Worth it?

Unless you're a big fan of these sorts of games, I don't know if I'd buy it right now - maybe wait for a sale. I agree with chinfacedan, Until Dawn had enough playtime to have a lot of cool branching paths and stuff, I felt like the story was definitely unexpected here, but I dont think it was particularly deep or strong compared to Man of Medan. If you felt 'cheated' by Man of Medan's twist, I dont think this story is going to be some revolutionary change. It's not particularly scary or anything, just 'spooky.' Story held my interest until the end the first time. Subsequent playthroughs were definitely not as fun or engaging. The 'branching' didnt seem as rewarding as I'd want it to be. Game takes about 4-5 hours maximum for each run (that's with a decent amount of exploring for collectibles and such) - shorter depending on your choices and how much you explore. I've had runs as short as 2-3 hours. 

The Movie Night stuff and Online stuff return without any major changes seemingly, I played one run with my family for Halloween and they enjoyed it. 

Trophies are kinda hard to understand what to do right this moment, but I'm assuming someone will make a guide in the coming days-weeks that will make it easier.

Overall, I think it might not be worth the $30 price tag upfront unless this is a genre or theme that you really love (you have a deep interest in the setting, etc.). I always approximate money on games to a movie. If a movie ticket is $15 or so and it gives me 2-3 hours of enjoyment then each hour was worth '$7.50 max.' With that litmus test, I can confidently say that this game gave me more than 4 hours of enjoyment so, I think it was worth it in that sense. 

Pros:
Some of the facial animations and stuff are pretty amazing - there were plenty of times where I really felt immersed because of the way the facial animations and voice acting worked

The game keeps a lot of the same elements as Man of Medan and such, but it feels like it controls a lot better. There were plenty of times in Man of Medan and Until Dawn to a lesser degree that I felt like when I moved to a new section I would have a hard time moving my character to where I wanted them to go - the camera helps a lot there. 

There's some small quality of life changes like the heads/hearts indicator on the menu that make it a slight improvement.

Cons:

Story is hit or miss - not a ton of replayability in my eyes at least not as much as Until Dawn. I dont remember Man of Medan's branching enough to comment there. Game is very short too.

• 10 months later...
25 minutes ago, SilentStorm2020 said:

its currently on sale for $15, worth getting it for that price or wait till its $10? i suspect when the next game comes out. Little hope will be even more discounted but i could be wrong. Debating on getting it now for $15 or wait till the october store sale on there horror games.

I think $15 is worth it if you like these sort of games

• 2 weeks later...

I'd definitely say pick this up on sale. Personally I think it is the weakest entry so far but the story was compelling. More cerebral than any of the others and not everything is fully explained by the end.

Trophwise it was by far the easiest and most forgiving. If you screwed up a section you can back out immediately and then use chapter select to go back to beginning of the chapter where you messed up. Plus it only took 3.3 playthroughs for the platinum. 

• 3 months later...

If anyone finds it on sale then it may be worth it to you. 

Personally I think it is a step down from Man of Medan. In Man of Medan I loved the atmosphere, the characters and story much better. It didn't feel like a chore to platinum. In Little Hope the characters really didn't click with me. The setting is cool but I like the confinement of the ship in Medan better. The story in Little Hope made little sense to me until I started reading some things online after I had finished the first play through. Little Hope felt like more of a chore to finish the platinum. 

Hoping House of Ashes is a better experience when I get to it.

On 1/24/2022 at 5:02 PM, snakebit10 said:

If anyone finds it on sale then it may be worth it to you. 

Personally I think it is a step down from Man of Medan. In Man of Medan I loved the atmosphere, the characters and story much better. It didn't feel like a chore to platinum. In Little Hope the characters really didn't click with me. The setting is cool but I like the confinement of the ship in Medan better. The story in Little Hope made little sense to me until I started reading some things online after I had finished the first play through. Little Hope felt like more of a chore to finish the platinum. 

Hoping House of Ashes is a better experience when I get to it.

Playing Medan now. It IS a chore to platinum. All the idiotic "max out relationships" nonsense has you replaying scenes over and over again. Not to mention the four endings and all that. It's tedious after you've played these things five times already and cannot skip the boring cut scenes.

2 hours ago, Infidel7676 said:

Playing Medan now. It IS a chore to platinum. All the idiotic "max out relationships" nonsense has you replaying scenes over and over again. Not to mention the four endings and all that. It's tedious after you've played these things five times already and cannot skip the boring cut scenes.

I did 7 play throughs of Man of Medan and didn't get bored with it. Little hope I think I did 4 full play throughs and some partial ones and was really bored by the end. I just didn't like the characters as much and the story didn't grip me like Medan did. I hope House of Ashes is good.