Thoughts on the Game

BamRainey

2 hours ago, BamRainey said:

So I expect somebody to share an opinion about the game. The trailer looks awesome, but is actually fun to play? Does the game stand out somehow, or is it yet another walking sim with nothing remarkable within?

It is exactly what people say: Its PT-like as hell.

And in my opinion a lot better then PT was...

On 11/2/2020 at 7:16 AM, Maahniac said:

What is the game like in terms of Platinum difficulty and length? The trophies do not look difficult, but in the description of the game on the PSN store, it says something like "This is not an easy game" 1f602.png

I'd say like a 5/10 since it's pretty easy to stay alive. Collectables and a few misc things would be the tough parts. There aren't many text guides out there. Overall the game is dang fun, lots of unscripted things that will scare the piss out if you.  Thats at least what I've noticed from chapter 2. It took a good while to beat it as well since there is a lot of backtracking. 

Edited by RoxasOnFire

I just finished chapter 2 today (I actually started on this chapter by mistake... it's the easier to find, I guess) and I have to say that so far I love it.

I feel the puzzles are not that hard, for now.. it's basically about finding something here that you'll then use somewhere else, opening new rooms and pieces of the story. A few times you'll have to solve an actual puzzle and I was left scratching my head a few times.. but overall not too bad.

My only gripe so far is that, sometimes if you don't know what you're supposed to do you're gonna be carrying an item around that you absolutely do not need. Inventory is very small and there are some items that you just can't store (like a sledgehammer, or a stool...). I think this adds to the "realism" of the game but I spent a long time walking around with a stool because I thought I had to use it somewhere and that was not fun... ?

Also, there's some really weird easter eggs, but I find them entertaining.

Anyway... so far I would strongly recommend the game if you like horror. I'm loving the story and the atmosphere, been waiting for something like this for a long time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

Does the game have missable trophies? Something specifically difficult? Anything special I should know before playing, or is it rather straightforward, trophy-wise?

From what I can tell I think some collectables might be missable. I found one of the dolls in one of the ghosts specific section and I don't think you can replay these.

There's also some easter eggs that have trophies related to them that I think are missable as well.

• Like 1

Again, there are way too many movable and examinable objects in the environment, like boxes, pictures, tools, hosewares, toys, stuffed animals etc. that are just sitting there. For someone who avoids using guides and has no choice but to investigate everything that can be examined in fear of missing something, this creates a gameplay that extends to the next presidential election. They did the same thing in SOMA as well and Layers of Fear is no exception. Is this some deliberate indie prank?

Edited by Swithop

On 11/7/2020 at 2:35 PM, Swithop said:

Again, there are way too many movable and examinable objects in the environment, like boxes, pictures, tools, hosewares, toys, stuffed animals etc. that are just sitting there. For someone who avoids using guides and has no choice but to investigate everything that can be examined in fear of missing something, this creates a gameplay that extends to the next presidential election. They did the same thing in SOMA as well and Layers of Fear is no exception. Is this some deliberate indie prank?

I've been enjoying the game a lot so far but this is my main gripe as well.