Polygon: PS5 save files can only be backed up to PlayStation Plus

Swotam

Haha what I said was in the OP. This might consern me a little, never used an USB for saves though, only plus. Agree with poster bellow though, I remeber plus getting full in the start of PS4 generation. LBP profile took like half your ps plus storage.

Edited by Morfea

1 minute ago, diskdocx said:

Actually, yeah, it is a big deal. Plus backups are limited - both in terms of total storage size, but also number of saves. I have started deleting Plus saves as I am over the cap (which I think is 1000 saves).

You're correct - though it appears to be per platform, as I can still back up my Vita saves even if I've reached the PS4 cap (which is, indeed, tremendously annoying and makes the 100Gb meaningless)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Swotam said:

This strikes me as more of a “get more people to pay for PS+“ decision that anything else. If Sony eliminates the unpaid options, then the paid option becomes the only choice and therefore more appealing?

https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/6/21551875/ps5-save-data-backup-cloud-usb-storage

Yep, that must be, making more and more indispensable to subscribe to ps+

1 minute ago, visighost said:

You're correct - though it appears to be per platform, as I can still back up my Vita saves even if I've reached the PS4 cap (which is, indeed, tremendously annoying and makes the 100Gb meaningless)

I wonder if this is a prelude to Sony offering additional storage space as a paid add-on to PS+?

Well shit, another feature/ability stripped away by Sony for absoluely no reason. How does Sony even create an excuse for this and the other moves they've made like this?

Now I'm guessing there won't be ANY USB/External Storage media player for the PS5 either along with this tom-fuckery?

Edited by PepsiMaxVanilla

If they make it free to back up online then it's a small loss but I'll get over it. That's how microsoft does it and I didn't really expect sony to do something different. If it needs a paid plus subscription that's a little upsetting but I'd hope they change it to free quickly after they get backlash.

On a different note, this'll make the cheater removal team's job easier for longer. Hackers will need to work harder to decrypt the saves if they can't easily load them from a USB.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KimmysGotGame said:

If they make it free to back up online then it's a small loss but I'll get over it. That's how microsoft does it and I didn't really expect sony to do something different. If it needs a paid plus subscription that's a little upsetting but I'd hope they change it to free quickly after they get backlash.

Given that cloud saves on PS3 / PS4 required a PS+ paid subscription, it’s unlikely that it’ll be free on PS5. Screenshots in the article clearly show the Plus icon beside these options, suggesting that they’re only available to paid subscribers. Of course, they could always add the ability to save to USB via a software update if there’s a lot of community backlash...

Edited by Swotam
Typos
  • Like 1

This sucks if they don't fix it. If you're playing a game on PS Now that will expire soon, and your network is off so you have extra days to play, you won't be able to back up your save to the USB.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1