Are You Buying Next-Gen OR Skipping it

hlomsa

I actually have not fully decided yet. For me to buy a PS5 there are some things that must have happened by the time I decide to spend that kind of money for it.

1. There must be a PS5 Pro. I will not buy a base version of a Playstation console anymore after this generation, as this leads to quite a few problems with performance, especially with games from lazy devs and demanding games on the end of the console generation that try to get the most out of the pro versions. If it becomes clear that there will be no pro version in a few years, then I might as well skip it entirely by that point, thousands of games to choose from on PS4 after all.

2. There need to be plenty of games to actually make getting such an expensive new console, and a new TV, worthwhile. I will not invest that kind of money to then play old games, as I can do that on my Ps4 just fine if I want trophies, or on my still perfectly working PS1-PS2 consoles if I just want to play the games. Currently, the PS5 line up is rather weak, but theres still a few years to build that up.

3. Sony needs to stop shitting the bed. Recently I have seen way too many things about Sony that pissed me off, even if I was not affected myself most of the time, it definitely adds up. This goes for the gaming industry in general, if that keeps getting worse then my days of paying for gaming are over alltogether, as I have the knowledge to sail the seas and get my hands on most games on PC for free.

4. Anti consumer behavior with the PS4. If they threaten to do to the PS4 what they did with the PS3, and I have not yet bought a PS5 at that point, I will probably just cut my losses with this company out of spite and go back to PC for good.

What they have going for them is still having the option to go physical. The last few months have turned me off a lot from digital only, and I can't see myself ever buying a digital only console, especially not from Sony. I had the policy of only buying physical for great games I really wanted on my shelf, though I will buy more physical games in future, even at considerably higher prices.

• Like 2

I'm still playing on my PS3, skipped the PS4 cause they never offered a 4K bluray drive and none of the games were a must buy for me. Was just going to get a PS4 when it hit like $100-$150 at a Bookoff (a pre-owned store) 

Then found out that the PS5 has backwards compatibility of the games I wanted to buy on the PS4. 

So it works out perfect for me. 

I get a PS5 with a bluray 4K drive and a console that doesn't sound like a F16 fighter jet.

I'm also waiting for that Hogwarts game..

I've preordered one so should be getting it on release day. To be honest if my partner didn't want one so much I probably would have waited as I don't find myself playing games as much as I used to any more. But I'm excited to see it's new capabilities and how it improves and affects your gameplay experience, especially regarding the controller. I can't wait to see with my own eyes if these load times really are nothing but a blip now, ahh *dreams* 

I do agree games are expensive but that's nothing new, you can go out for dinner or a night out and spend upwards of £50 easy. I'd say the amount of hours of entertainment and enjoyment you get from a video game makes the price worth it. Plus I'm always one for buying a physical copy and then just selling it when I'm finished, so that helps ?

When it really comes down to it I prefer PC gaming above all else.

PC gaming has always seamlessly transitioned generation after generation without making a big stink about it. Every other jackass on YouTube right now is posting shit about their PS5 breaking, complaining that they cannot preorder their console, complaining that their console will not arrive in time, complaining that they have to transfer stuff from their old PS4 over to their new PS5, etc etc etc etc.

In the nearly 30 years I've been playing video games, PC gaming has basically taken a more relaxed stance on an upcoming generation of games. Every console generation brings a massive stink with it, games aren't quite up to the standards people want. This same shit happened back in 2013 when Knack and Killzone: Shadowfall came out, people thought they were disappointing and moved on to other stuff. What I see so far is basically remasters of games we already got on the PS4, that are now playable in 4K, 60 FPS on the PS5. That's nice, that's great, but I want something new.

For the most part, in the 10 years I've used Steam people on there tend to be a little more laid back. Consoles have always attracted the mob mentality, this dates far back to the SEGA/Nintendo rivalry heydays. SEGA does what Nintendont. Console wars were always pointless.

The problem now is Sony doesn't have a valid competitor. Microsoft lost a lot of their fanbase after the Xbox One fiasco bullshit, people saw that the PS4 offered a better selection of exclusives with a subscription service to play online that was decent. Now I feel that Sony is making a truckload of stupid decisions, it's chaos right now with everybody and their mother chalking up a preorder for the PS5. I've been on several websites today and the PS5 is sold out on all of them.

The way I see it, it's the games that define a generation, not the consoles. If the games deliver as Bloodborne and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt did, then I will be satisfied. Otherwise I will give up consoles and stick strictly to PC gaming, which has yet to disappoint me in all these years that I've played games on a PC.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

I won't skip this generation, but it'll certainly take a few years until I throw out money for new boxes. There is simply no reason to do otherwise. Both Series X and PS5 have a very poor launch line-up. Literally nothing interesting for me. The mandatory games for me - God of War, Horizon 2, Gran Turismo 7, and the new Forza - don't even have a release window yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, R4M_Jolly_Monk said:

I won't skip this generation, but it'll certainly take a few years until I throw out money for new boxes. There is simply no reason to do otherwise. Both Series X and PS5 have a very poor launch line-up. Literally nothing interesting for me. The mandatory games for me - God of War, Horizon 2, Gran Turismo 7, and the new Forza - don't even have a release window yet.

Excellent observation. I'm basically the same.

16 hours ago, R4M_Jolly_Monk said:

Just wanted to let you know.. a few days ago, there was a new PS5 ad that confirmed GT7 (along with Ratchet and Returnal) is targeting first half of 2021, while Horizon is targeting second half of 2021. God of War also has a "2021" release window.

The prevailing sentiment is that this is PlayStation's best launch lineup ever, and if all these 2021 games hit their release targets, it could be the best launch year. Depends on your tastes though.

Edited by peffsi

31 minutes ago, peffsi said:

Just wanted to let you know.. a few days ago, there was a new PS5 ad that confirmed GT7 (along with Ratchet and Returnal) is targeting first half of 2021, while Horizon is targeting second half of 2021. God of War also has a "2021" release window.

The prevailing sentiment is that this is PlayStation's best launch lineup ever, and if all these 2021 games hit their release targets, it could be the best launch year. Depends on your tastes though.

The prevailing sentiment? Who gives a shit? I care solely about MY opinion. And MY opinion is that the lauch games are completely irrelevant to me. Besides of the common knowledge that games come out has half-baked, unfinished and buggy products and the usual technical issues of the first production lines of consoles.

By the way: 2021 is not a release window.