Faulty HDD Problem - Restoring is very slow

Doma8800

It seems that my PS3 Slim's HDD is pretty much dead after playing with that buggy ass game called Prince of Persia Trilogy.

While I was playing with Sands of Time my PS3 froze a couple of times and the same thing happened when playing with Warrior Within as well. After a froze I have restarted my PS3 by holding the power off button but this time I didn't get the "The system was not turned off properly last time it was used" message rather I got a "File system is corrupt and will be restored" message. I freaked out a bit but it did the thing and I was able use my console. I remembered, that my original fat PS3 got YLOD after a similiar situation so to be on the safe side, I copied all my saves to a USB stick and started to play with Warrior Within again. I finished the game, got the platinum and quit from the game to the XMB. It took a really long time for the XMB to come up but when it did the system completely froze. So, yet again, I pressed the power off to shut off the system then on the next startup I got the same corrupt system message, I pressed X and it started to do the thing. This is going on for 7 hours now. ? I don't want to turn it off because I'm afraid that it'll cause more damage to the HDD.

So here is my question:

Is it possible to fix the HDD in any way? I have many games & DLCs downloaded, also got some pictures/videos which I don't really want to lose. 

30 minutes ago, Doma8800 said:

Is it possible to fix the HDD in any way? I have many games & DLCs downloaded, also got some pictures/videos which I don't really want to lose. 

"Fixing" isn't really feasible on hard drives. Your best bet is to swap the hard drive with a new one and then restore all your data from your existing hard drive to your new one. That way you'll keep all your stuff. But you'd want to probably do that soon as once spinning hard drives start having problems, there usually isn't much time before they stop responding all together.

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

"Fixing" isn't really feasible on hard drives. Your best bet is to swap the hard drive with a new one and then restore all your data from your existing hard drive to your new one. That way you'll keep all your stuff. But you'd want to probably do that soon as once spinning hard drives start having problems, there usually isn't much time before they stop responding all together.

How can I restore the data? I put in a new HDD then how do I connect the old one? Do I need an external HDD rack or something like that?

2 minutes ago, Doma8800 said:

How can I restore the data? I put in a new HDD then how do I connect the old one? Do I need an external HDD rack or something like that?

You can either backup your drive to a USB drive with enough space for all your data, or get a SATA to USB cable to hook your old drive back up to your PS3. There should be plenty of tutorial videos online.

5 minutes ago, Doma8800 said:

If you want to have everything moved over, you'd have to go to Settings -> System -> Backup, and then backup your PS3 system. You'll need a USB storage device with enough free space, which might mean deleting some installed games if the device is too small. It also takes longer the more needs to get backed up. After you change the drive in your PS3 and install the firmware, you'll run a restore using the file you created from the backup to get everything back on your new drive.

3 minutes ago, Doma8800 said:

Well, these options only work IF the system comes back from the restore process. ?

Live and learn. I've been bit before by dying systems, so now I do full backups once every other month on top of keeping game save backups on the PSN+ cloud.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BlackSquirrell1 said:

What I can suggest is that this is the month if you want to get a low priced yearly PS Plus membership, OR, sign up for a 1 month membership and upload everything you want to keep (saves) to the cloud. Makes it easier to download to your new HD.  

They have Plus. You can see the icon on their profile.

Sooo, the restoring process has finished, the PS3 restarted but now it shows the same "The file system on this system is corrupted and needs to be restored." message. Is it worth a try to check the hard disk with some program like HDD Restore and try to fix the bad sectors?

Also, I just checked today that my trophy progress in PoP Trilogy hasn't been synced. If I cannot fix the current hard disk and I replace it, then copy the saves to the new one and start to play, will I get flagged because of unrealistic timestamps? 

50 minutes ago, Doma8800 said:

If I cannot fix the current hard disk and I replace it, then copy the saves to the new one and start to play, will I get flagged because of unrealistic timestamps? 

Yes, because reloading the save will change all your timestamps that hadn't been synced yet. If you have a chance, get in and sync them asap. 

52 minutes ago, Doma8800 said:

Is it worth a try to check the hard disk with some program like HDD Restore and try to fix the bad sectors?

In my experience with old, spinning hard drives, absolutely not. You're causing even more activity to that hard drive and accelerating the problems.

48 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yes, because reloading the save will change all your timestamps that hadn't been synced yet. If you have a chance, get in and sync them asap. 

Since I cannot get past the "system is corrupted" message unfortunately this is not an option. Guess I have to play the games again which I really don't like. ?

Had somethig really similar to your situation happen to me about 2 years ago. The initial issue wasn't anything related to the HDD, it was a faulty cooling fan that wouldn't start then the system would display "the system is too hot, turning it off now." about 2 to 3 minutes after turning it on...and since the system still display the message "Your PS3 system wasn't shut off properly last time, it will do a file restore system to check for any corrupt files." if it turns off by the previous messsage, I believe I tried to go through that restore process 2 or 3 times but with the faulty cooling fan, it was turning off in the middle of it.

Knowing some bad stuff was happening with it, I took it to a repair shop, waited some days so they could replace the fan and took my ps3 back home. First thing upon booting, I copied all the PS3 saves I could to a usb flash drive, but not all of them since some have the stupid copy-prohibited lock on them, which requires PS Plus if you want to make a backup of that and I didn't want to fork out the cash for PS Plus just for that at that time...a decision I still regret to this day. I also forgot to backup pretty much all my PSone and PS2 game saves. After backing up process, I restarted my ps3 in safe mode and ran the Restore File System option in the safe mode menu and everything went downhill from there, the system would start the process but say the file system was corrupted and couldn't be restored...tried a few more times but no dice, had to restore the whole HDD/PS3 to factory settings.

I lost 100s of hours in game saves that had the copy-protection lock and got pretty devastated. Lost a 100% save file on GTA: San Andreas, among other PS2 games. I learned my lesson then, buy the freaking PS Plus and turn on save backup auto-upload feature and never ever worry about losing any saves, it's the only reason I have PS Plus even not owning a PS4 to play the free games or online, just have it for the Cloud Storage feature.

• Like 1

I really wanted to save this HDD because of the unsynced trophy data, I've tried HDD Regenerator to see if it can fix the problem. Once the initial scan was completed I was really "happy" to see that there were some bad sectors on the drive because I thought that they can be fixed.

fgJDyMe.png

Ft7agoN.png

Once the repair process has finished it was a bit weird that a lot less sectors were fixed but I was still hoping it was good:

LSW26Uy.png

So I put it back in my PS3, turned it on, it gave me the "File system is corrupted" message, I clicked ok and I was really suprised that the process was really fast up until 25% where it gave me the following error:

MSSKA4Q.jpg

So I was like, F it, I bought a new HDD and started to play that stupid Prince of Persia from the beginning. ?

Edited by Doma8800
misspell