PSN Profiles: Please display PS5 games as rectangles

6 minutes ago, Lorajet said:

Just when I thought we had covered all of the inane possibilities for threads, this shows up :facepalm:

Its not inane, clearly enough people are opposed to the change and prefer the way exophase are handling it.

@Beyondthegrave07 That would mean the lists of trophy sets would take up more space on our profiles and on the games list, not to mention it would make the PS4 trophy set images look stretched.

Edited by I-SilentEcho-I
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, I-SilentEcho-I said:

@Beyondthegrave07 That would mean the lists of trophy sets would take up more space on our profiles and on the games list, not to mention it would make the PS4 trophy set images look stretched.

Not really. If he pulls it from the PSN store, everything is square.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Not really. If he pulls it from the PSN store, everything is square.

Okay that could work but what about the lists taking up more space? That'd still be an issue.

EDIT: They take up double the space, and the text has a lot of empty space. I think it looks dreadful without having to rework the text to fit the bigger icons. wouldn't it just be easier to crop it to be rectangle? There's far fewer PS5 games atm to PS4, PS3 and VITA games so it would take a lot more effort to retroactively change all of them instead of just editing the PS5 games.

Edited by I-SilentEcho-I

3 minutes ago, I-SilentEcho-I said:

Okay that could work but what about the lists taking up more space? That'd still be an issue.

Is it really an issue though? I guess I'm just curious if everyone really wants to just stick with rectangles or if their issue revolves around the consistency of it.

The site is about providing a quick, searchable overview of the user’s gaming history - this is undermined the moment when entries are displayed inconsistently, even if it’s just a slight aesthetical / psychological hitch. So yeah, I think it’s quite important to consider coming up with a solution, the shape doesn’t matter - consistency and UX do.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

So, actually there are square-shaped PS4 games, like The Evil Within, you click on the game icon and you see that it has a transparent background. This would be a fix.

I agree, there's actually a lot of lists out there that aren't rectangular. Most if not all lego games are actually circular they just have the background you describe

• Like 1

When I looked on the Games tab on this site today I thought this is some kind of glitch with new ps5 trophy list not properly showing yet but if this is how its going to look then I might as well track my trophy progress on exophase. I vote for the old rectangles or even better if theres an option to switch between rectangles and squares in settings.

• Like 1

The problem is that the official image will still be square. If you apply CSS rules to make the new images the same height as PS4's images but locking the aspect ratio it would look like this:

Spoiler

sUenVVZ.png

Notice how the Borderlands 3 image looks like it could be bigger. The problem is that the actual image is rectangle but resized to square for PS5. If you would change the fit type to cover instead of contain the Borderlands 3 image looks ok but all other images are cropped:

Spoiler

aM11xoL.png

That means someone would need to decide on a per game basis which image should be aspect ratio locked and which shouldn't. Might not be the best solution.

Edited by woggly4
  • Like 2

Just now, woggly4 said:

The problem is that the official image will still be square. If you apply CSS rules to make the new images the same height as PS4's images but locking the aspect ratio it would like this:

Hide contents

sUenVVZ.png

Notice, how the Borderlands 3 image looks like it could be bigger. The problem is that the actual image is rectangle but resized to square for PS5. If you would change the fit type to cover instead of contain the Borderlands 3 image looks ok but all other images are cropped:

Reveal hidden contents

aM11xoL.png

That means someone would need to decide on a per game basis which image should be aspect ratio locked and which shouldn't. Might not be the best solution.

So how come Exophase is able to do it? Not meaning that passive aggressively but as a serious question. Their tiles are rectangular and normal.