Introducing the new PlayStation App, redesigned to enhance your gaming experiences on PS4 and PS5

Ghost

On 30/10/2020 at 1:40 PM, Skurkitty said:

Came here to ask the same thing, I’ve searched every inch of this app. Pretty sure they removed the activity feed, which is disappointing. App is super clean and I love it... but I also loved checking what people were up to trophy wise as well 1f615.png

I know I can't fault it other than the activity feed always nice to scroll through and check what everyone's doing. Hopefully it gets implemented real soon. 

• Like 3

The app really looks nice but unfortunately its completely failed for two big reasons for me:

1. The Wishlist, where has it gone! I had a list of over 60 games I watched. Every Wednesday morning I would wake up and check for discounts as the discounts were applied hours before you would see them in their respective deal in the Store. The Wishlist was the only thing I used the app for!

2. The Store itself. It's nice to see the icons for the games - but - where are the names. I've got to try and find them from the front cover, sometimes written really small and I'm having to spend time looking at them. On the old app I've just been reading the game names as I've scrolled through not looking at the covers.

I'm glad messages are now in one app rather than separate but that is the only benefit for me right now, a huge step backwards I'm afraid. Hopefully they will fix going forward.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2020 at 11:51 PM, NERVergoproxy said:

I think people are confused when Sony says removal of PS Messages because that is what the app is called, not messages to app itself.

Messages app still exists it even had an update for me.

What I meant is the notifications they removed on PS4 for messages from other PS4 consoles it's annoying and the fact they are trying to push everything now to phone but then try to integrate it into one app which makes the assumption now they may drop he separate app. It's like between this, party chat and messages being needed to set up parties they took something that worked extremely well and just butchered it to hell.

Deleted the PS App and Messages app in an attempt to get the actual new app from Play Store. It installed the old PS app, and now I have to re-download the damn message app again too.

What's next Sony? You gonna wipe out all my Cloud saves next? Clowns.

9 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

1. The Wishlist, where has it gone! I had a list of over 60 games I watched. Every Wednesday morning I would wake up and check for discounts as the discounts were applied hours before you would see them in their respective deal in the Store. The Wishlist was the only thing I used the app for!

I know this won’t restore your wishlist but the PSDeals app has a wishlist feature. It’s what I check for all sales.

20 hours ago, Akarinosyokkaku said:

The UI looks great, but I can't see my friends' activities anymore...I hope they'll bring it back

Yes please. I scoured the app looking for this and didn't find it. Why would they abandon this feature!? I figured it had to help sell games.

"So and so played the new bad ass game for the first time"

Stuff like that in my feed all the time haha.

Hopefully they’ll refine the app in the future to add wishlists, filters and game names in store. 
They should also add the friends’ activities back in as I like to see what new games and recent trophies people are playing and getting. 
Also, maybe make it easier to see your entire trophy list. ??‍♀️

• Like 1

On 2020-10-31 at 2:08 AM, thefinalboss_666 said:

cool app update I guess if you're a dweeb that actually uses it. but real question is where the hell is the communities app Sony? How bout we bring that back?

Did you seriously just call people dweebs and then talk about the worthless communities feature? Hahahahaha 

Noticed the new app last night. I started using right away and had no major issues with it. Design-wise, I like the new sleek look that it has. It looks pretty. Functionality-wise, I know there are a lot of features missing compared to the previous one. I didn't even use the previous one that much and even I noticed right away.

The old PS Messages app still works, though. I guess it's going to keep working for a few more days? I frequently used this one because sendng messages was all that I needed from it. My previous phone sort of lagged with the original PS App too, so that's why I got used to using PS Messages instead. However, this new app works great on my current phone. For the time being, I deleted PS Messages and I'm sticking with the new PS App.

One thing that I find kind of heartbreaking is that I can only see what my friends are playing gon PS4. If someone is playing with his or her PS3 or Vita, it doesn't show which game is being played. Is this just me or is this how Sony forgets about their legacy devices? :hmm:

• Like 2

On 01/11/2020 at 7:33 AM, Skurkitty said:

I know this won’t restore your wishlist but the PSDeals app has a wishlist feature. It’s what I check for all sales.

Thank you, unfortunately I don't have an i-phone so couldn't use it but instead I've started using another app called "PS Store DNA", it's very basic but it's got a Wishlist, shows discounts and shows the names of the games so it's leaps and bounds ahead of the pretty looking but redundant PS App.

10 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

Thank you, unfortunately I don't have an i-phone so couldn't use it but instead I've started using another app called "PS Store DNA", it's very basic but it's got a Wishlist, shows discounts and shows the names of the games so it's leaps and bounds ahead of the pretty looking but redundant PS App.

PSPrices.com also for different regional sales.

On 11/1/2020 at 8:40 PM, Honor_Hand said:

One thing that I find kind of heartbreaking is that I can only see what my friends are playing gon PS4. If someone is playing with his or her PS3 or Vita, it doesn't show which game is being played. Is this just me or is this how Sony forgets about their legacy devices? :hmm:

I’m really upset about it. I would use that and PS Messages to see who’s online on PS3. So I still have PS Messages installed for that reason. And yes Sony keeps showing more and more that they want us to forget about their legacy devices. What they did with this app update makes it absolutely certain for me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, abercrombie123 said:

I’m really upset about it. I would use that and PS Messages to see who’s online on PS3. So I still have PS Messages installed for that reason. And yes Sony keeps showing more and more that they want us to forget about their legacy devices. What they did with this app update makes it absolutely certain for me.

Agreed. From what I've seen so far, they really don't give any form of support to their legacy devices. That in itself is pretty dismal. They should at least try to keep a minimum level of functionality on them, but instead, they go the route of dismantling them to push people forward, I guess. As a consumer, I honestly don't like that.

On 1/11/2020 at 9:40 PM, Honor_Hand said:

Noticed the new app last night. I started using right away and had no major issues with it. Design-wise, I like the new sleek look that it has. It looks pretty. Functionality-wise, I know there are a lot of features missing compared to the previous one. I didn't even use the previous one that much and even I noticed right away.

The old PS Messages app still works, though. I guess it's going to keep working for a few more days? I frequently used this one because sendng messages was all that I needed from it. My previous phone sort of lagged with the original PS App too, so that's why I got used to using PS Messages instead. However, this new app works great on my current phone. For the time being, I deleted PS Messages and I'm sticking with the new PS App.

I'd like to go back on this previous post and add one area where the app really needs some improvement, and that is on how frequently it updates its feed and show you the most recent messages. The old PS App and the PS Messages app also had this issue in which it would take a while for messages to show on the app. That is, it updates its feed at a very, very slow rate compared to how instant, say, WhatsApp and Discord are, by comparison. And there's no way to change the settings so that it updates quicker, as far as I know.

I thought this new app was going to fix that, but nope, it's still an issue. I've been talking with a friend here, and the messages pop-up on my PS4, and then take like a minute or so to appear on the app. Sometimes I have to go back and forth on a conversation multiple times until the message finally appears. So, it is still as laggy as it was before. They seriously need to fix this. I mean, it's 2020, this is the only messaging app I have ever used that has such a delay in displaying messages.

21 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

Agreed. From what I've seen so far, they really don't give any form of support to their legacy devices. That in itself is pretty dismal. They should at least try to keep a minimum level of functionality on them, but instead, they go the route of dismantling them to push people forward, I guess. As a consumer, I honestly don't like that.

I'd like to go back on this previous post and add one area where the app really needs some improvement, and that is on how frequently it updates its feed and show you the most recent messages. The old PS App and the PS Messages app also had this issue in which it would take a while for messages to show on the app. That is, it updates its feed at a very, very slow rate compared to how instant, say, WhatsApp and Discord are, by comparison. And there's no way to change the settings so that it updates quicker, as far as I know.

I thought this new app was going to fix that, but nope, it's still an issue. I've been talking with a friend here, and the messages pop-up on my PS4, and then take like a minute or so to appear on the app. Sometimes I have to go back and forth on a conversation multiple times until the message finally appears. So, it is still as laggy as it was before. They seriously need to fix this. I mean, it's 2020, this is the only messaging app I have ever used that has such a delay in displaying messages.

Same. No other app I’ve used has such a long delay. It’s honestly pathetic. Sony should just partner with Discord for next gen... but they wont

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 1:59 PM, Honor_Hand said:

Both Steam and Microsoft’s Xbox One/Series X have a library of old games you were able to play on the old systems back in the day. However the option is still there for Windows 10 and Xbox Series X, available at any time. 

Sony was always shit about this. The LAST time they had any real backwards compatibility was the 1st model PS3, which was able to play PS2 games. That was back in 2006, so that is now a long time ago. 

PS Now is not a proper substitute. So nowadays, someone wanting to play Super Stardust HD is now going to have to jump through hoops to even try the goddamn game. And it doesn’t stop there. Sony has shown a very obvious lack of care and sympathy for ANYTHING past a few years, meaning the entire PS3/Vita library. 

Preservation is important. Try saying that to Jim Ryan. He doesn’t give a shit. He’s really no different from the CEO of Comcast, Century Link, Walmart and those other giant corporations that put short term profit margins above anything else. I don’t think Jim Ryan gives a shit about the long term at Sony, he just wants everybody to jump ship to the PS5, regardless of what people think. 

This sets a bad example for an all digital world. The current business model just doesn’t work. You either continue to allow people to find and buy these games, or let physical still be a thing. Let me pick the fucking games. Don’t force me to go through DRM bullshit. The very idea of games REQUIRING live streaming to play is a scary one. 

The video game industry was better off when developers had more say and control, instead of giant billion dollar publishers pushing a deadline, and letting pricks like Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer have the helm.

• Like 1