Are You Buying Next-Gen OR Skipping it

hlomsa

If 70$ is a lot than you can wait for ''sales'' and get them later, or buy them used for PS5 games. There is many ways and options to get games cheaper, even AAA games if you just search on the gaming market. I had many good deals without spending full price on new games.

And yes, i am buying the PS5. Maybe not on day 1 but sure eventually later.

Edited by TazDevilz1986

2 hours ago, DividedByMankind said:

And what bugs are people on about here?  Ive had ps4 and ps3 on day one. Never experienced any such. I still have my day 1 ps4 and day one ps3. And their still running smoooth. And i play a lot ?

A main one which I thought was well known, was the massive issue with the phat Ps3 and the YLOD. Congrats if you still have your phat Ps3 working thou, you’d be a small group that could boast that. 

Edited by black__bunny

don't know how people can think gaming is getting boring when bugsnax exists

/s

Yes, I have my PS5 digital edition pre-ordered and should be arriving on launch day. The technical improvements being shown in Miles Morales and Astro's Playroom are incredible. Loading speed, graphics quality, audio quality, haptics in the controller... That is why I'm excited for it.

The price of games going up has been inevitable for a long time. Besides, here in Canada the price ALREADY jumped from $60 to $70 to $80 around 2015/2016, and now it will be $90. I have also paid $120 to import a Japanese game (not gonna do that anymore).

How did I deal with it?

1. I have a decent job

2. I wait for sales, unless it's something I am SUPER hyped for

3. I don't spend money on other frivolous things like expensive clothes, makeup, jewelry, random junk, restaurant food.

Manage your budget. If gaming is becoming too expensive for you, you need to accept that it's a luxury hobby and you won't be able to buy every game you want at launch.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hlomsa said:

Personally, I feel like Gaming has just become boring

There aren't many games that do anything new (especially in those 'AAA' one's)

Let's be honest for a sec

Nowadays games are 70+dollars and I do not understand how people accept to be charged such a high amount not understanding just how much of a Ripoff that is. I know most will say ''Games are expensive to make'' which is complete BS when looking at the money those companies make and pay they're CEO's, Shareholders etc while DEVs are paid PEANUTS 

I've been gaming for over 20 years now, so I think that If I was going to stop, I would have stopped a looong time ago. I think quite a bit goes into the pricing of a game and the reasoning behind why AAA games have increased over time. It is frustrating but it's also a business which by definition is there to make money. I'm not sure why you connected a game being expensive to make with the CEO - Employee pay gap you referenced though, they are both different things. Fixing pay gaps wouldn't necessarily fix the price of games, it would make the workers happier though.

You mentioned that most people will say that games are expensive to make - but they objectively are extremely expensive to make. They match and often exceed the budgets of most contemporary movies. Read Dead Redemption 2 reportedly matched or exceeded the production budget of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. There are quite a few movie industry parallels to draw there. A 70 dollar price tag or incremental price hikes on brand new games is going to happen more and more for newer releases. Companies want to make profit vs. production cost and they want to capitalise on the 'new release' factor.

You aren't bound to spending max-price on games at all though. There is near endless gaming choice at decent prices out there, some of the best gaming experiences around in fact - you just need to actually look for them :) 

• Like 3

I am. I have literally hundreds of PS4 games in my backlog (and still hundreds more I want to buy) and I play on a PS4 Slim. Would rather play those games on the PS5 with better performance and access to PS4 Pro modes in games that have them available. I am also happy with the launch lineup so that extra motivated me to get one.

And yeah games going up to $70 sucks but I don't buy very many games brand new anyway so it's not too big a deal for me personally. Games drop in price stupidly fast, especially physical games thanks to ridiculous clearance deals at places like walmart/target and obviously used games. I just wait until I see a good deal on something I want to play and get it, I am in no rush for 99% of games.

I bought every generation PlayStation eventually. Never had the chance to get it on release (or too young) and always waited for more games to come. 

This time I'd really love the console as fast as possible. Just because of the faster loading times and have the money aside for it. Oh and Demon's Souls. 

I used to think that games were way too expensive too. And often got this "seen this, done that, same old, same old". But this year (maybe because of lockdown and I started to hunt trophies too) I've been having a blast. Bought several games on release and no regret to have paid full price. Deals are actually more dangerous for me, because I quickly create a huge backlog of games. 

TDLR: If I can get my hands on a PS5 I'd be really happy. Don't care about prices, since I'm selective enough at the momement. I'm definitely all for the faster load times, graphical upgrades, new controller and better cooling. 

Edited by WhisperingDusk

2 hours ago, hlomsa said:

Nowadays games are 70+dollars and I do not understand how people accept to be charged such a high amount not understanding just how much of a Ripoff that is.

Personally i still dont think thats bad pricing with hours, and hours of enjoyment. Just depends if its affordable for you. 

My other hobby is watching football. Some games you can pay nearlly 50 pound for 90 minutes wether you enjoy it or not. Another example is sky tv (cable for you american friends) costs me 80 pound a month and i rarly use it lol

So its about putting it into persective. Also games will inevatably drop in price so it dosnt need to be a mega expensive hobby if your patient enough

Edited by dannyswfc9

I definitely suggest a new hobby if it’s boring and too expensive. Curious what hobbies you’d get into next that aren’t expensive.

I have 2 other hobbies. They both involve my 2014 Camaro SS 1LE. The exhaust was over $1,000. The headers was another $1,000. The air intake was $400. Tuning the computer was $200. Lowering it 1.5” was $200. The alarm with several options was $800 installed. I have a stage 3 camshaft waiting to be installed that was $400 and still need more parts. The 3 different stereo systems has easily totaled $3,500. With the newest amp being $600 for a refurbished Rockford T1500, $400 for a rebuilt Sundown Audio X15 and $300 for the birch wood double baffled custom box in the back seat. I’m not even done and in just over 5 years that’s over $6,000 in just my car and doesn’t even include maintenance and tools bought. Let’s not forget the car itself is a descent chunk of change. 

Then there’s also my gaming PC. ? People love talking about how cheap games are on PC if you wait, but man the graphics cards are expensive just for a mid tier one and a good monitor is expensive compared to TV’s. 

Point being hobbies tend to be super expensive. But, if you don’t enjoy your hobby, you probably shouldn’t invest in it. Because why invest in something that doesn’t make you happy? Because that’s the point of a hobby. My car makes me super happy as well as console and PC gaming. 

And yes I’m getting a PS5 just not at launch. There’s really no rush. Still lots of PS4 and PSVR games to play. I’m also still playing games on my fat PS3 and I still use PS Vita during the week at work. At 41 I’m not done gaming and never plan to be. 

Edited by I-Reaped-U
  • Like 3

Definitely buying Next Gen...just not now.

Im waiting for all the bugs to be worked out...all the first-day fads to go away...and the price to drop. Stocked up on PS4 titles because I can get them for 1/3 to 1/10th the price. Also waiting for the Devs to get used to their kits and when they're able to put more focus into new Gen and not have to split focus into double generations on top of new kits, new porting problems and new and unrealistic time frames from management. Release titles will also be cut in price over time.

Other than that...pretty exited about this generation overall...especially since it seems like MSoft understands that they actually have to grow up and compete and not just rely on yelling excitedly at conferences, carting out                           "gamer"                                     celebrities (sure), strobe lights and sub drops after the trouncing they got from Sony and Nintendo. Competition makes everything more advantageous on the consumer side.

The only games I personally pay full price for are the ones from developers I trust...so this works out really well for someone like me. Everything else gets put on the "I'll check the reviews two weeks after release and then wait 6 months for any trojan horses" list.

Not until late 2021-mid 2022 at the earliest because i just dont have the money at the moment, i just had to deal with the headache that was hurricane zeta (as well as having to evacuate from 4 other storms over the course of 2 months) so the last thing on my mind is getting a new console when i have a sizable enough backlog to last me until 2024.

22 minutes ago, I-Reaped-U said:

I definitely suggest a new hobby if it’s boring and too expensive. Curious what hobbies you’d get into next that aren’t expensive.

I have 2 other hobbies. They both involve my 2014 Camaro SS 1LE. The exhaust was over $1,000. The headers was another $1,000. The air intake was $400. Tuning the computer was $200. Lowering it 1.5” was $200. The alarm with several options was $800 installed. I have a stage 3 camshaft waiting to be installed that was $400 and still need more parts. The 3 different stereo systems has easily totaled $3,500. With the newest amp being $600 for a refurbished Rockford T1500, $400 for a rebuilt Sundown Audio X15 and $300 for the birch wood double baffled custom box in the back seat. I’m not even done and in just over 5 years that’s over $6,000 in just my car and doesn’t even include maintenance and tools bought. Let’s not forget the car itself is a descent chunk of change. 

Then there’s also my gaming PC. 1f643.png People love talking about how cheap games are on PC if you wait, but man the graphics cards are expensive just for a mid tier one and a good monitor is expensive compared to TV’s. 

Point being hobbies tend to be super expensive. But, if you don’t enjoy your hobby, you probably shouldn’t invest in it. Because why invest in something that doesn’t make you happy? Because that’s the point of a hobby. My car makes me super happy as well as console and PC gaming. 

And yes I’m getting a PS5 just not at launch. There’s really no rush. Still lots of PS4 and PSVR games to play. I’m also still playing games on my fat PS3 and I still use PS Vita during the week at work. At 41 I’m not done gaming and never plan to be. 

This. I'm 42 and the man knows what he says. My hobbies have to do with musical instruments. I have a 2,500.00 Electric Upright bass and every Helicore string change is 100.00+...and its played through my 1,000.00 head and my 1,400.00 cabinet. Don't get me started on my mics, guitars, and other basses.

My other hobby is an all original 1955 Custom Classic car. As far as hobbies...gaming costs are super low.

Not skipping but I'm not bothered about getting one right now. Will wait and see what flaws it has and buy a better model.. PS3 first models, defective. PS4 first models riddled with issues and defective pads (grips/triggers) PS4 Pro loud AF! Does anyone remember that it took Sony nearly 2 years to get messages working on PS4. So yea buying at launch has never been good for me. Might buy one when next GOW comes out, get a special edition one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peffsi said:

don't know how people can think gaming is getting boring when bugsnax exists

/s

Yes, I have my PS5 digital edition pre-ordered and should be arriving on launch day. The technical improvements being shown in Miles Morales and Astro's Playroom are incredible. Loading speed, graphics quality, audio quality, haptics in the controller... That is why I'm excited for it.

The price of games going up has been inevitable for a long time. Besides, here in Canada the price ALREADY jumped from $60 to $70 to $80 around 2015/2016, and now it will be $90. I have also paid $120 to import a Japanese game (not gonna do that anymore).

How did I deal with it?

1. I have a decent job

2. I wait for sales, unless it's something I am SUPER hyped for

3. I don't spend money on other frivolous things like expensive clothes, makeup, jewelry, random junk, restaurant food.

Manage your budget. If gaming is becoming too expensive for you, you need to accept that it's a luxury hobby and you won't be able to buy every game you want at launch.

Couldn't have said it better myself! I'm honestly baffled how people are saying it's too expensive when no. 1 if you have a job you should be able to afford it (unless you use your paycheck on other expenses). And no. 2 it's not like you're gonna buy every new game that comes out, only the games you're interested in.