Server Closed - Offline Method to Unlock REPAID IN BLOOD trophy in Ver. 1.05

1 hour ago, DeathSquidGames said:

Wait, I thought there is going to be a patch so the trophy won’t become unobtainable 

it says the trophies unlock automatically now 

edit: it doesn’t, my bad I misread it

Edited by gnova

According to playstation lifestyle they said the trophy now unlocks by doing a personal vendetta mission(basically, you die to a captain and then you kill said captain who killed you). But so far no one has earned the trophy on either version since yesterday.

https://middle-earthgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058280033

"Due to changes with our network, access to certain features for the Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor videogame on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Steam will no longer be available beginning Jan. 12.

The Nemesis Forge feature is no longer available.

Vendetta missions are no longer available, but the “Repaid in Blood” achievement/trophy can still be unlocked.

Leaderboards are no longer connected to other users and only show the player’s score, but “The Hunt is My Mistress” and “Lord of the Ring” achievements/trophies can still be unlocked.

The WBPlay platform is no longer available, but the Epic Runes “Orc Hunter” and “Gravewalker” upgrades are now automatically awarded to all players."

Platinum can be obtained.

Started a new game under another profile, died to an orc who was then promoted to captain, killed that captain and no trophy. It might also be an issue that I did it before the Spirit of Mordor mission which unlocks power struggle missions (Vendetta was a power struggle mission). Will finish that mission and then test again with a grunt killing me and being promoted to captain and then killing them to see if the mission is a factor. If it still doesn't work, then it's probably a case of the Orc having to already be a captain when he kills you for the trophy to unlock when you get your revenge, will test that too. That lines up more closely with what the Monolith rep said on discord: "You get killed by a Captain and then avenge yourself. So it's not an online vendetta, it's a personal vendetta."

• Like 2

On 09/01/2021 at 8:54 PM, depresso-cat said:

I wonder how much impeding server closures/trophies becoming unobtainable affect older game sales. On one hand, I doubt I would have bought this game if not for the deadline, on other hand I will never buy a game with unobtainable trophy due to server closure (like Mad Max).

As for the news - heartwarming little story! However, I don't see how they'd patch this trophy.

Same. I bought the game to get this trophy out of the way before the servers shut down. If I'd known it would be patched, I might've waited. But yeah I would never buy a game like Mad Max that has an unobtainable trophy. Thank you Monolith for doing this. I'd already got it but this a good thing for trophy hunters. I wish more developers would do this *cough* Avalanche Studios *cough*

Edited by HMS_Victor

From .org:

Anyone worried that the closure of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor's online servers and the removal of online support for the game as of 31st December 2020 can now rest assured that none of the trophies will be affected, thanks to a new update rolled out this week.

Update v1.16 is available now for both the standard and Game of the Year Edition of Shadow of Mordor, and although the Nemesis Forge feature, Vendetta missions, leaderboards, and WBPlay functionality have all been nixed, the new patch ensures that no online trophies are impacted.

For the standard edition of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, the patch weighs in at 2GB, while the GOTY update is 8GB in size. The ‘Repaid in Blood’ trophy has been turned into a personal vendetta, rather than an online one, as explained on developer Monolith's Discord,  while the ‘The Hunt is My Mistress’ and ‘Lord of the Ring’ trophies remain unlockable following the server shutdown.

“Due to changes with our network, access to certain features for the Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor videogame on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Steam will no longer be available beginning January 12th,” reads the patch notes blurb on WB Games Support (as spied by TrueAchievements). Check out the full v1.16 patch notes below.

·         The Nemesis Forge feature is no longer available.

·         Vendetta missions are no longer available, but the “Repaid in Blood” achievement/trophy can still be unlocked.

·         Leaderboards are no longer connected to other users and only show the player’s score, but “The Hunt is My Mistress” and “Lord of the Ring” achievements/trophies can still be unlocked.

·         The WBPlay platform is no longer available, but the Epic Runes “Orc Hunter” and “Gravewalker” upgrades are now automatically awarded to all players.

You can download the v1.16 update for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and the Game of the Year Edition on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC now.

• Like 1

Ya...unless they added a specific extra mission later in the game that unlocks the trophy then they didn't bother testing the patch to see if it works, at least in the GOTY edition (I see others have popped it in vanilla since the closure). Dying to an orc who gets elevated to captain after the Spirit of Mordor mission and then killing them didn't unlock it. Letting a captain kill me and then catching back up with him and killing him didn't unlock it. Waiting until the revenge target is in an actual mission, a power struggle, and killing them didn't unlock it.  Got one more idea to try based on a glitch that stops a different trophy from popping.

• Like 1

Nope, that didn't unlock it either. The Burning Vengeance trophy doesn't unlock if you have any of the extra epic runes equipped that come with the GOTY edition of the game. Tried swapping them all out for blue runes and trying it, but that didn't work either. Perhaps someone who is on their discord can tell Monolith it appears to be bugged for the GOTY edition unless there is something more to it that eludes me.

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Guardian_owl said:

Have you verified that yourself? As I have been unable to get it to unlock via that method in the GOTY edition.

I'm just going by what the devs said because I don't own a copy of this game so have no way of confirming it myself but going by the attainment rates for the vanilla version, that method or so something very much like it - does work. If there is a problem, it's exclusive to the GOTY Edition and doesn't affect the regular release. EDIT: I've just looked at the GOTY Edition and the most recent earner of Repaid in Blood, is from Jan 14th and Burning Vengeance has been earned at a consistent rate since the patch came out so it's looking any issues are either very rare or exclusive to your copy.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

On 1/17/2021 at 1:27 PM, HuntingFever said:

I'm just going by what the devs said because I don't own a copy of this game so have no way of confirming it myself but going by the attainment rates for the vanilla version, that method or so something very much like it - does work. If there is a problem, it's exclusive to the GOTY Edition and doesn't affect the regular release. EDIT: I've just looked at the GOTY Edition and the most recent earner of Repaid in Blood, is from Jan 14th and Burning Vengeance has been earned at a consistent rate since the patch came out so it's looking any issues are either very rare or exclusive to your copy.

I just died to an orc, located and simply killed it and the trophy did not pop. Something must be wrong with the GOTY version.

Edited by kirk062717

4 hours ago, Smashero said:

People are still getting "Repaid in Blood" in both PS4 versions, so there has to be "a way".

From Monolith discord yesterday:

KyleXY27 Yesterday at 2:54 AM

"I tried farming it after the Hammer mission as well. Still nothing lol. Tried the first and second map. I think I've done it more than 10 times straight getting revenge with an orc but still nothing. Someone actually got it with the GOTY edition last 01/17/2021 over at PSNprofiles.com. I tried messaging the person but I didn't get a reply yet. I wonder how he unlocked his."

Monolith_Mark Yesterday at 5:45 PM

"We saw that too. Apparently, the Brazilian GOTY edition works and that's the version the person you mentioned was using. We're not yet sure why, but we're looking into it. The Great Work continues, friends. Thanks for your patience!"

So if only a few versions of the GOTY edition are working, that would explain why we only have 2 unlocks since the server shutdown whereas the vanilla version has 20+.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2021 at 5:56 AM, IntroPhenom said:

If only CD Projekt Red had listened to us trophy fans regarding Gwent.  You know, instead of focusing their efforts on making Cyberpunk 2077 the smooth, playable masterpiece that it is.

They destroyed both Gwent and cybershit 2027 ...

• Like 1