it, and enemies all look like damage sponges with super armor if they're bigger than regular mooks.

I'm expecting "good" is as high as it will get and that's fine as long as the sequel pulls a Battride War 2 or a Super Climax Heroes and refines everything. Shame it wasn't W/OOO/Fourze though and also a shame it only has Sougo's actor as the returning VA when Shu and Renn returned multiple times to reprise OOO and W in games.

Edited by soliunasm

I'm happy I was able to pre order the standard edition, did look on the Singapore site and you had the option of buying the English sub of the premium, now it says its unavailable. while I'm not expecting big things, as this is only my 2nd rider game I played. I am looking forward to seeing Ankh again, OOO is one of my favourite Heisei riders, after Kuuga, Agito and faiz. I do want to take my sweet time on this, so hopefully it will last.

Is anyone here planning on doing a guide for the game?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ninjagirl657 said:

I am looking forward to seeing Ankh again

About that.

Someone with more experience with past Rider games like this, think that will actually happen?

I recall reading reviews for Battride and Climax heroes complaining that we never see a proper henshin because the Riders step out in their base form by default. Something about either not being will to recreate the character actors in the game or being unwilling to do it.

• 1 month later...

So, nearing complete and I'm still not sure of how to get a 200 hit chain. Best I've been able to pull off is 104. Are the three railshooting parts the best place to do it?

Edit: For anyone stopping in, the solution for this is to switch to Accel, group up at least three enemies, use Trial form's maximum drive. Got a chain of 195 at end of attack, did a few post defeat hits, done.

Edited by Jelly Soup
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 0:13 PM, Jelly Soup said:

So, nearing complete and I'm still not sure of how to get a 200 hit chain. Best I've been able to pull off is 104. Are the three railshooting parts the best place to do it?

Edit: For anyone stopping in, the solution for this is to switch to Accel, group up at least three enemies, use Trial form's maximum drive. Got a chain of 195 at end of attack, did a few post defeat hits, done.

You can use LunaTrigger on any enemy that has an armor value higher than the Foundation X soldiers or those Naruto-running robots then simply wait for the armor to regen. There's also a moment in the Desert Sector where you fight a certain Dopant that has an enormous amount of armor that LunaTrigger can back away from repeatedly. Trial also works for sure but you need to land the EX Attack properly and it's kind of finicky to get three in it.

6 hours ago, soliunasm said:

You can use LunaTrigger on any enemy that has an armor value higher than the Foundation X soldiers or those Naruto-running robots then simply wait for the armor to regen. There's also a moment in the Desert Sector where you fight a certain Dopant that has an enormous amount of armor that LunaTrigger can back away from repeatedly. Trial also works for sure but you need to land the EX Attack properly and it's kind of finicky to get three in it.

I didn't have too much trouble using Trial for it. Early in the game, visitors center area, there are four or five enemies per narrow hallways, so lining them up is easy. Additionally, if you've already beaten the game, do the battle mode trials from the title screen. The reward for the highest difficulty is a mod that makes your EX bar unlimited. And EX form is invincible while you're in it. So change to Trial, dick around until much of the hallway is in front of you, use EX attack and if that isn't enough immediately use it again after the animation ends.

Throughout the whole game, I've been trying for the 200 hit combo using different methods, I even tried jelly soup method. The most I got was an 173 hit using 000's Petra form, when you first get the form using the R1 unique ability to rack up hits, accel 2nd form is good with the R1 ability to rack up hits easily. It can be done using any of the rider's and change form's, but I did find the guide helpful, as I was lucky I was just in the area. Save before the T-rex Dophant in the desert, very big and you can't miss it. As it's slow and their is no other enemies to interrupt you, it's a good place to do it.

I did W's luna Trigger method of holding R1 to rack up hit's, press triangle to get the 1 hit, while your R1 gauge refills to keep the combo going, rinse & repeat, got a 258 hit in the end. Found this method the best and you don't waste the ex gauge using the other method. Nearly platinum the game and loved every minute of it, wish they had more enemies, as you literally have to move the story to get into fights, giving you no way to farm enemies. Hopefully they make a second one and include kamen rider black, V3 & the remaining Showa & Heisei riders.

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 10:12 AM, ninjagirl657 said:

Hopefully they make a second one and include kamen rider black, V3 & the remaining Showa & Heisei riders.

I can guarantee you there will eventually be one centered around Saber, as that's normally how it goes, but it probably won't be like this one. This one is a bit more beat'em up style, where as most of the Sony Rider games have been musou type games.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 9:29 PM, Lord_Bane999 said:

More riders would always be fun but it will probably always come down to licensing then development time. (Plus some early riders I hate to say it would almost be no better then as a skin as similar style attacks just different look.)

In a very general sense, Toei licenses out the entire Rider line to game maker X, with a contractual obligation to make the current Rider a focus. Mixed with how many Riders there are at this point, the main cast of any given game has to be pretty narrow. I'd imagine Saber would end up like Fourze: A series that's proving to not be popular, selling few toys and being regulated as the poster boy for the next Climax Heroes (which is primarily a fighting game series). Verses, say, Den-O, the single most profitable Rider, who was jammed into everything they could find. Had covid not hit, I'd of expected Zero-One to be given the same treatment.