Polygon: PS5 save files can only be backed up to PlayStation Plus

Swotam

1 hour ago, DividedByMankind said:

Hope this is really true 1f44d.png so we can get rid of the cheaters. Finally people have to do their games them selfs. And not cheat trophies!1f44d.png

It's hilarious that you think this has anything to do with cheating. Sony doesn't care at all about trophy cheating. This is about Sony forcing more people to buy Plus if they want to back up their saves. And removing options to let them have any other method to do so.

If anything, I would argue that this type of pay-walling of features encourages more people to use custom firmware options.

• Like 4

On 2020-11-06 at 9:09 AM, Swotam said:

FYI, not the end of the world but something to be aware of if you like having more than one place to save scum. Looks like copying to USB isn’t an option for PS5 titles which means if you don’t subscribe to PS+ you can’t backup your saves outside of a full system backup. Obviously this introduces potential headaches for trophy hunters.

This strikes me as more of a “get more people to pay for PS+“ decision that anything else. If Sony eliminates the unpaid options, then the paid option becomes the only choice and therefore more appealing?

https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/6/21551875/ps5-save-data-backup-cloud-usb-storage

Another reason I won't miss not getting a PS5.

6 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/heres-how-to-transfer-games-from-ps4-to-ps5/1100-6484130/

Can this be put to rest now

There's multiple ways to transfer saves according to gamespot

@Swotam

Your article is about PS4 saves.

The thread topic is about backing up PS5 saves off the console via a means other than a Plus subscription.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Your article is about PS4 saves.

The thread topic is about backing up PS5 saves off the console via a means other than a Plus subscription.

Ah ok, actually that puts me at ease at the moment. For some reason I remembered it being ps4 saves transfer to ps5

My bad, continue

Though I do think this will be patched in day 1 if not within the first month. Hell no one knew about the ps5 remote play on ps4 and ps4 remote play on ps5. But I do think they should have sent out a tweet about the current situation for usb saves

Edited by Dav9834

9 hours ago, FubarMind said:

When did gaming industry become this amount of shit show that putting Multiplayer, Cloud saves and "Discounts" behind a paywall is beneficial for gamers!?

When massive billion dollar publishing companies and powerful corporations like Activision had a say in things.

Sony and Microsoft are both on a race to the bottom, it seems. I guess my only real place for refuge anymore is casually playing games on Steam.

If anything, they'll eventually just make it to where you can backup saves to the cloud for free. I have a feeling this was also done due to people using save editing programs and cheating their games. I'm not happy with cloud save though. I have been backing up my save data for years to a USB due to lost or corrupted save data. I liked having control of my hard earned work. I never trusted Cloud Storage. What if their servers go down or get lost?! I prefer backing them up and keeping them on my PC. I also make 2 backups in the event a drive dies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Salarian00 said:

I have a feeling this was also done due to people using save editing programs and cheating their games.

Why do you think this? Sony has given no indication about this direction in any of its history. Sony doesn’t take any action in any way toward cheating games using saves. 

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

Why do you think this? Sony has given no indication about this direction in any of its history. Sony doesn’t take any action in any way toward cheating games using saves. 

When I go to other forums all I hear is people complaining about cheaters and save scumming. If you look at the recent Avengers game there are people that are way overpowered. So, somehow they are able to modify their game. For MK11, NRS made it to where all unlocked content has to have a server side authentication. They explained that it was due to people cheating/exploiting save data. So if you never connect to the internet or don't have access you can't earn anything in that game. So, I see that this may be 1 reason why Sony blocked PS5 save backup to USB.

• Like 1

IMO it’s all about money. They’re a publicly traded company therefore their number one mission is to increase shareholder value by increasing revenue. If they limit the ability to backup save data and make this a “feature” of PS+ it will likely drive an increase in subscription numbers and revenue at the end of the day as there will inevitably be players who didn’t subscribe previously who will throw in the towel and pay. They did the same sort of thing with PS4 when PS+ became mandatory if you wanted to play online, and I expect they’ll continue to put console functionality behind the PS+ paywall going forward. I wouldn’t be surprised to see stuff like external drive support and other currently missing features become PS+ “exclusive” as services revenue is much more lucrative than hardware revenue. A customer will pay once to get a PS5, but if you can get them to pay for PS+ for years then that’s all gravy as the cost to provide these services is minimal compared to how much revenue they generate.

I honestly don’t think Sony gives a crap about people fiddling around with game saves to get trophies or anything of that sort, beyond any activities that might compromise the console itself, and I don’t think that has anything to do with this change.

13 minutes ago, Swotam said:

IMO it’s all about money. They’re a publicly traded company therefore their number one mission is to increase shareholder value by increasing revenue. If they limit the ability to backup save data and make this a “feature” of PS+ it will likely drive an increase in subscription numbers and revenue at the end of the day as there will inevitably be players who didn’t subscribe previously who will throw in the towel and pay. They did the same sort of thing with PS4 when PS+ became mandatory if you wanted to play online, and I expect they’ll continue to put console functionality behind the PS+ paywall going forward. I wouldn’t be surprised to see stuff like external drive support and other currently missing features become PS+ “exclusive” as services revenue is much more lucrative than hardware revenue. A customer will pay once to get a PS5, but if you can get them to pay for PS+ for years then that’s all gravy as the cost to provide these services is minimal compared to how much revenue they generate.

I honestly don’t think Sony gives a crap about people fiddling around with game saves to get trophies or anything of that sort, beyond any activities that might compromise the console itself, and I don’t think that has anything to do with this change.

I guess that makes sense. It just sucks that I can't backup my save data on my own terms. Maybe one day it'll change if there is enough backlash.

14 minutes ago, Swotam said:

If they limit the ability to backup save data and make this a “feature” of PS+ it will likely drive an increase in subscription numbers

Will it though? This is going to be the thing that gets people who have gone through all of PS3 and PS4's history without Plus to throw in the towel and finally fork over that $5/mo? Save backup?

26 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Will it though? This is going to be the thing that gets people who have gone through all of PS3 and PS4's history without Plus to throw in the towel and finally fork over that $5/mo? Save backup?

It worked when they made online paid - that for buying the next console generation. Upgrade from PS3 to PS4 and pay more for the same. Went pretty well. Many gamers obviously pay for everything: DLC, game stacks, Microtransactions. They even say they get games "for free" when they rent them with their monthly subscription.

Having said that, I doubt that this is SONY's intention, but who knows - should PSPlus numbers increase for save back-ups, it just might become one.

12 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

It worked when they made online paid - that for buying the next console generation. Upgrade from PS3 to PS4 and pay more for the same. Went pretty well. Many gamers obviously pay for everything: DLC, game stacks, Microtransactions. They even say they get games "for free" when they rent them with their monthly subscription.

But in that sense, paying to play online was a paywall to actually experience everything in the game. Exporting saves? Hardly equivalent.

12 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

But in that sense, paying to play online was a paywall to actually experience everything in the game. Exporting saves? Hardly equivalent.

Equivalency depends on how you choose your parameters. A free feature of a former console isn't a feature of the new console anymore, unless you pay money for it. Sounds pretty equivalent practice to me, even if the subject is admittedly different.

• Like 1

This sucks, I've been locked away from PS+ features for years as my original account is from Spain, which I made back in the day when I lived there, now I live in the Americas, and buying anything from the Spain PS Store is a pain in the ass (and way more expensive), thus I use an American account to subscribe to PS+ in order to play online, but never was able to use the backup function on my main account, now this?? geez... thanks SONY gfys

Edited by Fabrago

54 minutes ago, Spaz said:

What does this have to do with people hating modern gaming?

if someone hate modern gaming and complaints about it and keep going back to the thing they hate  it seems avoiding the solution such pointless negativity, whining and the likes are draining for me. I had depressions in the past so i cant bring myself to complain about something that bring  me joy. no mater what. i just try stay positive but the sheer negativity in gaming is kind of depressing. so yeah one reason why i hate the community and i am fine with the rest. no offence.

13 minutes ago, M1138147 said:

if someone hate modern gaming and complaints about it and keep going back to the thing they hate  it seems avoiding the solution such pointless negativity, whining and the likes are draining for me. I had depressions in the past so i cant bring myself to complain about something that bring  me joy. no mater what. i just try stay positive but the sheer negativity in gaming is kind of depressing. so yeah one reason why i hate the community and i am fine with the rest. no offence.

It’s nothing new. I’ve had to come to grips and accept it. 

While I don’t like much of what encompasses modern gaming today, I don’t think I can leave gaming altogether anytime soon, because I still enjoy gaming and going after trophies.