The endings keep ruining this series.

Has anyone else find that the twist reveals in this series so far have always been lame and underwhelming, and worst of all, completely fearkilling in terms of replays?
It feels to me like they're going for a 'it's never really supernatural' theme overall and it's already getting old. It works okay enough in movies I guess, but the issue is that once you realize that often the characters are only in imagined danger, or that it's just some dumb contrivance instead of a much less understandable (and therefore more intimidating) threat, the plots just don't work nearly as well as horror anymore.

I actually like Little’s Hope twist. At least it isn’t very predictable like Man of Medan’s.

But other than that, I agree. Supermassive Games really need to mix things up for the series.

I suspect that the next game, House of Ashes, would be something like war-related PTSD hallucinations or effects of chemical warfare. Please prove me wrong Supermassive!

1 hour ago, KHDelBoy said:

I actually like Little’s Hope twist. At least it isn’t very predictable like Man of Medan’s.

But other than that, I agree. Supermassive Games really need to mix things up for the series.

I suspect that the next game, House of Ashes, would be something like war-related PTSD hallucinations or effects of chemical warfare. Please prove me wrong Supermassive!

Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing just before I opened this thread!

I swear to God, if they don't handle House of Ashes' story well AND pin all the apparitions or supernatural events on PTSD, I'm gonna lose my shit. You can only twist things by giving it a physically credible explanation so much before it grows very stale and predictable.

This game actually had some spiritual events woven into the story, which is why I prefer this over Man of Medan. One Man of Medan-esque story (and plot twist) was more than enough for this series, I feel.

Edited by JoaLoft

Agreed...tbf though, this is only the second game in the series...while it isn't in the series, Until Dawn did have supernatural elements and it's similar enough to these games that i'd like to think of it as the original game in the Anthology...so i'm fairly certain that Supermassive isn't afraid of incorporating them in...next game looks like vampires or something, so i 'm hoping they do mix it up....

• Like 1

Instinctively I wanted to say "yes", but then again, Until Dawn wasn't much horror in replays, too. I doubt it matters much because you just know the plot, whatever it is. Only the first playthrough really matters story-wise. It would be nice to get monsters or something supernatural, though, for a change. An old Sumerian god - that sounds just like the real deal. I liked Little Hope, did not see it coming unlike in Man of Medan, where they flagged it early.

• Like 1

I think the same. Until Dawn would have been shit if the Wendigo was just an imagination. I realised about 1/2 way through that, once again, the monsters aren't real (about the same time as I did in Man of Medan) and it just killed the game for me. I really hope the next one has actual creature(s).

I want to platinum every game in this series as they come out but these Picasso trophy lists are killing me

I actually loved the ending to Little Hope. Neither me nor my friends could've guessed it or seen it coming.

Man of Medan on the other hand, even the 'best' ending was mediocre at best. The story itself is based off an actual abandoned vessel that has many theories about why its crew were all found dead. I do like that they incorporated seemingly all of them into that game, but the endings were just... bland.

I do hope they veer away from the 'gotcha' twists though. I would've loved if Until Dawn stuck with its "crazed maniac in the woods" trope. Here's hoping the next entry isn't yet another psychologically-centric one.

While I love both Little Hope and Man of Medan, it only really gets boring and less scary after constant subsequent playthroughs. Personally I think they both make for great horror stories. While I do think even if Supermassive Games does go with the psychological horror "none of it is real" thing for House of Ashes, I believe the story would still be great to experience. However, I would have to give them the criticism of "we have seen this before" and ultimately be disappointed with what could have been a purely supernatural, purely slasher, or a blend of any type of horror subgenre with how they've done all three games they have made so far.

I need to correct my earlier statement.

I've been pursuing the platinum trophy these past days, and once I played through the game a second time and found all the collectibles, I suddenly experienced an epiphany, the likes of which I seldom get when I experienced a story for the second time.

There is much more to this tale than Supermassive Games would lead us to believe. These past six hours, I've been pouring all of my findings into one coherent analysis and I'd like to share this with everyone here:

I sincerely hope I'm not the only one who just had his mind blown after realizing what hides beyond the deceitful foggy veil of Little Hope.

• Like 1