Introducing the new PlayStation App, redesigned to enhance your gaming experiences on PS4 and PS5

Ghost

for the most part I like the new app.... except... push notifications aren't working, messaging is slow ass and I really miss the friend's feed.. and I really don't need to see the last 3 games I played... I already know.. as for the wishlist.. there is a push notification setting for wishlist updates...so maybe in the future

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I'm getting message notifications (I'm on android).

Probably a silly question, but have you double-checked your push notification settings?

Yes, of course I have. I checked the settings multiple times on both my general settings and in the app itself. Everything's turned on. Still don't get most notifications, aside from the occasional game invitation, those do seem to get pushed to my phone's main screen..

And I got the iPhone SE 2020 this past summer, so it's a brand-new model. iOS (firmware) updated and everything, so I'm convinced this is not an issue on my part. Any other Apple users who are experiencing the same thing with the new app?

I'll add that message notifications did work perfectly several weeks ago back when the PS Messages app was still fully functional.

Edit: I heard from someone else that apparently, the app doesn't push notifications like messages if you're online on your PS4/PS5. If that's a legit change they made, that is completely retarded. Awful decision. And I do miss the activity feed. For an app that's supposed to keep you connected with people on PSN, those two design decisions make absolutely no sense. The sooner they rectify this, the better.

Edited by JoaLoft

1 hour ago, YeWeeScumBag said:

Have they removed the "whats new" / "activities" ? I prefer the new app but seems kinda shit without the news feed.

Came here to ask the same thing, I’ve searched every inch of this app. Pretty sure they removed the activity feed, which is disappointing. App is super clean and I love it... but I also loved checking what people were up to trophy wise as well ?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

Have you updated your phone?

My phone is updated. Using Android 10 on a Samsung Galaxy 9 handset.

I've just checked the Google Play store now and it is still showing the old 23 March version 19.15.0 that's still in the store.

Do different Google Play stores update at different times for different regions? Maybe that's the issue. I'm in South Africa.

LoL I just checked on my super old iPhone 5 (spare phone) and the new app is available there (version 20.9.3 - 29 October).

Will wait a few more days for the update.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

Why the hell they got rid of WISHLIST! Now I cant remember all the games I had on there!! Thanks SONY!! 

They gave ample notice, it’s an extremely confusing thing to get rid of, but maybe they’re expanding it so others can view your wishlist and adding in a gifting feature?

20 hours ago, MickeyMixLipa said:

At first glance, genuinely thought the app was confusing to get a handle on. 

After playing around for a few hours it's actually pretty good. The only issue is messages seem to be ridiculously slow and it's still not pushing out notifications when you receive one. 

Other than that, it's pretty good looking. 

To my knowledge the updated app isn’t adding in push notifications for messages. Extremely stupid but I don’t believe it’s a bug.

On 10/29/2020 at 6:46 PM, Cryogenicide_X said:

The one thing I've noticed is that we still have the gold star next to our PSN level? It should be the new badge icon replacing the gold star depending on what your PSN level is. The trophy icons are the new redesigned ones. 

Think they said PS5 would get it first, the app later.

So theres no at a glance of what trophies or post people are making? I normally start my day looking at that on the old app and "liking" what I see but I dont see that with the new app anymore...

Aside from the lack of a wishlist (seriously Sony...why no wishlist!?) I actually really like the look of the new app. And they immediately went with a dark mode instead of the white they seem to be going with for everything now...so that earns them points in my book. Plus, I like that the App and Messages are integrated again...never liked that they split those. 

2 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

To my knowledge the updated app isn’t adding in push notifications for messages. Extremely stupid but I don’t believe it’s a bug.

Kind of a stupid move removing push notifications imo. Possibly they've done it because instead of being messages, now they're acting like groups? 

2 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

They gave ample notice, it’s an extremely confusing thing to get rid of, but maybe they’re expanding it so others can view your wishlist and adding in a gifting feature?

I'm receiving push notifications fine. I think you will only not receive one if the sender uses PS4 to send the message.

The app looks great but here why I hate it so much now:

1. I can’t see activity feed anymore cause I liked to check what my friends was doing and all that without scrolling ages from the console.

2. I can’t change my background or even see it.

I don’t get how people like it they removed so many great futures...

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, FearlessElle said:

The app looks great but here why I hate it so much now:

1. I can’t see activity feed anymore cause I liked to check what my friends was doing and all that without scrolling ages from the console.

2. I can’t change my background or even see it.

I don’t get how people like it they removed so many great futures...

Having an activity feed and looking/commenting on posts/trophies was definitely one of my favorite aspects!

• Like 4

Do we know when the PS Messages app is going to self-destruct? I now have both the updated PS app with built-in messages and the separate PS Messages app.

Which is better in some aspects, by the way. You can zoom in or rotate images when you open them in the message. You can't do that in the new one for some reason. I just love looking at someone's 16:9 screenshot on a vertical screen. I also don't see the button to look at all images in a conversation. It is there in the old one.

It's cool that the PS Store is integrated. But it's funny that you can't change the avatar in the app. It loads the Sony web page instead. Really?

On 28.10.2020 at 9:59 PM, DaivRules said:

I'm hoping there is a light theme option. My eyes can't take dark theme with bold white fonts, it triggers migraines.

Haven't found the light theme option.

There are definitely a lot of bad dark themes. And I rarely see good ones. I absolutely despise dark themes with bright white fonts and other elements. In this case, I think it's not bad. There are light-grey tones used here and there. This is my second day of using the app, and I haven't felt he need of a light theme yet.