11 Trophies but has a platinum

Ironloss

It's increasingly not uncommon. It's a flat fee to add a platinum to your games trophy list and having one demonstrably increases sales. If they have the resources to pay for it, no reason not to from a business perspective.

Also kind of a neat looking VR game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jelly Soup said:

It's increasingly not uncommon. It's a flat fee to add a platinum to your games trophy list and having one demonstrably increases sales. If they have the resources to pay for it, no reason not to from a business perspective.

Also kind of a neat looking VR game.

Wait, you mean Toby Fox paid for those shitty trophies?

56 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Wait, you mean Toby Fox paid for those shitty trophies?

The platinum, at least.

It's supposed to be a flat fee to have one added to your game, but I've never seen what the price was (one dev, years ago, quoted it at $200 per region release, while more recent ones said it ranged from $50 on up based on how many products you have published on the PSN).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

The platinum, at least.

It's supposed to be a flat fee to have one added to your game, but I've never seen what the price was (one dev, years ago, quoted it at $200 per region release, while more recent ones said it ranged from $50 on up based on how many products you have published on the PSN).

Really?!?

Hey Capcom, I can spot ya $50 for an RE4 plat. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LordBilbanes said:

Personally I think there should be a minimum number of trophies in a game before it can get a platinum.

11 gold trophies is the absolute minimum to get a plat. A game with a plat needs to have between 1260 - 1350 trophy points (base game). With 11 gold + 1 plat you end up at 1290.

• Like 3

Seems crazy to me that small games like this will have a plat but Resident Evil 4 did not, either release. I guess I'll have to wait for the remake in 2022 (?) to finally have the shiny plat for one of my all-time favourite games, even if it is a reimagined version.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

Sony doesn't allow for games to add a platinum after the fact.

DLC also can't have trophies added after release.

What do you mean DLC cant have trophies added after release? Do you mean they can't add a DLC list after they release a game, cause that's not true. And if you mean they can't add more trophies to a DLC just look at Killing Floor 2.

Just now, BestUsername---- said:

What do you mean DLC cant have trophies added after release? Do you mean they can't add a DLC list after they release a game, cause that's not true. And if you mean they can't add more trophies to a DLC just look at Killing Floor 2.

That if you release DLC, you can't add trophies to that DLC. You have to do it prior to release or not at all. Example of this is Island Saver's first DLC not having trophies. They added the achievements to Steam after the DLC had come out, since it doesn't have that limitation. The  2nd DLC has trophies.

• Like 1

If a for-profit company decides it wants to take this route and there is a market for this kind of thing...I don't really see a problem with it. If you want to pay to have a platinum...it's all about just being able to say you have one. It's not like actual trophy hunters that really enjoy seeing what devs are capable of doing from a lot of different aspects and through 40 to 100 plus hours are suddenly going to respect this kind of trophy or this practice.

I can't see a scenario where this becomes the dominant approach in the industry...but for some games with long dead multiplayer trophies that are impossible to get...I can see a plus side in certain instances to this kind of thing even for a die-hard trophy hunter if they are able to apply this retroactively to dead titles from past consoles. It's not like Machine Games is going to start offering Mein Leben trophies for cash because the casuals are going to scream foul about "pay to win" which opens up a whole other Pandoras Box of problems. I'm not sure that Sony would be behind this sort of practice across the board because if it applied to all titles it would ultimately render the whole system of trophies meaningless. Their goal is to get people to spend more time on the consoles and to play the games offered on the system...and the trophy system is designed to be able to track a moment in time and issue a receipt for an achievement in play and the ability to go back and revisit a fond memory. Pay to win defeats all of that in return for short-term gains which is a recipe for another "E.T." desert dump crisis in the industry...and this time there is no Nintendo to bail the market out.

In the case that it's just pay to unlock the trophy that you still have to go in and achieve...that's the dumbest "B" squad business hustler move in the history of "B" squad business hustler moves.

1 hour ago, BestUsername---- said:

What Elvick said above. As for Killing Floor 2, there are a few reasons this could happen. Listing as new DLC in submission with the same title name as a previous pack (something Sony's submission policy frowns on, but it's on them to catch it, so....), time gating the trophies ahead of time, simple human error, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AvengedEvil said:

Lol, there are already 180 trophy lists with the same pattern. ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LH0066NF2JJH-0To355YZ9veMFf5QmzRQfC7VmsH2QU/edit#gid=0

Oh jeez, I was not aware that this was such a common affair haha. I was just surprised because I remembered that RE4 didn't have a plat, but I saw that this game did with the same amount of trophies.

4 hours ago, AvengedEvil said:

11 gold trophies is the absolute minimum to get a plat. A game with a plat needs to have between 1260 - 1350 trophy points (base game). With 11 gold + 1 plat you end up at 1290.

I should clarify.  I think having eleven gold trophies in order to have a game quality for a platinum is something that should be forbidden.  It makes platinum trophies meaningless.  A game should have a minimum of at least 25 individual trophies to quality for a platinum.  Those trophies easily could've all been bronze trophies.

And yes, I am fully aware of the fact that I have played some of the very games that had such easy platinums, so I am guilty of hypocrisy on this, though my stance on this has hardened of late.

Edited by LordBilbanes

4 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

I should clarify.  I think having eleven gold trophies in order to have a game quality for a platinum is something that should be forbidden.  It makes platinum trophies meaningless.  A game should have a minimum of at least 25 individual trophies to quality for a platinum.  Those trophies easily could've all been bronze trophies.

And yes, I am fully aware of the fact that I have played some of the very games that had such easy platinums, so I am guilty of hypocrisy on this, though my stance on this has hardened of late.

I mean, the difficulties of individual trophies matters much more than how many trophies there are. You could have a game with all bronzes where they're just, "donate five coins! Donate ten coins! Donate fifteen coins!" or you could have a game with ten golds where it takes years to grind them out. How many trophies there are is just how many different sets of conditions there are; it says absolutely nothing for how hard those conditions are to achieve.

• Like 2