Are there any genres of gaming you won't play?

LancashireLad87

On 11/5/2020 at 3:00 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

I will play a more arcade style one such as NBA Hang Time, NFL Blitz, or Neo Turf Masters (SNK should consider a sequel to that with 3D graphics), but never anything like NBA Live, Madden, FIFA, Pro Evolution Soccer, PGA Tour, etc. Arcade sports games have a faster pace and bend the rules to make it more fun, like shoving being legal in Hang Time and pass interference being OK in Blitz.

MLB the Show is the only actual sport franchise I like really. Mostly because I’m a long life fan of baseball, it’s history and it’s legacy. 

I have one Madden, the only actual one that doesn’t require online. The franchise as a whole is a pile of dogshit. 

NHL, NBA 2K, NBA Live, Madden, FIFA, PGA Tour, it’s the same bullshit every single year. Minimal effort with little care put into the products. Purely a money maker for casual sports fans who only buy a few AAA games per year. 

Sports titles have a long history of being unkind to trophy hunters, with absolutely ridiculous trophy requirements. NBA 2K21 is basically full on gambling/microtransactions/lootboxes, you can spend several hundred dollars and still not get the platinum. 

That’s another reason why I won’t go for them.

Considering how much money they make on Sports games, quite the divide between people on here and the general public. Though you can add me to the pile I suppose as it's a genre I basically don't play and I'm a very varied sort of person. The only thing that would count would be WWE which I have a 2010 and 2015 game on my list... potentially as it has been ages I might try another out in the future but their recent efforts have not been good so... yeah.

Racing games would be another as it is very rare I play one and after Gran Turismo 5 which I played way back and recently went back to beat... long and hard. Really don't need the aggro hehehe.

FPSs are a bit better. It's not a favourite genre of mine but I have a number, even a single CoD to at least try one (not terrible, but not something I buy constantly).

Fighting games I've got a number and if I fail to 100% something it'll be them. I actually did 100% a few fighting games with some of those annoying challenges (Marvel vs Capcom 3s involved me smashing my head against the wall until I did a tough challenge and then that was me done for the day). Still, likely one of my rarer genres.

• Like 1

I don't usually do Rhythm games too much- Although that Drakengard 3 final boss probably had something to do with me disliking rhythm type games, although I did up and buy Beat Saber haven't played it yet.
 I also don't usually buy visual novels either, sports games I buy once in a blue moon I don't mind playing Hockey, Racing, Basketball or soccer games every once in a while even though I don't follow sports at all. 
 Also don't think I've played too many RTS games either, but for the most part I do try and give each genre a chance anywhere between once or a few times anyway.

Sports games.

No matter how fun they could be (doubt.....) I hate sports in real life so I don't see myself playing any sports game ever. It's also beyond me that people are stupid enough to buy the exact same game every damn year. FIFA 2006 and FIFA 21 are the exact same game with some graphics upgrade and different teams and players, that's it.

• Like 1

Horror. 

Unless I want weeks/months of sleepless nights and/or nightmares. I played The Park a few years ago after having watched a horror movie and I couldn't sleep properly for about two months. 

However, I'm easily scared. Even the old Tomb Raider games managed to give me the creeps. 

Jump 'n Runs/Platformers. 

I just suck at them and start tilting after only 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

Sports - just not interested in sports at all.

Fighting games - I used to play them because they were also anime games but my brain can't process the controls.

Battle royale - Not interested at all.

MMORPG's - I used to play a lot of that genre but I played it so much that I burned myself out.

Roguelike - I don't like the idea of you lose, you have to restart.

Rhythm games - I ain't got rhythm

Beat 'em ups - Not my cup of tea

Racing games - Unless it's Mario Kart

I think that covers it, these genres may have exceptions like Mario Kart with racing games, but overal these are genres that I personally don't care about.

• 1 month later...

Like most in this topic, I’m going with sports, now I love a select few sports in real life but in gaming, I just never found an interest especially with the yearly releases being very copy and paste over the last decade.

The closest I got was various mini-golf titles but what’s funny is that almost one quarter of the titles in the sports genre on the ps4 store are racing or non sports games.

Other than that if a game has a good and fun trophy list and doesn’t require an insane amount of online related stuff then I’m always open to change, who knows maybe in the PS5 gen we MAY, note the word MAY get a game changer.

JRPG – A lot of the games look fantastic but it's just not my style. 

MMO – I like to control my gaming experiences, do things at my own pace and I don't like to depend on other players to achieve something. So multiplayer (especially in MMOs) is a no for me. 

Battle Royale – The above applies here, with the added bonus that the urgency of it all stresses me. 

Edited by flugurnarrr

Sport games, fighting games, racing games. For the most part, I never touch those unless it's like Mario Kart or Smash Bros. I also for the most part don't touch FPS games except for the select few. And most of all, especially for PS consoles, no purely online multiplayer or just multiplayer in general games. I'm a single-player guy

I know this wasnt apart of the question but genres I love are action, adventure, rpg, jrpg, visual novels and platformers. Those are my favorite genres

None really, not bothered if a game is 1/10 or 10/10 in difficulty, nothing i really block as far as a whole genre is concerned. But If i had to pick 1 it would be music/rhythm games, all that guitar hero, singstar or whatever just doest cut it for me but that said, if they are made cool il do them, i have Thumper for example, seems really fun that one 

Oh wait there is 1 actually, MMO, but theres a lot id like to do, Neverwinter, Path Of Exile, FF14 etc, just sucks way too much time when i got a backlog of 200+, i did Elite Dangerous but really cba to finish it if im honest, il prolly start playing some if i ever retire from popping trophies and theres a shortage of games, somehow... 

Not really, I'm just much less likely to play them.

I don't like the Battle Royale trend nor Sports games, I'm also not a fan of Visual Novels or Rhythm games, I also suck at Racing Sims but... I've played at least one game from every one of those genres and I'll often step out of my comfort zone to try something I don't usually play.

There is however one genre I absolutely refuse to play: MMORPGs, and why is that? I get way too easily addicted to an unhealthy level, so I cut them out my life a long time ago and haven't dared touched one since.

• 2 months later...

I don't like side scrollers or arcade-style graphics on modern games and I'm not super big on space games except for cartoony stuff like Ratchet & Clank, but that said, I'm usually down for almost anything as long as it doesn't specifically violate my faith. I don't do demonic/possession horror or things like Outlast II that specifically have inverted crosses on the cover and, as I've read from some people who have played it, slander Christianity, etc. My criteria is very, very specific, though. For example, I will play Dante's Inferno because it presents Satan in the proper light— as evil, conniving, and manipulative— and you get to kick his butt in the end. I'll also play Little Hope when I get to it because it seems to invoke the Salem Witch Trials, which history has shown didn't actually involve real witchcraft, but mass hysteria that turned into state-sanctioned murder.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Never say never, but I’m not big on Simulation Racing Games (Gran Turismo / Forza etc.), or most ‘realistic’ Sports Sims (Fifa / Madden etc.)

Battle Royale shooters really don’t appeal to me either, though if the right one came along maybe I’d be swayed - it just hasn’t happened yet.

• Like 1

I'm open to most genres, but If I had to pick probably Racing. I enjoy games like Gran Turismo and Forza for a little while but then get bored quite quickly. 

Not so much a genre, but I really dislike open world games that have several periods of long travelling times like Assassins Creed: Odyssey, Dragon's Dogma that type of thing. Find it mega boring, these games even had fast travel points and still found the travelling too much for me to enjoy the game!

Edited by GloriousFury9414