The tile on here is way bigger than on PS5s

CB7Tuner91

16 minutes ago, VeldinX said:

Oh I see what you mean. That’s just the way the images are presented. They’re the same just shown at different dimensions. So Sony have coded the PS5 to shrink the PS4 images while the PSNP code is telling the images to be a set width (so both PS4 and 5 images are the same width but because PS5 one are square, their height is increased). 

I presume when PS5 lists are shown on a PS3/4/Vita, the images will be shrunk to fit too. 

If thats the case then big oof on Sonys end. They should have done them like they are on here if they wanted to make the change. Whats boggling is if you look at the new PS app. The trophy list from the PS4 almost the same, a bit smaller, but it looks fine. You would think if they were gonna make this change to the tiles it would have been across the board, especially with there new app. But im hoping once the PS5s get out into the wild, that trophy hunters will start hounding them to make this look better and they fix it. ?

Edited by CB7Tuner91

1 hour ago, LordBilbanes said:

The new square game banners for PS 5 games doesn't bother me all that much.  What I do find annoying is how the older platforms look letter boxed in the console UI. 

That's the main problem with this change - either you have to scale down the old banners on the PS5, or scale up the new PS5 square which will make it massive. Either way, it is going to make either the old images, or the new ones, look out of place.

40 minutes ago, VeldinX said:

Oh I see what you mean. That’s just the way the images are presented. They’re the same just shown at different dimensions. So Sony have coded the PS5 to shrink the PS4 images while the PSNP code is telling the images to be a set width (so both PS4 and 5 images are the same width but because PS5 one are square, their height is increased). 

I presume when PS5 lists are shown on a PS3/4/Vita, the images will be shrunk to fit too. 

I don't know what the new images will look like on the older systems - you can't shrink the new square - it would already be smaller in terms of width. Either it will end up the same height as the old rectangular banners and there will be black bars on either side (This would be the vertical equivalent of letterboxing), or they will have to patch the PS3/4/Vita IU to put letter boxes on those icons like the new PS5 interface.

Or it will just be scaled up to fit the space, like what we see on the main page here. I guess we'll find out in a week.

Regardless, I still don't like the new look. I can't imagine anyone was hoping for this change. Seems like most people will either be 'meh, I'll live with it/don't really care' or 'really don't like the change'. I haven't heard anyone yet say 'wow, this looks great'.

2 hours ago, diskdocx said:

That's the main problem with this change - either you have to scale down the old banners on the PS5, or scale up the new PS5 square which will make it massive. Either way, it is going to make either the old images, or the new ones, look out of place.

I don't know what the new images will look like on the older systems - you can't shrink the new square - it would already be smaller in terms of width. Either it will end up the same height as the old rectangular banners and there will be black bars on either side (This would be the vertical equivalent of letterboxing), or they will have to patch the PS3/4/Vita IU to put letter boxes on those icons like the new PS5 interface.

Or it will just be scaled up to fit the space, like what we see on the main page here. I guess we'll find out in a week.

Regardless, I still don't like the new look. I can't imagine anyone was hoping for this change. Seems like most people will either be 'meh, I'll live with it/don't really care' or 'really don't like the change'. I haven't heard anyone yet say 'wow, this looks great'.

Yeah that’s what I meant: shrink the PS5 squares to be the height of the PS4 rectangles with, as you said, black bars either side, however the bars would probably be transparent so you wouldn’t see them. Think of BioShock 1&3 on PS3: A square icon within a rectangle “space”. 

So many crybabies here just because of a “shape”. 

Honestly, this site really needs an overall upgrade. Exophase is doing much better job with their design and even has a game time implemented already. I hoped we would see a new version after PS5 release. 

What a shame. Step up your game. 

1 hour ago, VeldinX said:

Yeah that’s what I meant: shrink the PS5 squares to be the height of the PS4 rectangles with, as you said, black bars either side, however the bars would probably be transparent so you wouldn’t see them. Think of BioShock 1&3 on PS3: A square icon within a rectangle “space”. 

Probably that is the best option. The current one is going to be a mess until Vita and PS4 list stop appearing.

Now that more appreared... it’s bad, it’s really bad :/ Like, I’m not going to have a meltdown over it, but the main reason I’m on this website is to have a neat overview of my gaming history, and my personality just takes this as a hit (I’m collecting stamp sets, book series as well, and I’m almost repulsed by unevenness).

I hope an option for crop / resize is considered by PSNP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lowlliet said:

So many crybabies here just because of a “shape”. 

Honestly, this site really needs an overall upgrade. Exophase is doing much better job with their design and even has a game time implemented already. I hoped we would see a new version after PS5 release. 

What a shame. Step up your game. 

Honestly PSN Profiles looks way way better than Exo IMO. Yes, it's missing some features but is clean looking overall and for me that's a big thumbs up.

• Like 2

I like square, it bigger and showing more of art :) Stop being a crybaby! I hope it stays like this. Sony won't listen to a tiny group of OCD trophy hunters complaining about wrong shape thumbnail when million of players don't care about trophies and new thumbnail.

7 hours ago, Rakurisan said:

I have to agree. It looks much better this way.

https://www.exophase.com/platform/ps5/

It looks a bit broken though in some cases. Like the Astro's Playroom logo has the name of the game missing. What happens when a new PS5 has the entire square used for something, where are you gonna chop off the bits to make it rectangle?

17 hours ago, Richtoon said:

I like square, it bigger and showing more of art :) Stop being a crybaby! I hope it stays like this. Sony won't listen to a tiny group of OCD trophy hunters complaining about wrong shape thumbnail when million of players don't care about trophies and new thumbnail.

Its not that they changed them to a square. Its how they've ruined everything you've played on previous gen. Because they took everything you've played from PS4\PS3 and compressed the images inside that smaller square. It looks cheap and half ass. Hell you can even see the square outline on the PS4\PS3 games. Becauee they were to lazy to even make the extra space translucent. 

i cant believe how much of an issue this is for people. Get over it. Change is fine. The new layouts are cool. I don't mine it. I also don't care. Even if i hated it, you get used to it eventually. 

I've never cared how trophies look. Sure for a bit i wanted A-Z organized on ps4 but really found it pointless as id only wanna look at the most recent games trophies for which i recently played or was playing. 

bunch of whiny bitches 

Edited by LegacyJKO09
  • Like 1

On 09/11/2020 at 10:53 AM, Richtoon said:

Sony won't listen to a tiny group of OCD trophy hunters complaining about wrong shape thumbnail when million of players don't care about trophies and new thumbnail.

Yeah they shouldn't listen to the people that are actually are interested in trophies.....

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

i cant believe how much of an issue this is for people. Get over it. Change is fine. The new layouts are cool. I don't mine it. I also don't care. Even if i hated it, you get used to it eventually. 

I've never cared how trophies look. Sure for a bit i wanted A-Z organized on ps4 but really found it pointless as id only wanna look at the most recent games trophies for which i recently played or was playing. 

bunch of whiny bitches 

Change is fine as long as it's well made and in this case it's not.

As many people already said on this thread, the problem is not really the Square tiles but how old games tiles look on the ps5 trophies UI.

You may not care about those details but that doesn' t mean that other people (even if it's a small group) can't have a say in the matter as long as the problem is "legitimate", all the more reason if that problem concerns trophies, which are why we are on this site in the first place.

You know trophy hunting it's not just numbers for some people? Now you know.

Don't worry we'll get used to it since Sony doesn't care about consumers feedbacks...

(Also I quoted you, but that's my answer for everyone saying this on this thread and in others)

On 08/11/2020 at 1:06 PM, VeldinX said:

Exophase often change the image of Xbox games (because they’re square as well) so these aren’t official. The square one PSNP is using is the one from Sony’s servers and how it’ll be shown on the console.

This is very true for base game lists; if a DLC has a different icon, though, I noticed PSNP always just scans in the same base game icon again. 

It's garbage, as most people here have pointed out already.

I haven't mentioned this much but I tend to skim other peoples trophy lists on this website to find potential games I might be interested in. When I'm skimming through a big profile of 500 - 1000+ games on it I don't want to have to sift through a bunch of big looking square titles that are clearly PS5 games. It doesn't look professional, make those images smaller so they resemble more like actual thumbnails. It doesn't matter to me if they're rectangles or circles, but having those big squares like that just look completely out of place compared to PS3/Vita/PS4 games.

I feel as if Sony is doing everything they can to piss off long time trophy hunters.

• Like 2