Are there any genres of gaming you won't play?

LancashireLad87

- Sports: I don't mind playing FIFA with some friends of mine, but this is the only exception. Furthermore, this kind of games have incredibly long, boring, grinding and tedious plats;

- Racing games: I'm not good at driving and I also find them extremely boring, I feel exhausted after a few races;

- Horror games: I'm too sissy to deal with these games, I think I would feel anxious all the time. Also, I hate being chased;

- Battle Royal: too chaotic and dispersive. I find myself running in circle or camping because I just can't play as if they were a classic Call of Duty;

- Any game which is below average or even average: I'm not interested in easy plats nor would I waste my time in mediocre titles 

- Any other Quantic Dream game: I totally disliked Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls (the latter a bit less) and these plats in which I have to replay the games an infinite amount of times just burn me out 

Stealth - Have not played a game with stealth options or a non stealth game with forced stealth segments that were enjoyable. And i cant really imagine how it could be made to be enjoyable either. 

There are a few other genres i dont expect to play again but i dont automatically write them off based on genre like i do with stealth.

FightingAside from Smash Bros, I've never been a fan of fighting games. I kinda wish I could get more into them, but I simply suck at them. Having to input precise combos like down, right, right + up, up is just simply too much for me; I end up messing them up more often than not.

Sports: I just couldn't care less about these kinds of games. Tried a few, they're always dead boring. Pretty much how I feel about sports in real life as well though.

Racing: I find these a little more interesting than sports games at least, but I'm still unlikely to touch them with a 10 foot pole unless it's some mindless fun kart game like Mario Kart or those kinda crappy Sonic ones.

Rhythm/music games: I find them boring, and kinda suck at them. Always dread rhythm sections in otherwise non-rhythm games. I did play the Persona Dancing games though simply because I'm a Megaten whore.

MMORPGs: I actually used to be really into MMOs. Started out with Runescape when I was a kid, then tried out WoW when I was around 14 and played that for a few years on and off, Cataclysm kinda ruined it for me, that's around when I stopped playing. Also played Guild Wars 2 and a bit of ESO a little later on. The only MMO I've really tried in recent years is FF14 and I pretty much just played through the free trial period and then gave up on it before it even expired. It's not like I don't like MMOs, the main problems for me are 1. They often have steep learning curves and take a while to really get into. 2. They can get boring real fast if you don't have/make friends to team up with on a regular basis. 3. They're massive time sinks. I have literally 1,000+ games in my backlog. I'd much rather devote my free time to single player games which I generally prefer more than sink 500+ hours into an MMO.

I will say though, after playing a few offline/semi-offline MMO style games, I think I actually prefer them to actual MMOs. I've recently been playing Xenoblade Chronicles X after leaving it my backlog for the past 5 years, and I'm having a blast. I think I prefer it to the original Xenoblade Chronicles, which while I did enjoy, always felt it was massively overrated, especially when compared to earlier Xeno games.

• Like 1

There are a few.

- Sport games: SSX might be one of my favorite licences, I've always hated sport games such as FIFA or NBA.

- Simulation: Exception made for the Sims, I'm not patient enough to build stuff.

- Strategy: Big no for me.

- Shoot'em up: I don't know if it's popular nowadays but I've never been interested in these games.

On 3/18/2021 at 10:26 AM, SuperSmexy500 said:

MMORPGs: I actually used to be really into MMOs. Started out with Runescape when I was a kid, then tried out WoW when I was around 14 and played that for a few years on and off, Cataclysm kinda ruined it for me, that's around when I stopped playing. Also played Guild Wars 2 and a bit of ESO a little later on. The only MMO I've really tried in recent years is FF14 and I pretty much just played through the free trial period and then gave up on it before it even expired. It's not like I don't like MMOs, the main problems for me are 1. They often have steep learning curves and take a while to really get into. 2. They can get boring real fast if you don't have/make friends to team up with on a regular basis. 3. They're massive time sinks. I have literally 1,000+ games in my backlog. I'd much rather devote my free time to single player games which I generally prefer more than sink 500+ hours into an MMO.

I will say though, after playing a few offline/semi-offline MMO style games, I think I actually prefer them to actual MMOs. I've recently been playing Xenoblade Chronicles X after leaving it my backlog for the past 5 years, and I'm having a blast. I think I prefer it to the original Xenoblade Chronicles, which while I did enjoy, always felt it was massively overrated, especially when compared to earlier Xeno games.

MMOs are an outdated model at this point. The reason they were popular back in the day was because they were the first games to allow a mass audience to play online all at once. It was a big change from both Xbox and PS2, where you had maybe 4 players or more at any given point in multiplayer.

Since GTA V and other games allow many different people on, and MMOs haven't evolved much since World of Warcraft hit its peak with Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King, they are gradually dying out. I logged onto Runescape for the first time in years, it's so goddamn boring now and yet I was a kid back in the early 2000s who would spend countless hours fishing and fighting giants in Edgeville Dungeon.

Eventually they'll turn out like arcade machines, dead in the water. Sure there's a couple decent MMOs out there, I played Maple Quest and Everquest in addition to some others. But I can't hold my attention for a few hours at a time without getting real bored of them.

RTS was the first thing that came to mind. I'll play some genres more than others but for the most part like to play a variety of games. I just can't get into RTS games. There's way too much going on at once and it's overwhelming. I've never had the patience to invest learning how to play them properly.

Just now, plataa89 said:

RTS was the first thing that came to mind. I'll play some genres more than others but for the most part like to play a variety of games. I just can't get into RTS games. There's way too much going on at once and it's overwhelming. I've never had the patience to invest learning how to play them properly.

It's funny. When i was younger, the game i love the most was Command & Conquer Red alert. I used to watch my stepdad play it for many hours. It was our bonding thing.

When i got a little older, i played it myself, and also Age of Empires 2.

But today i just can't play RTS games. It's one of those things i grew out of. But i still love the memories!

My taste in games changes sometimes, and some genres i have played always (GTA f.ex).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...