Are there any genres of gaming you won't play?

LancashireLad87

Not sure if this has been asked before but are there any genres of gaming you won't play and which genre/s would you love to be amazing at but don't have the skill, time or patience for? I will start the ball rolling with my own views, I will play any genre but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm good at them, just means I'm not afraid to try games outside of my comfort zone, well that and it forces me to attempt to improve my skills at them. As for genres I wish I was amazing at, I would probably go with Rhythm games or Platformers since these genres are not over-saturated with amazing players. 

In terms of "wish I was good but I can't play them" are platformers and shmups. I like the genre but man do I suck at them.

In terms of "would do my absolute best to avoid them else I'd catch a plague or something" it's jRPG and sports games. You won't  catch me playing those willingly, and if I do then there's something wrong with me xD 

• Like 1

First Person games - the tunnel vision kills the immersion for me and these give me motion sickness (unless I use VR). I know some claim these games are more immersive but i find them to be quite the opposite and far less immersive. Also some of these give you all kinds of character creation which is pointless when you do not even see the character.

Sports - never found these to be fun

Rhythm games - never was a fan partially since I am terrible at them. I did not like them in Drakengard 1/3 either they were terrible.

Realistic sports games like the ones EA releases. Yawn.

I will play a more arcade style one such as NBA Hang Time, NFL Blitz, or Neo Turf Masters (SNK should consider a sequel to that with 3D graphics), but never anything like NBA Live, Madden, FIFA, Pro Evolution Soccer, PGA Tour, etc. Arcade sports games have a faster pace and bend the rules to make it more fun, like shoving being legal in Hang Time and pass interference being OK in Blitz.

MOBAS. League of Legends and DOTA 2 soured me to the point where I’m not touching Overwatch and Fortnite, among other games. LoL has one of the WORST online communities I’ve ever had the displeasure of experiencing. The games are basically PvP from the ground up, which foster a hostile community due to the competitive aspect. PvP was never my cup of tea anyway. I highly prefer PvM and PvE. 

MMORPGS is another one I won’t touch. Runescape and World of Warcraft were loads of fun back in the day. But I just can’t dedicate a thousand hours like that anymore. The games are never ending, meaning the companies can royally fuck you over with updates that break the game. Jagex and Blizzard Entertainment respectively have ruined once great games. I’d just be wasting my time if I went back.

I won’t touch The Elder Scrolls Online either. 

Edited by Spaz

Sports - football, baseball, and so on are about as fun as watching paint dry for me.

Racing - I kind of suck, plus I get bored after a while.

Fighting - I really suck.

Puzzle - was never much good at Tetris and the like, probably because I don't enjoy them enough to try.

Battle Royale/Hero Shooter - not at all what I want out of a multiplayer experience.

I wouldn’t ever rule an entire genre out for good. Even my least favourite genres like sports and racing still have decent games that I find once in awhile.

However, if I had to pick one genre that I have zero interest in it would probably be JRPGs. I find it really difficult to get into anything anime related, and many JRPGs can be pretty damn strange.

I don't like and hence will not play

FPS- boring for me

Sports games- i dont like sports in general

Racing games- again, boring and repetitive

Horror- I'm too coward for this

Fighting games- again repetitive 

Genres I would like to play but aren't good enough for the platinums

Action like Yakuza

Stealth like MGS

Music games like Hatsune Miku

Platformers like Crash Bandicoot and Sonic

Battle Royale: Took a perfect genre (Arena Shooter) and added Open World (more running/time-wasting). Also, Arena/BR is part of a game mode, where is the rest of the game?

Sports: I'll do sports if it's not a major license. Man meat isn't enough to draw me in, so no 2K/EA games. Back in the day, EA Big games were fun. Generally arcade like Mutant Football League.

MMO-something: Always felt like a chore to me. 

I'll play anything else that's not shovelware. I try to stick with 68+ on OpenCritic or similar.

Edited by Sky_RykerXD

This may looks opposite, but I hate classic RPG games, they are very boring in my opinion. There always simple combat and loads of texts and other trivial stuff that not necessary. Plus they also so fantasy and colorful, to make eyes bleeding. The top RPG genre disaster is those in cartoon style. 

Can't play arcade FPS and TPS, though I'm not good at hardcore, I prefer to struggle and learn than mindless action all around pretty graphics and again - long unnecessary story kinda always there.

Strategy games, those are really nice, but pace there just killing. The most hated are those, which don't even giving you a feeling of participation, you just click and something building, you just click and click, and watch, and click.

Walking simulators, yeah, it is good to appreciate the art, but very few of them allow to interact with it, what I want from game.

Platformers, yes, I'm a fan of Castlevania, but others just jump fest, and this becomes very tedious and annoying very quick.

There aren't any genres where I would say that I will definetely not play them but some are very unlikely. First eprson shooters for example are absolutely not my thing. If they a setting or something else wich really appeals to me I' might consider making an exception.

Like many others here I can also add sports games to that list. Years ago I liked football games and played them regulary but I kind of lost interest in them over the years. A few months ago I saw Fifa20 on a sale for like 5euros or so and thought I might try it to see if those games maybe still appeal to me after having not tried any for some years but I couldn't really get into it anymore.

Skillwise I feel less tempted to play Shoot em ups nowadays. I used to like them but having passed my 30's I can notice that my reactions are not what they once used to be and I have trouble keeping up with those games. Especially the extremely hard ones.

As for games that I will never play definitely MMORPGS, Jrpg, anything that has zombies in it, and strategy games. That’s just a big NO for me, I tried watching gameplays for some of these games but I just find it so boring and tedious to get through.

Regarding games I would like to amazing at but don't have the skill etc, any run and gun game, for instance, Cuphead, I love the design, the graphics, the gameplay but I know I would rage quit a few hours in the game or rhythm games I just LOVE them, but they require a lot of patience as you get better with time.

Sports- Just have zero interest. (Except Tony Hawk but I consider it more arcade than sports)

Fighting games- Never been good at them and they only entertain me for a short period of time. (This does not include beat em ups which is a favorite genre for me).

Horror- Nope nope nope. (Resident evil is manageable but straight horror games are a hard nope from me)

MMO- Tried a few so tedious and boring.

Battle royale- Zero interest.

I think that covers it haha.