Best Stories in Gaming

MennoWoods2

I was thinking about picking up some new games and I really wanted to play a game with a really good story.

So, I was wondering what you guys think are some of the best stories in gaming? The stories that stayed with you long after the credits had roll.

These were some of my favorites over the last years:

- Red Dead Redemption 2

- Call of Duty Modern Warfare series

- Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

- Detroit: Become Human

- Judgment/Yakuza series

- SOMA

- Amnesia: The Dark Descent

- Life is Strange

• Like 2

Child of Light was good as far as "Indie" games.

Ghost of Tsushima as far as recent AAA. Also God of War if you like Norse Mythology.

The Last of Us as far as last gen AAA. Bioshock had a memorable story as well.

Final Fantasy VII, VI, IX, X all have great stories as far as modern classics.

E.T. for Atari as far as nothing because this game still sucks in every conceivable way known and unknown to mankind.

This is kind of a hard question because it all hinges on knowledge, perspective and frame of mind and will undoubtedly trigger a massive flame war at some point that will most likely bring the death of us all. So there's that.

• Like 1

You completed "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune", which is by far my favorite plot.  What other game ties up an entire story with a single line?  

Spoiler

Nathan Drake: It's the Spaniards, Sully. They never left.

That one quote is burned into my brain and warranted first place in my trophy cabinet.

My second favorite story is the first "Valkyria Chronicles".  Didn't have trophies when I played it on PS3 so it's not in my cabinet (though it was the first game to make me tear up).  Unlike the rest of the series, I thought the story was profoundly solid until the final few seconds when ...

Spoiler

... they friggin' jump onto a passing plane.  That's the best escape they could muster?!?  Might as well have been flying over a jumping shark at the same time ...

... so if you're okay with anime, my vote is for Valkyria Chronicles.

Edited by pogo_loco
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Shua_J said:

Child of Light was good as far as "Indie" games.

Ghost of Tsushima as far as recent AAA. Also God of War if you like Norse Mythology.

The Last of Us as far as last gen AAA. Bioshock had a memorable story as well.

Final Fantasy VII, VI, IX, X all have great stories as far as modern classics.

E.T. for Atari as far as nothing because this game still sucks in every conceivable way known and unknown to mankind.

This is kind of a hard question because it all hinges on knowledge, perspective and frame of mind and will undoubtedly trigger a massive flame war at some point that will most likely bring the death of us all. So there's that.

I totally forgot about The Last of Us but it was indeed a really great game especially the ending was great.

Definitely going to try God Of War when the PS5 comes out. Probably going to play Bioshock soon and will probably get Ghost of Tsushima when it gets a little cheaper.

I also wanted to try Final Fantasy but I didn't really know where to start since there are so many games in that series already.

Child of Light also looks very interesting definitely going to try it out next time it gets on sale. 

9 hours ago, pogo_loco said:

You completed "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune", which is by far my favorite plot.  What other game ties up an entire story with a single line?  

Reveal hidden contents

Nathan Drake: It's the Spaniards, Sully. They never left.

That one quote is burned into my brain and warranted first place in my trophy cabinet.

My second favorite story is the first "Valkyria Chronicles".  Didn't have trophies when I played it on PS3 so it's not in my cabinet (though it was the first game to make me tear up).  Unlike the rest of the series, I thought the story was profoundly solid until the final few seconds when ...

Reveal hidden contents

... they friggin' jump onto a passing plane.  That's the best escape they could muster?!?  Might as well have been flying over a jumping shark at the same time ...

... so if you're okay with anime, my vote is for Valkyria Chronicles.

Uncharted is definitely amazing I should really get that one another go on playstation 4 or 5. 

Valkyria Chronicles looks really cool but I have never really tried a  JRPG (only Pokemon) but maybe this would be a good introduction to the genre especially if it has a story as good. 

I also forgot to mention The Witcher 3 which is my favorite game of all time. 

Thanks for the replies :-)

Forgot to pst this yesterday, but generally speaking most JRPGs have excellent storytelling, seeing as how that's what the genre is known for. I second the above post for Valkyria Chronicles, and if you do decide to take a dip into more JRPGs, here is a few I would recommend:

• The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (Trails series in general)
  • Personas 3,4,5 (don't necessarily have to play these in order)
  • Tales of Berseria
  • Nier Automata

I'll add in more when I can, but this will should hopefully suffice for now.

• Like 2

So many good games mentioned....Tales of Berseria, Nier Automota, Persona Series, Life is Strange. 

I would add Death Stranding, Kingdom Hearts. 

A few of my personal favorites would also be FFXV & FF7R.

And most JRPG's, Crystar & Nino Kuni 2 stand out for me.

Don't forget visual novels:

Steins;Gate Elite

Chaos;Child

Clannad

The House in Fata Morgana

I'm sure I will have more to add. Hope that helps.

Edited by sunnydaleAlumni
forgot to say...
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Whitelightnin683 said:

Forgot to pst this yesterday, but generally speaking most JRPGs have excellent storytelling, seeing as how that's what the genre is known for. I second the above post for Valkyria Chronicles, and if you do decide to take a dip into more JRPGs, here is a few I would recommend:

• The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (Trails series in general)
  • Personas 3,4,5 (don't necessarily have to play these in order)
  • Tales of Berseria
  • Nier Automata

I'll add in more when I can, but this will should hopefully suffice for now.

Yes I think I will definitely try some of these in the future especially if they all have good stories.

I always hear good stories about the Nier & Persona series. Probably going to start with Persona 5 seeing that it is going to be on the PS Plus Collection.

10 hours ago, sunnydaleAlumni said:

So many good games mentioned....Tales of Berseria, Nier Automota, Persona Series, Life is Strange. 

I would add Death Stranding, Kingdom Hearts. 

A few of my personal favorites would also be FFXV & FF7R.

And most JRPG's, Crystar & Nino Kuni 2 stand out for me.

Don't forget visual novels:

Steins;Gate Elite

Chaos;Child

Clannad

The House in Fata Morgana

I'm sure I will have more to add. Hope that helps.

I always wanted to start the Kingdom Hearts series but I don't really know where to begin since there are so many versions and I heard that the story is really complex especially if you haven't started at the first game. 

Probably going to jump into Death Stranding & The Final Fantasy series at some point in the future. 

I also never really played a visual novel but I did some research and it looks like something I would find really enjoyable. (especially since I really like games like Life is Strange and just simple point-and-click games )

Thanks for both your responses. You guys are great! :-)

• Like 1

Metal Gear Solid. You know I had to.

It's an anti-war story full of politics and crazy twists, but it also explores the "Gene" theme pretty well. Does your DNA define you? Do you need to know your parents to know who you are? Etc. Every character's story has someting to do with genes or family. The entire main cast gets character developement, and you get a satisfying (although a little too melodramatic) ending when you see how they've changed. 

Definitely will second the above recommendation of the Trails games, but if one has a PSP and access to the Legend of Heroes games on there I'd also add Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion and Song of the Ocean to that.  It's a shame they were physical only though and are pretty hard to find now though.

Other JRPGs:

-Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana

-Tales of Hearts R

-NieR

-The Witch and the Hundred Knight

-The Alliance Alive

-Legend of the Tetrarchs

-Monochrome Order

-The Arc the Lad series (the first one is kind of meh, but playing it does make the second better, it's short at least)

Visual Novels:

-Raging Loop

-Code: Realize Guardian of Rebirth

-Spirit Hunter: Death Mark

-Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly and Ashen Hawk

Other stuff (not really VNs, but similar)

-The Danganronpa series

-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

For me, I pretty much included mostly the games that totally sucked me in and got me playing for hours on end without it feeling like that much time passed because I was enjoying them so much.  I could go on for a lot longer with games that I enjoyed the stories of but really just covered my favorites overall.

Probably someone already say this but I would like to mention games like Suikoden 1 and 2, splendid games and story. Also a game from outside playstation boundary like Baten Kaitos is also a great example of a great story.

Also games like: Persona games, trails serie, visual novels like Steins;Gate...

Edited by AlchemistWer

I find the JRPGs, drama adventure games and otome games/visual novels have great stories. Out of the games I've played, great stories are...

JRPG

The Tales games, specifically The Abyss, Vesperia, Graces F, Xillia 1 and 2, Symphonia and Berseria. 

FF games, namely FFX, FF13 series (in my opinion anyways), FFVII and to some degree FFXII TZA. FF3 and 4 were good too, but a bit dated now, same with 8 and 9. 

Persona 4 Golden and 5 Royal edition

Kingdom Hearts series, these need to be played in order and the story is all connected. KH1.5 +2.5, 2.8 and 3 on PS4 have everything. 

VNs

Code Realise (there's 3 games, on ps4)

Psycho Pass Mandatory Happiness 

Pio Fiore no Bansho (only on switch in english, japanese on vita)

Collar x Malice 

Steins Gate Elite and Steins Gate Zero

Drama/adventure

Detroit Become Human

Beyond two souls

Heavy Rain

Life is strange 1 and Before the storm (2 isn't as good imo)

• Like 1

You all already listed pretty much all I was thinking as far as great storylines in games goes.

The one missing here that really stuck with me throughout the years is the Zero Escape Trilogy (999, Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma). I still think about these games a lot (even played them again on ps4 to add the plats to the collection).

The main dude behind these games, Uchikoshi, made a lot of crazy VN other the years. Ever17, Remember11 and AI the somnium files (released last year). Anyone who is into VNs should really try them.