IGN - PS5 UI Does Not Have Custom Themes

MichMasteR

The PlayStation 5’s UI brings with it a host of changes that evolve what players experienced on the PS4, and while things like Trophies, Account Avatars photos, and more have made the transition, one notable piece of the PS4 UI has not made the next-gen leap - themes.

Themes have played a big role in the life of the PS4 as a way of customizing the console’s UI. Both static and dynamic themes have been available by the hundreds for players to purchase or grab for free, some reskinning the icons to a game-specific look, or adding music from your favorite games to your PS4 hub. Other, more static themes just change the look, but still let players add an additional personal touch.

The PS5, as of our pre-launch experience, has no themes. IGN has reached out to Sony about the decision to not have themes for PS5, and whether it’s a feature the company is considering adding back in. We’ll update this story should they respond, but there’s at least one likely reason we aren’t seeing themes.

For the most part, PS5’s UI takes an inverse approach to the PS4’s. Sony’s soon-to-be last-gen system largely put all its icons on display at once and made them the focal point of the UI. A host of games, apps, and settings icons are often shown all prominently on screen simultaneously. The PS5’s UI moves many of those features to the top of the screen, or even more directly in the pop-up Control Center menu, which acts as an overlay to the PS5.

Instead, each PS5 game we’ve seen so far comes with its own mini-theme of sorts. Take Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, which showcases a big piece of art for Miles in his Spidey suit while one of the game’s themes plays in the background. But if you switch over to Astro’s Playroom, a new piece of Astro art dominates the screen, with music from that game playing. While not as much of an overhaul to the UI as a dynamic theme could be, it seems each PS5 game will offer a bit of specialization to your PS5 dashboard as you hover over it.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-does-not-have-themes

13 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Before we all start wailing and sending death threats, let's bear in mind that this will probably be added in a (near) future update

Idk man I'm about to bring out my pitchforks and Twitter fingers to send death threats demanding themes to be brought back! 

Serious talk though, that should've been present at launch. Why take a step backwards in the first place? 

Seeing this thread pop-up and the one about USB save transfer not being compatible for certain ps5 games makes me a bit happier knowing I won't get a ps5 at launch. There's lots of quality of life features that are lacking and that would make the experience much better and I'll gladly wait until they're added. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PooPooBlast said:

Idk man I'm about to bring out my pitchforks and Twitter fingers to send death threats demanding themes to be brought back! 

Serious talk though, that should've been present at launch. Why take a step backwards in the first place? 

Seeing this thread pop-up and the one about USB save transfer not being compatible for certain ps5 games makes me a bit happier knowing I won't get a ps5 at launch. There's lots of quality of life features that are lacking and that would make the experience much better and I'll gladly wait until they're added. 

Perhaps at this point Sony can just tell us which features the PS5 will have. Shouldn't be that hard to list all 3 of them.

I'm hoping that the thing will at least be able to play games. Maybe that can be patched in later though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

Hello there! Glad we share the share mindset for these non issues.

if Sony removed trophies, it would be a non issue for many people but not for you. 

Same thing applies here, there is people who do care about it.

Edited by MichMasteR
  • Like 2

Just now, MichMasteR said:

if Sony removed trophies, it would be a non issue for many people but not for you. 

Same thing applies here, there is people who do care about.

It would still be a non issue. You make a lot of assumptions about people without actually knowing them. Typical

• Like 2

After watching that UI video Sony put out a few weeks back, I didn't see how themes could really be a thing on PS5 with the way the background image and songs would change just by hovering over them in the menu (on PS4 you actually had to go down to get more details for this to occur). I liked PS4 themes, but it's not something I'll really miss. 

They are likely planned to be added in the future. This is from this week.

In the future, Nishino-san would like to consider implementing customization elements for the home screen like the custom themes that are on PS4.

First of all, he’d like users to get hands-on with the UI when the PS5 launches and get used to its operation.

https://twinfinite.net/2020/11/ps5-ui-customization/

48 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

After watching that UI video Sony put out a few weeks back, I didn't see how themes could really be a thing on PS5 with the way the background image and songs would change just by hovering over them in the menu (on PS4 you actually had to go down to get more details for this to occur). I liked PS4 themes, but it's not something I'll really miss. 

Same. I really liked PS5's UI. I'm wasn't much of a theme fan, the only one I truly liked are TLOU Pt2 steelbook theme, and the occasional holidays theme just to add that christmas bump to the apartment. Still, I'm sure Sony will somehow add it in the future.

So has it been confirmed 

2 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

It would still be a non issue. You make a lot of assumptions about people without actually knowing them. Typical

nah bruh, its def an issue

Actually I thought they were only getting rid of custom themes for now, if it's themes as a whole that really really sucks. Just got my P5R themes too, damn

I guess you can't even change the color of the main theme this time? Dang lol

The PS3 and I think the PS4 got theme support via updates, so I'm sure they'll come at some point. Probably wan't a main priority for the UI when you have deadlines to build it

Edited by BlindMango

Another thing not available at launch. I was already considering cancelling my preorder due to not being able to upgrade the storage because of the NVME slot being locked.

Honestly just thinking it may be worth waiting until you can actually use all the features before purchasing. 

• Like 1