How feasible is Proud/Speedster?

I’m about to complete all the other trophies (only have Synthesis Master & Keyblade Master left) probably will take another hour or three at max to complete. My playtime is currently around 67 hours. I’m not exactly thrilled by the thought of just messing around for another 30+ hours or just letting the console run idle for that long. 

I’m not great at this game at all, but seeing as I kind of know what I’m doing in regards to where to go/what to do, would beating the game in under 15 hours on Proud be too difficult? 

Probably, yeah. Proud mode can require some extra grinding if you aren't decently skilled at handling mobs and/or certain boss fights in the game. You'd have to be pretty fluid with the combat to finish Proud Mode and get the speedster trophy in the same playthrough--and unlike other KH games, this one is consistently difficult on Proud Mode, unlike KH2FM where critical mode is a lot harder early game than later on.

If you want to give it a shot to see if you can save yourself a playthrough go ahead, just know that if you don't think you're great at this game at all, you may struggle a lot more on Proud Mode than expected.

• Like 1

I don’t remember proud being overly difficult with the exception of one story line boss. It is doable, but you need to ensure that you skip cutscenes and ensure you are wearing the best gear. 

Skipping the cutscenes makes a beginner run about 4-6 hours long if you’re efficient - the 15 hours is quite generous in that sense. 

I don’t know why you would be leaving the console idle though?

Okay so I’m in no means the target demographic for this post having been playing KH for years (including a level 1 100% run on KH2). However, when I eventually got round to buying this on PS4 and going for the plat I decided to do a proud run and get it out of the way. Once I got to Neverland in about 5 hours I decided to go for the speedster trophy then. Totally doable. Skip all cutscenes, avoid Atlantica like the plague, only go to the colleseum to get the thunder spell from Phil and then hotfoot it out to wherever you’re going next. I would suggest getting used to the guard mechanic as it comes in super handy against that one story boss towards the end of the penultimate world. Divine Rose is the key blade of choice on FM for the late area. Let your heart be your guiding key you can do it!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hatteii said:

If they finish the game between 100 - 115 hours they still get the trophy - the game only looks at the last two numbers. So they can leave it idle until that point and just finish and get it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hatteii said:

There is a bug in KH1 when your ingame timer goes over 100 hours it loops back around and you can get the "beat the game in under 15 hours" trophy.

I would check out the any% proud speedrun of the game. KH1 has an interesting concept that if you put the LVL1 ring on during proud, both you and the enemies (even bosses) get scaled down to LVL1 as well. meaning so long as you are pretty good at fighting the bosses, the game doesn't become level gated.
(here is the run from Games Done Quick a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdC0x9cIMxs) They explain all the tricks and even without a lot of the movement tech it makes it totally possible.

• Like 1

I know on the PS3 version there was a beneficial glitch or bug where if the in-game clock went over 99.99 (IIRC)  it rolled over to 0. So you could play the game normally then leave it on to run up the time then beat it.

Draps beat me to it lol.

Edited by da-Noob123

On PS4, with the more lenient time, it’s extremely doable on proud. I tried doing a no death/no equipment changing/speedrun proud run while also watching every cutscene, which adds to the time, and although I gave up on the no equipment/no death part around Halloween Town, I still made it to the end with plenty of time to spare after watching every cutscene (I did skip Atlantica, though.)

Game goes very fast when you know what you’re doing, and if you factor in the time saved by skipping cutscenes you can breeze ahead of the target time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chris2804698 said:

Okay so I’m in no means the target demographic for this post having been playing KH for years (including a level 1 100% run on KH2). However, when I eventually got round to buying this on PS4 and going for the plat I decided to do a proud run and get it out of the way. Once I got to Neverland in about 5 hours I decided to go for the speedster trophy then. Totally doable. Skip all cutscenes, avoid Atlantica like the plague, only go to the colleseum to get the thunder spell from Phil and then hotfoot it out to wherever you’re going next. I would suggest getting used to the guard mechanic as it comes in super handy against that one story boss towards the end of the penultimate world. Divine Rose is the key blade of choice on FM for the late area. Let your heart be your guiding key you can do it!  

Thanks for the advice, was planning on getting Divine Rose anyway because I ended up using it for the majority of the time I took completing the game after beating it in around 36 hours on Unchanging Armor/Undefeated.

And I was actively trying to waste as much time as possible (I think I’d sealed all the keyholes and collected all the puppies, played all mini games, even let the game idle for a while while doing other things) since I was originally planning to get Speedster in 100 hours. 

3 hours ago, Draps-1337 said:

I would check out the any% proud speedrun of the game. KH1 has an interesting concept that if you put the LVL1 ring on during proud, both you and the enemies (even bosses) get scaled down to LVL1 as well. meaning so long as you are pretty good at fighting the bosses, the game doesn't become level gated.
(here is the run from Games Done Quick a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdC0x9cIMxs) They explain all the tricks and even without a lot of the movement tech it makes it totally possible.

Not sure if I’ll be attempting Proud on level 1, I rely on abilities a lot, but I will definitely be looking at any % speedruns on Proud! 

2 hours ago, madbuk said:

On PS4, with the more lenient time, it’s extremely doable on proud. I tried doing a no death/no equipment changing/speedrun proud run while also watching every cutscene, which adds to the time, and although I gave up on the no equipment/no death part around Halloween Town, I still made it to the end with plenty of time to spare after watching every cutscene (I did skip Atlantica, though.)

Game goes very fast when you know what you’re doing, and if you factor in the time saved by skipping cutscenes you can breeze ahead of the target time.

No equipment on Proud sounds very tough-I don’t blame you for giving up on it.  I had enough issues with the last boss on unchanging armor on Beginner myself. Had to spend a ton of time leveling up, then getting through every form of the boss fight took me upwards of 40 minutes because I was doing so little damage. 

Anyway, I think I’m going to give it a try-but keep all my save files just in case I don’t make it! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Draps-1337 said:

Good luck! Next year, I'm going back to get 100% on all the games in order. It's going to be a journey for sure!

Have fun! 1 and 2 are awesome to plat. Birth By Sleep was the biggest marathon I’ve ever undertaken took me well over 80 hours and by my third 100% play through I was ready to cry

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

I’m about to complete all the other trophies (only have Synthesis Master & Keyblade Master left) probably will take another hour or three at max to complete. My playtime is currently around 67 hours. I’m not exactly thrilled by the thought of just messing around for another 30+ hours or just letting the console run idle for that long. 

I’m not great at this game at all, but seeing as I kind of know what I’m doing in regards to where to go/what to do, would beating the game in under 15 hours on Proud be too difficult? 

Hello! :)

I don't think it should be too difficult, especially if you have no restrictions.

I made a single run on the PS4 version with: proud difficulty + speedrun + unchanging armor + no continue. And it was really tough, especially the Shadow Sora in Neverland.

I cleared the game with 14 hours, and the last 2 hours were spent only for the final bosses (after The last breath). And I completely skipped Atlantica and the Olympus (except the first tournament for the Sonic Blade ability).

I agrre with your choice about the Divine Rose, it's one of the best Keyblades (except the Ultima), since it has the counterattack ability.

And with the proper equipments and abilities (MP rage forever!) you should have no problem. ;)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Honestly it wouldn't be too bad. I made it to Final Rest in 18 hours on proud. I did not skip Atlantica or cutscenes, and spent a couple hours grinding on Destiny Island that I didn't really need to (But it's just one of those things I've always done in this game and always will. I don't like leaving Destiny Island lower than level 10 haha)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Completed Proud Mode a few days ago in about 13 Hours and I finished every world, but Atlantica. I even finished the Hercules Cup and got myself the Olympia.

Before I tackled the final boss, I made sure to grind out all 3 Omega Arts accessories from the Behemoths in Hollow Bastion (revisted) and the 2 in End of the World.

I also made sure to save all Dalmatians and got the Yellow Trinity in Neverland to turn Aero into Aeroga. The only other spell I used was Curaga, which I made sure to revisit Hollow Bastion and talk to Aerith for, Also, picked up Divine Rose from there, too.

I was also crazy enough to do Deep Jungle before Wonderland, which was definitely harder, but doable. The only other hurdle early on in Proud is probably Agrabah. You need to come in with Aero from Traverse Town before you can hope to overcome the Pot Centipede.

My Proud Mode run can be found below:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7