Is anyone else worried about Cyberpunk on the base PS4?

Jake-TheGreat97

So as most of you already know Cyberpunk 2077 was delayed three extra weeks. I heard that one of the reasons for the delay was because CD Project Red was having a difficult time running the game on the current gen consoles. Odds are the PS5 won't be in stock again until sometime next year so I'm stuck with my base PS4. Obviously I'm not expecting the game to run at 60fps on the base PS4, but at the same time I'm kind of worried that the game will run like a slideshow similar to other games like Control.

Edited by Jake-TheGreat97
  • Like 3

Yes, I was a little bit concerned about it before the news broke to be honest, but it's definitely a major concern now. I'm probably not going to get it at launch anymore and will wait to see what reviews say, if it's not good I'll wait for some performance patches. Or alternatively if I'm able to get my hands on PS5 reasonably soon after launch I'll play it on that instead.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I really wouldn't be surprised if the game ran poorly on base consoles. I remember The Witcher 3 ran quite badly at certain points on PS4 Pro.

Not that I am personally worried. I have a PS5 preorder.

Or maybe it's so hyped that they keep delaying it so that it does meet expectations? No idea why you or other people even jump to this conclusion, lol. A rushed game is a bad game forever. CDPR is doing good by making sure that the game releases when IT'S READY.

100%

People complain about the game being delayed again.
Honestly another 3 weeks isn't much. If CDPR aren't happy with the quality of the product defiantly delay it. 

It isn't an easy decision to make this close to the release date.

• Like 1

Just now, UndamagedVirus said:

100%

People complain about the game being delayed again.
Honestly another 3 weeks isn't much. If CDPR aren't happy with the quality of the product defiantly delay it. 

It isn't an easy decision to make this close to the release date.

Especially because people meme and bring up the twitter page quoting someone the day before the delay saying it wouldn't get delayed. Look, shit happens. It's the first time I remember any game that went gold getting delayed. But clearly something is going wrong with the day one patch. If I had to surmise, it's something with the base consoles that's holdings things back. Or maybe they want to iron out next gen systems so that they play a little better before they get their free upgrade sometime in the future. Nobody can truly say.

I just think it's shitty to shit on a game because you're impatient. I've waited 8 years for this fucking game. Another month is nothing. Those people that say their hype is ruined because of a few delays... by all means, you're welcome to go for other games. I know what to expect when this game comes. And I know most people complaining about the delays will still get it when it launches, so it's whatever.

• Like 2

They should've just canceled the PS4 and Xbone versions when they realised the game couldn't work properly. 

Seriously if people are delusional enough to expect their 7 year old consoles with 2012 tablet level CPU's to run a 2020 game designed for high end PC's and next gen perfectly, then that's their fault. 

Edited by Azaan60
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Azaan60 said:

They should've just canceled the PS4 and Xbone versions when they realised the game couldn't work properly. 

Seriously if people are delusional enough to expect their 7 year old consoles with 2012 tablet level CPU's to run a 2020 game designed for high end PC's and next gen perfectly, then that's their fault. 

Disagree. It's only due to delays that it's got to the point where it's now releasing in the overlap between two console generations. They've had at least 5 good years of development designing the game to run on current generation hardware. Ghost of Tsushima performs great on my base PS4 and that was supposed to release after Cyberpunk.

Not to mention the money they'd lose by not releasing on current generation platforms with their huge existing user base and cancelled pre-orders. They've said as much themselves - 

"I've heard a number of people say that," Quest Designer Patrick Mills told Game Informer at E3 when asked if Cyberpunk might be a next-gen game. "The current console generation is what we're aiming for. We are aiming for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and of course PC as well."

Such a plan is, of course, quite reasonable since about 100 million players currently own the PS4 and XBOX consoles, which is immediately in start a bigger and more cost-effective market than the next-gen consoles that have not yet been announced.

• Like 1

I would've preferred it to be delayed and be available on next gen only. This game is unfortunately shaping up to be a red hot mess at launch. How many different systems do they need to get it running on? I count at least 9. I feel bad for anyone looking to play this offline as well. A delay after going gold means a hefty day one patch incoming.

• Like 1

To be honest I already noticed issues with my base PS4 when I played Spyro the Dragon. The framerate drops that occur when simply turning the camera around are so bad at times that they cause eyestrains. I bought into PS4 in 2016 when Uncharted 4 came out and wasn't very pleased when PS4 Pro got announced a short while later. I don't mind games looking better on a higher spec PS4 but they should be made first and foremost with the base PS4 in mind and then have built-in "boosting mechanics" for when you're playing on a PS4 Pro. If a PS4 game doesn't run properly on a base PS4 something is clearly wrong.

Edited by Baka_Marimo

5 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Because it's a correct statement and so is yours. Mine is the cynical approach and yours the optimistic. I'm going with cynical approach because in my opinion a lot of AAA games released nowadays are pretty junk and almost always have numerous bugs in them. There are good games but standards have declined massively in the industry, I think this is pretty irrefutable. 

With the amount of delays the game has had it inevitably increases expectations and therefore people are going to be mocking it for any and all bugs they experience. That seems like common sense to me and i'm confused why you're confused.

Also, numerous delays can be interpreted as the game was/is so buggy that they've *still*not got it sorted and they're scarpering for time.

For the record: I'm not getting this game for years to come. I'm not interested in buying it for anything over £15 so i'm not part of this impatient collective that want to play it ASAP that has been mentioned. Also for the record: I do agree with your statement that the gall to delay many times is commendable. What I said remains true though: people's expectations are going up each time they do it.

Very well said, and completely true.

I used to think CD Projekt Red was a good company with good values. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is probably one of my favorite games of the last decade, the amount of lore and how they executed the open world environment is spot on. But after how they treated Gwent, my confidence in this company has dwindled. Cyberpunk looks promising, but it's doing like many other AAA titles did, making delays. How this will change gamers perspective in the coming weeks and months remains to be seen.

Should the game be disappointing for many people, Reddit and YouTube are going to be that much more butthurt about it. The more delays that happen, the further you get people hyped up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Azaan60 said:

Maybe, but too late now.

6 hours ago, Azaan60 said:

1 minute ago, MidnightDragon said:

Maybe, but too late now.

PS4 Slim isn't much better, it has a better Wi-FI chip for more stable internet and the fan is a lot quieter from what my friends have told me. I suppose the PS4 Pro will play the game just fine.

5 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Very well said, and completely true.

I used to think CD Projekt Red was a good company with good values. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is probably one of my favorite games of the last decade, the amount of lore and how they executed the open world environment is spot on. But after how they treated Gwent, my confidence in this company has dwindled. Cyberpunk looks promising, but it's doing like many other AAA titles did, making delays. How this will change gamers perspective in the coming weeks and months remains to be seen.

Should the game be disappointing for many people, Reddit and YouTube are going to be that much more butthurt about it. The more delays that happen, the further you get people hyped up.

The hype is so high that some disappointment is inevitable.

2 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

The hype is so high that some disappointment is inevitable.

Fully understandable for a game that's been in development for a long time. Still, seems sort of childish to expect grandiose things out of it, should it deliver when it comes out, then that's awesome.

3 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

The people that make me laugh are the ones who canceled their pre-order and made a statement by saying "I'll buy Assassin's Creed/Watch Dogs instead >:( "

Aye, that'll show them, buy a Ubisoft game! No one but you loses in that scenario 1f602.png

I just canceled and asked for it for Christmas. Used the money towards my Sackboy SE preorder. 

"In a recent teleconference call which also had a transcript posted officially by CD Projekt Red, the developers confirmed the game was ready to play on PC and next-generation consoles but they had issues running it on the PS4 and Xbox One, which led to the current delay. - from TwistedVoxel"

Question 12: Hello. You mentioned that the problem was with the current-gen consoles. Is the problem different for Xbox and PS4, the latter of which is perhaps a bit stronger –or is it very similar for both consoles?  

MN: Hi; Michał Nowakowski again. I wouldn’t say there is a “problem” because there’s nothing wrong with Xbox or PS4 versions –there is optimization to be handled, also because of how we were approaching things from the get-go in terms of development; so –there is no problem with Xbox or PlayStation 4, to be honest. Now, in terms of issues –I don’t think there’s much point in going there. Yes, there are some issues that are similar –I’m not going to go through a full bug report here; that’s probably pointless –but let’s put it like this: there are some issues which are common to both platforms and some issues which are slightly different; it’s a mixed bag, really. It’s something that can be handled, can be done and something that we’re currently working on. It’s a huge game, so there are alot of things to be tackled –which is the underlying reason behind the conversation we’re having tonight.

Question 4: My first question is: can you disclose anything in terms of the level of preorders for the game, either on PC or somewhere else? Does the delay change anything in terms of your unit expectations? My second question is: given your comments regarding the quality of the game, I’m curious what sort of Metacritic score would you be disappointed with. And my third question: in order to boost sales in December, would you consider offering a bit more aggressive discounts? Is there a risk that the average selling price is a bit lower than what people would imagine? Thank you.

Michal Nowakowski: So, when it comes to Metacritic, we continuously aim at a 90+ game, so nothing has changed here; this remains the goal and, as Adam mentioned, this is actually the main reason for postponing the release. We want to give the game an extra polish; we’d rather be slightly ashamed right now in front of you than be ashamed in front of the players once the game releases. In terms of average selling price, whether it’s going to be somewhat more aggressive –the answer is no. This was not the plan when we were planning to launch on November 19, and it’s still not the plan for the December 10 launch. We believe we have a premium title that’s coveted by the players and we don’t need to offer any extra incentives –I think everybody who is going to be working on selling this game, in retail and on digital platforms, is going to be happy with what the game can make once it starts selling.

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/10/trancript_en.pdf

Edited by Ghost

1 minute ago, MidnightDragon said:

I just canceled and asked for it for Christmas. Used the money towards my Sackboy SE preorder. 

That's fair, Sackboy looks pretty fun. And if you can wait the extra 3 weeks for the delay, then another 2 weeks til' Christmas ain't gonna make much difference.

Im still absolutely stoked for Cyberpunk. (Its incredibly me).

I mean im a bit annoyed cos i booked time off work to play it and ive NEVER done that before, and felt almost dirty for doing so. Even weirder now with the delay.  

Still will probably have a bit of time off for it.  Maybe 2-3 days or something. 

I haven't watched any trailers. Going in blind. If the delay makes it better/get rid of bugs i dont mind. 

I think a delay that close to the release is really concerning. The devs have been crunching hard for months and there is no end in sight and the management apparently picked an unrealistic release date which is getting pushed further and further away. There must be something really wrong with the game when it get's delayed that often, alway close to the advertised release date.