Are You Buying Next-Gen OR Skipping it

hlomsa

For now I have no interest in buying the PS5. Not just I don't got the money or the time, but my backlog of games is immense. Heck there are PS3 games that I still want to play. I actually want to give up on gaming once I reach 100 Platinum. Will see.

Edited by Pershing24

Nobody here is outright skipping. You may wait a few years at most but y'all are gonna get on board with a PS5 (you're not going to miss out on the awesome exclusives)/ Series X (Game Pass is a sweet deal if you're fine with renting digital copies and didn't buy many games this gen) eventually. Unless of course you're planning to switch to PC entirely in which case... bye? 

Edited by Stan Lee

Yes, I am buying next gen day one...I’m excited to delve into Demon’s Souls for the first time ever. 

And if you think gaming has become boring, you should probably find a new outlet or find better games to play...just a thought. The $70 price tag shouldn’t upset you too much either as you can always buy preowned games and/or wait for the hundreds of deals that have yet to go live in the PlayStation store in the coming months. I personally think it makes sense due to the hardware capabilities of the new PlayStation and Xbox, even if I’m not too keen on spending 10 extra dollars + tax where it applies.

I have no intention of buying next-gen for at least a few years. There are enough games in my PS4 backlog to keep me busy for years and as much as I'd like to play Demon's Souls, there's no way one game can convince me to buy a new console. I plan to pick up a Switch next and I'm sure the exclusives on that will also keep me busy for quite some time.

Also, have you tried branching out to different genres? Most of the games on your list are just shooters. Try playing something different like an action RPG or a fighting game and see if you enjoy those. 

boutta wait a minute to upgrade to the PS5 but it's definitely on my list for the next 5-6 months.

if gaming gets boring switch to movies and shows for a little while. you'll start to miss the interactive nature of games and will jump right back into them with admiration and adoration. or play hella indies, they're so unique and fresh all the time. Gotta love em

I can't say I've been very excited for next gen, I haven't felt so disinterested in the new consoles since just before the Xbox 360 and PS3 came out. I got a PS3 back in 2008, when it was a more reasonable price and had enough games I was interested in getting the system for. Didn't get a 360 till 2011-2012, and only really got it for the few exclusives I had always wanted to try. Got both the PS4 and Xbox One at launch, and have barely touched my X1 and didn't play my PS4 a ton till 2015 or so when it had more games, and I imagine it'll be the same for PS5/Series X if I were to get those at launch.

I imagine I'll likely get the PS5 (and Series X) in 2022-2023, the only game that's exclusive at launch I'm interested in is Demon's Souls, but I've already played the original, and I'm in no rush. Rather wait and see if there's any kinks in the launch consoles anyway, I've been burned by some launch consoles before; never had one die on me but have had issues with some.

Think I've mentioned this before in previous posts, but I also just don't have the room for new consoles right now anyway. I'll likely retire my PS4 and Xbox One into storage anyhow when I get the new consoles (so nice to actually be able to do this, hate still having to have my PS3 and PS2 hooked up), depending on how good backwards compatibility is overall for PS4 on PS5, but I just don't really feel any urgency to jump onto next gen any time too soon. I could just skip this gen with how many games are in my backlog (literally over a thousand), but I know I'm too greedy to do that. My main goal for the next 2-3 years is to try and finally finish my PS3 backlog, then replace it with the PS5.

• Like 2

About the game prices. Back in 1992 I remember every new SNES game cost 699 SEK ($81). That means that todays game would have to cost 1023 SEK ($118) to stay at the same price.

When I check PS5 prices they seems to cost 799 SEK ($92)

So has the prices gone up? Between PS4 and PS5 yes, but if you go a little further back they hasnt really.

• Like 3

Definitely planning on making the jump to PS5 eventually. But probably not until around 2022. I got both my PS4's on sale at eBay, so I'll be looking for a similar deal for a PS5 eventually (new system, disc based, under $400). 

As for games...I've honestly enjoyed gaming MORE, in my adult life these last 2 generations then I ever did as a kid, and I've been gaming for over 30 years. Yeah a lot of AAA games tend to borrow features from one another, so it ends up feeling like things blend together...but...that doesn't really bother me. I tend to look at HOW these devs are implementing these borrowed features based on their games direction and most of these big titles have been grand slams for me. 

However, I am in the camp of gaming getting too expensive...though I've been saying this since Gen 7 started and games jumped to $60...now they're even more expensive. Which is why I haven't purchased a game at full price since 2012 (I actually went through my purchase histories recently...last game I bought at full price was DBZ: Ultimate Tenkaichi. What a waste of money that was!). It's a solution, and paying what I feel is right for any given game makes me feel better about the money I'm spending...but sometimes I really hate having to wait. There's franchises and developers I'd love to support all the way...but I just can't support the full price model. I'm a cheapskate...I'm able to admit this, I'll stretch a dollar as far as I possibly can before it rips. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2