World Tendency

Burzzz300

In order to keep a world pure white you can’t die in the world in human form.  To go to pure dark, you have to die multiple times while in human form.  Once you die in human form in a world you will go from 0 to -1.  Once you kill a main boss you go from 0 to +1.  Max is -4 or +4.  The only way to go +1 is to kill a boss or help a friend defeat a boss.  To go from 0 to -1 you have to invade a player or die in human form.  Negative (dark) tendency makes game more difficult and less drops, while positive (lighter) means easier and more drops.

Hope that sums it up ? I got the platinum in this just last year on ps3.  World tendency with shut down servers meant I had to kill all bosses without dying lest I screwed up the world tendency.

Edited by Burzzz300
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Burzzz300 said:

World tendency with shut down servers meant I had to kill all bosses without dying lest I screwed up the world tendency.

You can just play in Soul Form, so your deaths don't shift the tendency towards black. Pretty sure all this info is in the guide and well known at this point.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Helyx said:

You can just play in Soul Form, so your deaths don't shift the tendency towards black. Pretty sure all this info is in the guide and well known at this point.

If you choose to die in the Nexus after every boss kill yes.  You just can’t die in human form in a level.

Each time you kill a boss and turn into human, just kill yourself in the Nexus to get back to soul form and always play as a soul. Dying in the Nexus has no impact on tendency.

I'm going for all 3 stacks platinums on ps3 right now and that's what I'm doing.

Edited by Devil-Danna

Anyone looking for info on World Tendency shouldn’t read the OP as it is more than a bit wrong. Here’s the actual info from probably the best Demon’s Souls wiki.

World Tendency also controls how powerful the enemies are in a given world. In summary:

• Pure White Tendency enemies are easier to kill, but drop fewer, less valuable items and hold the least number of souls. Healing items are dropped more frequently.
  • Pure Black Tendency enemies are tougher, but drop more valuable items in greater abundance. They hold the largest number of souls.

Wiki reference for World Tendency

WT
reference
World Tendency Deaths
in Body Form
+3 Pure White 0
+2 White 1
+1 Neutral 2
0 Neutral 3
-1 Neutral 4
-2 Neutral 5
-3 Black 6
-4 Pure Black 7
  • Like 3

World Tendency was such a pain in the ass in the original, especially when playing online and also trying to fulfill the trophy requirements. From what I remember, it was one of the few things about the game I disliked. I was actually hoping they might abandon that whole system in the remake but I guess they decided to remain as faithful to the original game as possible.

22 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I was actually hoping they might abandon that whole system

It's pretty integral to the overall game. I'm glad they didn't remove it; how else would we fight BP variants of NPCs or do other world events directly related to pure tendency?

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 6:17 PM, Devil-Danna said:

Each time you kill a boss and turn into human, just kill yourself in the Nexus to get back to soul form and always play as a soul. Dying in the Nexus has no impact on tendency.

I'm going for all 3 stacks platinums on ps3 right now and that's what I'm doing.

Can you confirm if dying repeatedly (either as a human or in a soul form) decreases your overall health or has any negative effects similar to Hollowing in DS2? Would like to know what I'm getting into.

2 minutes ago, l33sar54 said:

Can you confirm if dying repeatedly (either as a human or in a soul form) decreases your overall health or has any negative effects similar to Hollowing in DS2? Would like to know what I'm getting into.

In Soul Form, your maximum health is decreased, but can be mostly offset by the Cling Ring. There's no degree of "hollowing" like in Dark Souls.

Dying repeatedly will only effect your World Tendency, and only if you die in Body Form while in one of the five archstones (dying in the Nexus has no effect on WT).

6 minutes ago, Helyx said:

It's pretty integral to the overall game. I'm glad they didn't remove it; how else would we fight BP variants of NPCs or do other world events directly related to pure tendency?

Fair point, although I think the world tendency system was needlessly confusing and the original game did a very poor job explaining this major mechanic or displaying the current WT status in-game which didn’t help things at all. I mean thank god for the wiki or I would have been completely lost!

I think there’s a very good reason the subsequent games abandoned any kind of system resembling world tendency, and so it wouldn’t have been that big a deal if they had removed it and introduced some other way of experiencing those unique events. The remake is supposed to be modernized and the archaic WT might be an aching pain in the balls for some Souls players who never played Demon’s Souls.

2 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I think the world tendency system was needlessly confusing and the original game did a very poor job explaining this major mechanic

Thanks to this, the phrase "git gud" exists. I'm sure you can see why.

2 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Souls players who never played Demon’s Souls.

Do these types of scrubs exist?

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, l33sar54 said:

DS2 takes several deaths until you get to the point where you don't lose anymore max HP, 50%, DeS skips the gradual decrease and goes straight to 50% of maximum after 1 death. Though there is a ring that halves that penalty like in DS2 and DS3.

Soul Form has some positive effects though, you have no footsteps and your armor doesn't clank so your enemy agro range is smaller. You also can't be invaded. Your damage also increases in soul form as the world tendency of an area gets whiter. Deaths in body form in a world blacken the world tendency of that world so that the enemy HP, attack, and defense rises. Though in blacker world tendencies enemies drop more souls and have a higher chance of dropping rare items from their loot tables.

---

Basically, as long as a world has a boss that is alive, it is still possible to get PWWT. As you can shift down to Pure Black World Tendency and do the 2 PBWT events back-to-back, and that will get you within 1 boss kill of Pure White World Tendency. I am hoping they changed it so that doing both PBWT events is enough to shift it direct from PBWT to PWWT. I think that would alleviate 80% of the frustration of trying to get Pure White World Tendency.

Edited by Guardian_owl

World Tendency won't be a problem. You can simply shift towards white because of helping other players with bosses. This was a struggle in the old one because most people played the game when it was abandoned, the matchmaking being far worse and regional server that divided EU, NA and Asia. 

Plenty players now to choose from. You will see more signs on the ground infront of bosses then ever before.

Its actually going to be harder to turn everything pure black since if they removed the dupe glitch you don't have unlimited stones to turn yourselve human again unless they changed the drops for those, so you might be forced to invade to turn it to pure. 

Edited by Bossi15

Thanks for the explanation @Guardian_owl, I think that makes sense to me now.

So as long as you're in the Soul Form, the World Tendency doesn't change with your death, only when you kill bosses? Also, there are some positive and negative side effects associated with the Soul Form such as reduced health, no footsteps, smaller aggro range, and different loot and number of souls. I assume that every time you kill a boss, you go back to Human Form (same as being Kindled in DS after killing a boss) but you can kill yourself in the Nexus without affecting the World Tendency which puts you back in the Soul Form.

• Like 1

I guess being mindful of world tendency will still be important for some of the rings and things like the Istarelle. The fact that Istarelle has a trophy tied to it makes me believe that missing it was quite a common thing to do.

Edited by bikeman223

The concept of World Tendencies is pretty simple, but knowing what items and events are exclusive to what tendency can be kinda confusing. I'm glad that they kept the WTs because it made the levels feel more alive and dynamic. I'm glad that they're changing the UI so you can tell exactly what the WT is in a level. I always found the original game's UI to be confusing. I'd have two different worlds at PBWT, yet one would look slightly more darker than the other because the archstones in the UI would have their own individual lighting depending on how close are far away they are on the picture. Because of that, I'd always mix up the last two BWTs and end up wasting another Stone of Ephemeral Eyes.

2 hours ago, l33sar54 said:

Thanks for the explanation @Guardian_owl, I think that makes sense to me now.

So as long as you're in the Soul Form, the World Tendency doesn't change with your death, only when you kill bosses? Also, there are some positive and negative side effects associated with the Soul Form such as reduced health, no footsteps, smaller aggro range, and different loot and number of souls. I assume that every time you kill a boss, you go back to Human Form (same as being Kindled in DS after killing a boss) but you can kill yourself in the Nexus without affecting the World Tendency which puts you back in the Soul Form.

Right, you can die a billion times in soul form and it won't have an effect on WT, and yes, you do get your soul form back when you kill a boss. You also get your body back when you are summoned as a soul form blue phantom, and are alive when the boss is killed OR when you invade as a soul form black phantom, and kill the host. Unless they change it, you have to be in soul form to be summoned or invade.

9 hours ago, Bossi15 said:

Its actually going to be harder to turn everything pure black since if they removed the dupe glitch you don't have unlimited stones to turn yourselve human again unless they changed the drops for those, so you might be forced to invade to turn it to pure. 

Invading other players wont have any effect on your World Tendency, only Character Tendency.