'Second hand' PS3 trophies ruined my profile.

Morphiar

I bought a pre-owned PS3 some time ago. I then instantly inputted my details and signed in to my PSN profile without realising the console had a whole bunch of trophies on the system (there was no profile on there and the menu appeared to have default settings, so I assumed it was recently reset). The trophies then synced to my profile and destroyed my trophy list - it added about 30 PS3 games that I had no intention of ever playing along with a load of trophies with no timestamps. 

I so WISH I could remove them from my profile permanently but unfortunately this isn't possible. I can hide them yes, but this isn't quite the same.

I am now finding myself forcing myself to play some of the games just to earn the trophies. For example I have 'Dragon's Dogma' on 1%... I have been putting off playing any of them as I already have a backlog on PS4 which I have been prioritising. 

For anyone buying a pre-owned console in the future - be sure to double check these things prior to logging in with your details. I for sure won't make this mistake again :( 

I did consider restarting on a new profile but I feel like I've invested too much time into my currently profile.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

• Like 3

Just now, Jounochi said:

Huh, I was under the impression that save data was deleted along with the profile when it is removed.  I find it very odd that those PS3 games linked to your user unless the previous user was a modder.  Good to know I guess.

I think it was due to the previous user never going online so the trophies never synced. Then I came along and signed in to my PSN profile and inherited their trophy list. Really gutted about it but not the end of the world I guess.

Just now, MohandGamer7 said:

I’m not an expert but having all these games with missing timestamps can get your account flagged and removed from the leaderboard maybe I’m not 100% sure. Maybe earning the trophies again will fix it. Hope nothing go wrong for you 

Oh, really? If that is the case I may just consider restarting on a new profile. I'm not a major trophy collector (56 platinums) so I'm not that high on the leaderboard but would be a shame to get removed because of this issue (particularly when I want the trophies removed :D).

I can't earn the trophies again as they're already unlocked and attached to my profile sadly. I have played through some of the games and even got the platinum on one.

6 minutes ago, Morphiar said:

I think it was due to the previous user never going online so the trophies never synced. Then I came along and signed in to my PSN profile and inherited their trophy list. Really gutted about it but not the end of the world I guess.

Ah, that makes sense.  I think I remember hearing some people on the site do that for games they aren't sure they want on their profile.

That really does suck though since you have all those missing timestamps and games that you wouldn't have played otherwise on your profile.

But you have to make a user nonetheless. Don't get me wrong I understand your situation and it's a shitty one at that but you can't boot up a PS3 without logging into an account, offline or not.

Edit:
Whenever you boot up a PS3, it asks you to choose a user. In this case I guess the previous owner had the automatic login in use and OP did not know about this and signed their PSN to that user. AFAIK You can't use a PS3 without logging into a user on the PS3, just like PS4.

Edited by totallycrushed

Just now, DemonicDraco said:

All a missing timestamp means is psn doesn't know when you earned it. Happens to anyone that earns trophies before signing into psn for the first time. I'd just consider it a bonus if i got some random free trophies with a preowned console...

Thanks - I thought this too as it could have just been my own old PS3 that I forgot about for example.

I guess I should look at it from that positive way instead :)

I am sure I will find the time to one day play them myself! Maybe :D

I know that feeling as that is how it is for 360 as well, when I got a 360 I got the dude who owned it before me lists of achievements and they were games I didn't care for but some I did but this was when I first got a 360 as it was pre owned but yeah. it can be a good thing but at the same time it is not but yeah

13 minutes ago, MohandGamer7 said:

I’m not an expert but having all these games with missing timestamps can get your account flagged and removed from the leaderboard maybe I’m not 100% sure. Maybe earning the trophies again will fix it. Hope nothing go wrong for you 

9 minutes ago, Morphiar said:

Oh, really? If that is the case I may just consider restarting on a new profile. I'm not a major trophy collector (56 platinums) so I'm not that high on the leaderboard but would be a shame to get removed because of this issue (particularly when I want the trophies removed :D).

I can't earn the trophies again as they're already unlocked and attached to my profile sadly. I have played through some of the games and even got the platinum on one.

This is completely false. Having missing timestamps does not get get your account flagged and there is nothing you can do about missing timestamps once they’re synced with PSN. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Morphiar said:

I am now finding myself forcing myself to play some of the games just to earn the trophies. For example I have 'Dragon's Dogma' on 1%... I have been putting off playing any of them as I already have a backlog on PS4 which I have been prioritising. 

Dragon's Dogma is an amazing game (although I played it on PS4). Give it a proper go, it really is excellent. I was kind of put of by the cutesy Japanese "uwu" stuff (I hate manga, anime, Pokémon, etc, it literally makes me cringe) but the game itself, and the story, is top notch.

Haven't had it happen to me, but have definitely heard plenty of stories about it.  Not only should people make sure to remove anything from a previous owner when buying secondhand, but if you sell a console make sure to format it before selling and also remove it from the devices in your PSN account.  I've also heard some horror stories about people failing to remove an account off a console they sold and the new owner goes and uses the account and even buys stuff if there's a card stored.  So many people think if they sell to a secondhand retailer like Gamestop or Amazon that the retailer will do that for them, but they don't because they don't have the time to format every console they get.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Why does it ruin your profile? Are you a completionist? 

Because I have 30 odd games on there from the PS3 that I've never played before with most being less than 10% completed. Also they are trophies I haven't earned myself. Brings my percentage down also and it's ugly to look at :D

On 07/11/2020 at 11:29 PM, baboon_overlord said:

Dragon's Dogma is an amazing game (although I played it on PS4). Give it a proper go, it really is excellent. I was kind of put of by the cutesy Japanese "uwu" stuff (I hate manga, anime, Pokémon, etc, it literally makes me cringe) but the game itself, and the story, is top notch.

Sounds promising then - I will certainly be giving it a go at some stage in the future :)

• Like 1