Killing alligator QTE not working

Is there some trick I missed or is my game just corrupted because whenever I want to fight an alligator i'll patiently wait for the QTE buttons to show up but they never come. It's easy to get on the back of the alligator with O but then nothing happens and I get thrown off again. I watched some youtube video's and you should get button indicators. 

You should get button indicators, unless your spamming the circle button. The buttons are always different. Try sneaking up on it and pressing the attack button, that's what I did.

If you're still not getting it then, I don't know what the problem is. I would say move onto the story more, but I got it once I got into Bayou. Or you can try reinstalling.

I haven't played Remastered, but the Liberation Vita gave me QTE prompts about 25% of the time when I first encountered alligators. Seems like this one might be as glitchy as that one.

I just got through more of the story instead (I'm a sucker for knocking out all side missions as soon as they're available) and eventually got all the alligator encounters taken care of without needing to devote time to seek them out.