Polygon: PS5 save files can only be backed up to PlayStation Plus

Swotam

I was pretty annoyed and actually shocked when I read this, others have already said ti but it reminds me of copy protected saves on the ps3 which was just bs. After watching reviews, I have also just learnt that you can't use an external drive to save downloaded games on either. Seriously?! I really hope Sony is planning on releasing firmware to address these things because its starting to be a bit too much for me in terms of what I can do with my own data.  

• Like 1

Don't forget guys, save file cap is 1000 files, even though we are paying for 100GB of PSN cloud storage. I'm already capped and I've only used..(LOL) 15GB. GG.

Sadly this is xbox’s generation to shine

If you havent noticed by now, the winners circle is ps2, then xbox 360(you can argue ps3 eventually won the race but 360 had it locked down for the majority of the generation And ps3 launch was BAD), Then ps4 won, now Its back to microsoft to take the lead and run with it

Edited by Property_Damage

54 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Sadly this is xbox’s generation to shine

If you havent noticed by now, the winners circle is ps2, then xbox 360(you can argue ps3 eventually won the race but 360 had it locked down for the majority of the generation And ps3 launch was BAD), Then ps4 won, now Its back to microsoft to take the lead and run with it

The Wii was well ahead of the Xbox 360 for the entire 7th generation, the only thing the Xbox 360 won was most embarrassing tech issue when half the original production 360's encountered the red ring of death.

Yeah it'd be nice if Sony kept this feature for the PS5 but it seems like a fairly niche issue. You'd have to be a serious gamer who keeps a significant amount of saves and either not have PS Plus (unusual for a serious gamer to not care about multiplayer or free games) or have reached the file limit (even if you're keeping two to three saves per game, are you really going to go back and restart 300-500 games from prior saves again).

• Like 1

I don't have PS Plus, it's not about it being cheap or whatnot, it's about wasting money on services I don't need (I don't play multiplayer, I have a huge backlog of games I want to play without adding "free" games that I already have or wasn't interested in the first place, I use USB for saves, and the double discounts suck most of the time).  Being able to transfer saves to USB was handy in case of corruption and glitched Trophies.  There is no acceptable reason why it had to be removed, just hoping that Sony had to do the bare minimum in terms of launch software features and add it back in their firmware updates.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

You sound like a contrarian. You can compare things without being a fanboy, and thus without the bs console wars that involves stupid memes, lying, and dumb assery.

Nobody needs to have "refrigerator wars" to pick the better fridge. Clownery.

Meh, I'm hardly a contrarian because  the definition of the norm varies, in the videogame  hemisphere too as well.

Videogames have more of a sentimental build up, a type of hook in my subjective opinion, where you can enjoy  a good movie while also playing an active part in it, learn a "trade", get better at it, and be proud, meet multiple social aspects, online or physically and so on, a refrigerator is just a means to an end, videogames  sollicit our tribal impulses.

It is much much easier for someone  to ignore the console wars, than  for the majority to resist those impulses, on a personal level, I don't care about Sony, I hope they struggle, simply because it gives them motivation, but that's not how everyone works, unfortunately.

I wish there was this much (and much more) uproar over backing up and transferring entire digital titles, not just their saves.

I’m not worried about this one just yet because I’m confident it’s coming later. People tend to oversimplify how easy it is to add in functionality in a newly designed system that hasn’t even shipped yet. I’ll guarantee 60 days ago the OS version wasn’t even the final shipping version yet. And over the last 60 days and next couple weeks, they’re still addressing bugs so there will be OS patches for the basics.  Adding new functionality to the core OS needs to happen at the right time. 

Guess who’s been going through crunch? Playstation right now. 

Be patient black widows 

eventually they will do something with future updates

they know that big numbers wont have ps plus and those needs to backup their save files 

as confirmed on release a support for external hard drive so a support for transfer save files will come out 

Edited by cometowner
Correction
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, OnlyCass said:

Anyone buying a PS5 and not signing up for PS Plus to get 20 of the greatest games available on playstation included in the subscription is mad in my eyes.

Unless your someone like me who already owns all the games in that 20 that interest you.

I have PS+ until 2022 so short of my Internet going down this shouldn't affect me personally. That said I do fully agree with & support everyone who is angry about this, I've been using memory sticks to back up my saves since the Xbox 360.

Sometimes I want to play on a console where I don't necessarily have Internet access or like when I bought my house, for the first 3 weeks I lived here I had no Internet while my provider was setting it up so being able to backup & transfer my saves via USB was essential.

Other instances are when I play on my profile at a friend's house or when I visit my sister who is a fellow gamer, rather than having to sign in & then download my saves for whatever I'm playing on at the time, I literally pop in my USB & I'm good to go.

Taking away the option of backing up our saves & leaving a paid subscription as the only option to do so is completely anti-consumer & there is no need for it.

It's a pity Sony themselves have kept this quiet so its only been found out right before launch, I imagine the backlash would have been much bigger had it have been common knowledge, something you can guarantee Sony have actively tried to avoid by keeping it quiet.

• Like 2

Talk about yet another bad move by Sony, eh?

The most hilarious part is that they're most likely going to add this later down the road with a patch that we're going to be applauding. If this was something that was already present on previous consoles, why take it away to then add it with an update? It makes no sense. That's the sort of feature that should be available from the get-go. I don't think it'd be something that it would be too hard to do. =/

In the event that it never it comes with a latter update and then they force everyone to have PS+ to back up their saves, then whoa, that would be a terribly shitty and anti-consumer move on their side. With the rate of bad decisions they've been doing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the case.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cometowner said:

Be patient black widows 

eventually they will do something with future updates

they know that big numbers wont have ps plus and those needs to backup their save files 

as confirmed on release a support for external hard drive so a support for transfer save files will come out 

A rational comment, I 100% agree this will be the same, if not the patch on release day, then a patch after. :highfive:

1 hour ago, Honor_Hand said:

If this was something that was already present on previous consoles, why take it away to then add it with an update? It makes no sense.

Because this isn’t a previous console. It has to be built in to take it away. This is all new hardware with all new code base. 

• Like 1

I understand why they want to do this, but this is like jumping to step 3 before doing steps 1 and 2.  First of all, cloud saves are only available for PS+ users.  Less than 50% of PlayStation owners are PS+ subscribers.  So this has negative impact on more than half of the user base.  Second, PSN isn't exactly the most stable network out there.  It goes down whenever they do routine maintenance and when you don't install their mandatory firmware updates, you cannot even go access PS+. 

• Like 1