Didn’t like Outlast, would I like this?

TimeLordCrow13y

The collection is on sale right now and I’m wondering whether I should pick it up or not. 

(Possible extremely mild content spoilers for both Outlast games)

Here’s my dilemma: I love horror games but usually tend to prefer 3rd person horror. My favorite horror games of all time are Haunting Ground and the Fatal Frame Series (sans V, which I’ve yet to play).

I had the opportunity to play the Outlast games recently and didn’t like them at all (ended up returning them to GameStop). 

I didn’t find the enemies that never de-spawned from certain areas to be scary, only frustrating. I didn’t like that the game was mostly focused on run-and-hide mechanics with little story and even less in the way of puzzle solving.  

I didn’t like that I couldn’t even distract the enemies (much less fight back in any way). I found the first person controls more cumbersome to work with when trying to run from stalkers, and overall the settings/stories of both Outlast games were a little too OTT for my taste. I tend to prefer more psychological horror w/o overly gratuitous gore. 

TL; DR: to those who have played both series, are they different enough that I could enjoy the Amnesia games even if I didn’t like the Outlast games? 

15 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

The collection is on sale right now and I’m wondering whether I should pick it up or not. 

Here’s my dilemma: I love horror games but usually tend to prefer 3rd person horror. My favorite horror games of all time are Haunting Ground and the Fatal Frame Series (sans V, which I’ve yet to play).

I had the opportunity to play the Outlast games recently and didn’t like them at all (ended up returning them to GameStop). 

I didn’t find the enemies that never de-spawned from certain areas to be scary, only frustrating. I didn’t like that the game was mostly focused on run-and-hide mechanics with little story and even less in the way of puzzle solving.  

I didn’t like that I couldn’t even distract the enemies (much less fight back in any way). I found the first person controls more cumbersome to work with when trying to run from stalkers, and overall the settings/stories of both Outlast games were a little too OTT for my taste. I tend to prefer more psychological horror w/o overly gratuitous gore. 

TL; DR: to those who have played both series, are they different enough that I could enjoy the Amnesia games even if I didn’t like the Outlast games? 

Dont bother with amnesia. If i understand your post correctly, i dont think you would enjoy those type of games. You didnt like outlast, you probably wont like amnesia either (although they cant really be compared).

If you don't like Outlast you likely won't enjoy Amnesia either, as Outlast took a lot from Amnesia. The basic concepts are the same, no combat, running and hiding, the main difference is that in Amnesia, a lot less action is happening, less gore is shown, so most of the time you will be walking through desolate areas trying to puzzle things together.

41 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Then you probably won't like it either. In Amnesia you are as much as defenseless, there is a mind/fear gauge on top of that and some puzzles/fetch and catch to make progress.

1 hour ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

you wont like it either bud as ur more defenceless in amnesia 

Survival horror games that came for PS2 were definitely the best especially Haunting Ground, Silent Hill 2 & 3, Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly, and Obscure and a few ones like Kuon, Cold Fear & Extermination. I've played these many times; however, I tried to play Outlast and just don't do it for me anyway. I also tried Amnesia and I found it a bit of mehh. More kind of hide and seek style game. 

You might want to check Remothered: Tormented Fathers and Broken Porcelain (wait for the patch). It is stalker based 3rd person survival horror. I'm also looking for more horror games to play similar to Haunting Ground & Fatal Frame. I'm thinking of picking up Blair Witch & The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan and Little Hope but 100% unsure about these games yet.

Edited by r3viladdict
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, r3viladdict said:

Survival horror games that came for PS2 were definitely the best especially Haunting Ground, Silent Hill 2 & 3, Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly, and Obscure and a few ones like Kuon, Cold Fear & Extermination. I've played these many times; however, I tried to play Outlast and just don't do it for me anyway. I also tried Amnesia and I found it a bit of mehh. More kind of hide and seek style game. 

You might want to check Remothered: Tormented Fathers and Broken Porcelain (wait for the patch). It is stalker based 3rd person survival horror. I'm also looking for more horror games to play similar to Haunting Ground & Fatal Frame. I'm thinking of picking up Blair Witch & The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan and Little Hope but 100% unsure about these games yet.

Can recommend all 3 of the last ones you mentioned. All of them are a welcome change compared to nowadays‘ game releases. I must admit though that Man of Medan and Little Hope are not really scary. 

• Like 2

I think that everyone here who says Amnesia is like Outlast never actually played Amnesia, outside of watching pewdiepie playing it. Outlast is a horror build on jumpscares and all present gore. It grosses you out, and makes you jump in your chair every once in a while. Amnesia is all about the atmosphere, some puzzle solving, and an interesting story.

2 hours ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

My favorite horror games of all time are Haunting Ground and the Fatal Frame Series (sans V, which I’ve yet to play).

Fatal Frame, Haunting Grounds, Silent Hill, and Amnesia are among my favorite horror games so I'd say you should definitely give it a shot. 

Gameplay-wise, you can avoid many enemy encounters, distract them or just run in some places, and if you're stuck on some areas the enemies will despawn after a while.

• Like 1

The only difference between those two games, is that Outlast relied too much on jumpscares, where Amnesia is more about the psychological horror with sound and sanity meter. Also, one takes place in a crazy asylum and the other in a castle. 

Other than that, you hide from enemies, you can defend yourself, you have some puzzles, and the game is not that long. Maybe the good atmosphere can add to the experience, but I don't think there is much that can win you over.

For the reasons you said, I'd doubt you would enjoy it, as in Amnesia you are even more defenceless and rely in hiding a lot.

However I would still highly recommend Amnesia, especially for those who have played very few horror games (like myself). It has a wonderfully creepy atmosphere, and it really gave me a better appreciation for the genre, especially psycholgical horror games.

Edited by groomyboy

1 hour ago, xDerErnst said:

I'm not that much into horror but one game I can recommend would be alien isolation. Because in that game you can actually defend yourself. since i'm not used to horror games there also were a bunch of moments where I almost stopped playing.

As much as I love Alien Isolation, the game has some serious flaws that can make a person give up before even finishing the game for the first time.

• 11 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 0:07 AM, HarasserPL said:

As much as I love Alien Isolation, the game has some serious flaws that can make a person give up before even finishing the game for the first time.

I find it really interesting that you say that. Alien Isolation was with no doubt, a very polarizing title. The game was unique in a sense and received a lot of flack when it first released back in 2014, but many players seemed to cherish it more and more as time went by.

I personally couldn't bring myself to finish it, I think I only made it to the medical bay which is fairly early in the game, just a couple of chapters after first encountering the Alien. The atmosphere was astounding, but as you wrote, the flaws were too profuse to look past so I ended up stopping cold turkey. Such a shame as I was following along a completionist guide planning to nab the platinum. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 10:25 PM, GamingNation2K said:

I find it really interesting that you say that. Alien Isolation was with no doubt, a very polarizing title. The game was unique in a sense and received a lot of flack when it first released back in 2014, but many players seemed to cherish it more and more as time went by.

I personally couldn't bring myself to finish it, I think I only made it to the medical bay which is fairly early in the game, just a couple of chapters after first encountering the Alien. The atmosphere was astounding, but as you wrote, the flaws were too profuse to look past so I ended up stopping cold turkey. Such a shame as I was following along a completionist guide planning to nab the platinum. 

You decided to quit when it was still quite bearable. After around 10h of the game, the devs made their product a fucking chore to finish. God awful backtracking and prolonging every chapter with dumb "what you're gonna do now huh?" Moments was just too much for a lot of people.