Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Review Thread

WGGUKAT.png 

Metacritic - 85

Digital Spy - 10/10

New York City is a fantastic setting to step into the world of next-gen gaming, with smooth, consistent frame rates and the mind-blowing ray-tracing capabilities to carry Spider-Man into the future. With Insomniac Games likely planning DLC to extend the campaign, Miles Morales is a brilliant follow-up to a fantastic PlayStation-exclusive franchise that will likely tempt over many gamers on the fence to buy the PS5, just so they can experience this wondrous story.

Playstation Lifestyle - 10/10

Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales is the perfect showcase of the PS5, espousing multiple enhancements to its last-gen predecessor while also feeling familiar. Even apart from its standing as a flagship PS5 launch title, Miles Morales is Insomniac perfecting the formula from the original game and offering an experience that is more concise, focused, and full of heart than the first.

GamesBeat - 10/10

I'm not sure if a Sony home console has ever had a better PlayStation launch game than Spider-Man: Miles Morales. This certainly beats Knack and Killzone: Whatever the Subtitle Was on PlayStation 4

EGM - 10/10

Don’t be fooled into thinking Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales is some minor spin-off of Insomniac Games’ PS4 exclusive. Sure, it’s not as long, but the experience is packed with enough new gameplay ideas and design refinements that it feels every bit like a true, substantial successor. Throw in a story that does justice to Miles as a character and tech that wonderfully showcases the power of the PlayStation 5, and you just might have one of the best console launch titles of the modern era

God is a Geek - 9.5/10

Miles Morales manages to improve on the fantastic game that came before it. Insomniac Games continue to be on fire with perhaps their best game ever

COG Connected - 9.5/10

Though it’s not as polished as the 2018 original, Spider-Man Miles Morales is a smashing success. It looks sensational and is an absolute riot to play. Miles’ story brings all the drama and feels it needs to and highlights a community outside what’d normally be on the drawing board for a game like this. Despite some bugginess, this is the game you want to show off your impressive new hardware. I can guarantee I’ll be slinging from Harlem to Hell’s Kitchen daily for the foreseeable future

USGamer - 9/10

The early heroic career of Miles Morales gets some shine in this standalone soft sequel to Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4. Web swinging is still fantastic and the combat system expands with Miles' more varied powerset. And while you might have played most of this game before, Insomniac does an amazing job telling the story of its version of Miles. Rooted in his new home of Spanish Harlem, he's probably the most "friendly neighborhood" of any version of Spider-Man

IGN - 9/10

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales may not be quite as packed with content as the original, but it stands out as an essential story in Insomniac’s Spidey Universe. It earns its spot as a fantastic follow-up, telling a wonderful Miles-specific story while improving upon the fundamentals of the first game with distinctive moves and enemies. And it’s an excellent way to break in your new PlayStation 5; it looks spectacular, loads fast, and makes fun use of the DualSense controller, the directional audio, and more. But regardless of which generation you play it on, it’s a worthy followup to one of the best superhero games ever made.

Game Informer - 9/10

No load times. Beautiful raytracing. The PlayStation 5 version of Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a technical juggernaut that continually impresses. It is the ideal way to play the game if you can. Feeling the Venom flow through the controller is quite cool. That’s not to say the PlayStation 4 version is far behind, however. Marvel’s Spider-Man from 2018 remains one of the generation’s best-looking and playing games, and this game’s performance is in lockstep with it. Fast travel and restarts bring up short subway rides and loading screens (they are instant on PS5), and the visuals may not have that next-gen sheen, but the PS4 version is still a beautiful and worthy way to experience this excellent game

Playstation Universe - 9/10

A stunning and must-have PlayStation 5 launch title, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a beautifully digestible superhero yarn that not only maintains the formula of its 2018 predecessor, but which also lays down an enticing blueprint for a full blown sequel to follow. This is essential stuff.

Destructoid - 9/10

I came in fully expecting it to be a side story, but it was much more than that.

Easy Allies - 9/10

Whether you’re taking in the details up close, or soaring over the freezing skyline, Spider-Man: Miles Morales looks and performs better than the first game in every way. It’s clearly setting the stage for a massive sequel, but this is more than just a stop-gap between generations. The struggles that Miles faces and the fears that he conquers to become a hero on his own terms make this short but sweet side-story memorable and meaningful. It’s an unmissable adventure for any Spider-fan that can’t wait for a second chance to suit up.

PushSquare - 8/10

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales is effortlessly cool. The overall gameplay structure may prove samey for those who failed to fall in love with Insomniac Games’ previous effort, but everyone else will have a blast with this generous spin-off story. Great characters, tons of activities, and some epic set-piece moments round out a must play superhero romp – and with the developer on this kind of form, we can’t wait to see more of the full-scale sequel that it’s inevitably cooking up

Telegraph - 6/10

Perhaps inevitably, on PS5 the game itself almost feels like a secondary concern to the tech demo but developers Insomniac deserve credit for delivering an experience at once both familiar enough to appeal to fans of the first game but also with a strong identity of its own.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 3

Reviewers said its around 10 hours long which was to be expected, since Spiderman took about 20 hours on its own. However I feel like the game is too expensive for how much shorter it is. It's basically the same price here in Australia as a new PS4 game like Cyberpunk 2077.

That being said, usually I would wait for a sale on a game like this but I'm making an exception this time around since I want to play something other than just Demon's Souls on my PS5 lol

Edited by PostGameBlues

17 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

Reviewers said its around 10 hours long which was to be expected, since Spiderman took about 20 hours on its own. However I feel like the game is too expensive for how much shorter it is. It's basically the same price here in Australia as a new PS4 game like Cyberpunk 2077.

through all 6 games im picking up at launch, even though im hyped for Spiderman, i think I'll wait on playing it. Not sure though yet. 10hrs seems super short and reminds me of Infamous First Light to Second Son.

First Light was maybe what 4 or 5hr? with a small amount of collectables, and a tacked on challenge mode for extra padding. 

what i do hope for with MM however is that the ending leads to a (3rd? or is it a sequel to Spiderman and MM is the spinoff) game in the series where you get both Parker and Morales, with a bigger length game again (25-30hrs) with Venom, Carnage, Doc Oc, Hob Goblin (screw green goblin lol) and whoever else as a finale to a trilogy of games. So that is my hope.. 

EDIT: Forgot to say, the reason i got ultimate Edition is it was $80 here vs 65$ for just MM. So since i sold my ps4 Spiderman,  why not...

Edited by LegacyJKO09

I don't think there's anything wrong with a full priced 10 hour game. I'd argue that a lot of modern games would benefit from being shortened, for example a lot of the missions in Spider-Man are effectively just side-quests which didn't need to be put into the main story and could have been left for you to discover, take those out and I'd imagine the game isn't much longer than 10 hours.