Will servers be discontinued?

uduc2late

Hey all, I personally am not purchasing the Ps5, not anytime soon anyway?. But I was wondering if when it is released, will ps3 network and game servers just stop? I know that ps4 will stay strong for a few more years anyway but I have a lot of ps3 backlog and was wondering if it might be impossible to do when Ps5 comes out. Thank you in advance! 

• Like 1

Online servers may stop making impossible to get online trophies but I strongly believe that the trophy system itself will be active 

for the simple fact that sony loses more money closing it than leaving it open. 

And this is my PS3 acc so I hope they stay calm haahaha

• Like 4

I was once reading an article by someone who understands the subject (this has been a long time, I can't find a source) and according to they said, it would be impossible to close the ps3 server separately, because even the psp still has psn support. all psn systems are bundled, it is very unlikely that something like this will happen as it would affect all other consoles. something like that would only be possible with the creation of another network, ps5 would be an opportunity for that but sony will not do it. however, nothing prevents sony from discontinuing various services and functions, as it has been in the past few months (messages between console/app/website disabled; it is no longer possible to see friends playing or online on ps3 or vita after the last update for ps4 etc).

1 hour ago, uduc2late said:

Hey all, I personally am not purchasing the Ps5, not anytime soon anyway1f602.png. But I was wondering if when it is released, will ps3 network and game servers just stop? I know that ps4 will stay strong for a few more years anyway but I have a lot of ps3 backlog and was wondering if it might be impossible to do when Ps5 comes out. Thank you in advance! 

sony i think said years ago they would end the ps3 support in 2020 but i think they already did that when they abandoned the ps3 store and stopped updating it doing deals and ps plus games.

a important thing to note is sony doesnt usegame servers unless its for their own games they make. sony is the network. the game itself those servers are decided by the gaming company. a game company will usually put many games on the same server. if "maintence" becomes to costly they end the servers. (not sure what this maintence is they never explain it but always use it as the main excuse lol). but if the game is set up to have p2p server then your running the server yourself off your own internet connection and has more of a chance of staying open

now on the other hand ps3 could just shut down their network and kill the entire thing. but that prob depends on how much money they make off ps3 still. people still buy games in the store and dlc. but, sony also wants to push ps now after buying that huge cloud service so i wouldnt doubt they would totally kill off the ps3 in order to shift making more money on ps4 and ps5 if they can.

so those are all things to consider. im not a expert on servers so take what i say lightly, someone else could prob fix some of my knowledge errors.

imo i think theyll stay up for a bit longer but who knows. they also gave us a trophy system we didnt ask for out of the blue so anything can happen

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

While that's true, I hope the servers as far as syncing trophies stay up a long while longer. I like the option to play on all consoles, not just one or even two.

Pretty much my stance on it. I can't imagine the trophy system on PS3 being that much of a burden for Sony to shoulder, and it keeps the PS3 as a viable option for gamers without Sony needing to do a whole lot. But then again, Sony might see it as an unnecessary loose-end and think that PS3 titles could be migrated to PS Now, as they're clearly trying to make it a success. Killing local trophy support for the PS3 and tying it to PS Now would definitely tie that loose-end right up, because I know for a fact that I would only boot up my PS3 these days if I'm trophy hunting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DreadNic said:

I was once reading an article by someone who understands the subject (this has been a long time, I can't find a source) and according to they said, it would be impossible to close the ps3 server separately, because even the psp still has psn support. all psn systems are bundled, it is very unlikely that something like this will happen as it would affect all other consoles. something like that would only be possible with the creation of another network, ps5 would be an opportunity for that but sony will not do it. however, nothing prevents sony from discontinuing various services and functions, as it has been in the past few months (messages between console/app/website disabled; it is no longer possible to see friends playing or online on ps3 or vita after the last update for ps4 etc).

I've heard about this before as well, and it does make sense, given that whenever PSN is down or having issues, it almost always affects every console. The new trophy leveling system was also applied to all consoles. Nintendo has a different network for all their systems, Wii was stand alone, I think 3DS and Wii U might be the same but not 100% sure (they're both Nintendo Network at least and can share the same account between both consoles), and the Switch is also on a separate network. That's why they could discontinue the Wii eshop and online without affecting the newer systems. Not sure how Xbox consoles work, but I think we have the least to fear there anyway given how Microsoft seem to actually care about backwards compatibility to some extent, much more so than the competitors anyway.

• Like 1

The PS3 servers won’t be turned off the second PS5 goes live, and so far there’s been no hints from Sony that they will be shutting down the PS3 servers in the future.

But sadly, my gut feeling for awhile has been that we are inching slowly closer to that reality. For this reason, I’m trying to bump a lot of my old PS3 games with multiplayer up to the top of my backlog. I’m hoping to finish the online portion of many of my games over the next year or two in the event the servers demise is suddenly announced one of these days.

I really hope they stick around for awhile though. While many games are dead, others are still highly populated and there are a surprising number of players (especially in other parts of the world like Brazil) that play their PS3 games religiously to this day.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I believe PS3 games on PS Now use the same trophy syncing server, so I don't see that going away for a long time. There's a PS3 section under "your library" on the PS5 as well, I imagine for PS3 games on PS Now, so it seems even less likely they'll just get rid of PS3 games all together on PS Now either.

Servers for games will continue to be shut down though sadly. It's anyone's guess when the last online PS3 game will have its servers taken offline though. The PS2's last online server to be closed was FF11, in 2016.

I'd like to think they'd make an announcement way in advance before they officially shut anything down on PS3 as far as the store, trophy syncing, cloud storage, etc. goes. They did announce a year in advance when the PS3 and Vita would no longer be receiving PS Plus games, but with how anti-consumer Sony has been lately, I don't know what to expect any more.

Yeah this is exactly it, I'm just worried about developers shutting down games servers without any notification. Because I could be doing online one day and the next day I'm locked out of it because its been shut down. Thanks for all the feedback everyone, really helped me I was really worried, love the ps3 so much I would hate for it to just be completely abandoned u know? 

For the love of God and everything Holy, finish your pS3 games from an online trophy perspective. See this topic come up a lot. It's not "If" but "When" and we don't really know yet. If you care then let the fear drive you to got those done!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gotakibono said:

Pretty much my stance on it. I can't imagine the trophy system on PS3 being that much of a burden for Sony to shoulder, and it keeps the PS3 as a viable option for gamers without Sony needing to do a whole lot. But then again, Sony might see it as an unnecessary loose-end and think that PS3 titles could be migrated to PS Now, as they're clearly trying to make it a success. Killing local trophy support for the PS3 and tying it to PS Now would definitely tie that loose-end right up, because I know for a fact that I would only boot up my PS3 these days if I'm trophy hunting.

A majority of people moved on and sold their PS3s. That's understandable, I know people these days want to play games that are more modern. But as someone who has been increasingly concerned for the direction the videogame industry has been taking, I want to play older games that are a better representation of what gaming used to be and in many cases should be.

Several countries still cannot get PS Now, and even though I have this option readily available for me, I'm not willing to pay for another subscription service when I already pay for a buttload of subscription services online these days.

Like you, I play the PS3 almost exclusively to gain trophies. I bought Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing so I can get the online done before the servers shut, as it's now an old game that not many people know about anymore.

I've always enjoyed playing on multiple platforms. But it's not surprising to see less and less people play the older Sony systems (PS3 & Vita) that support trophies as time moves on.

6 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I really hope they stick around for awhile though. While many games are dead, others are still highly populated and there are a surprising number of players (especially in other parts of the world like Brazil) that play their PS3 games religiously to this day.

People forget there are gamers in third world countries who still play on their PS3, some of them may just now be getting into the PS4. Of course that doesn't apply to everyone. I'm actually happy some of these older PS3 games do get a steady share of online players.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Spaz said:

People forget there are gamers in third world countries who still play on their PS3, some of them may just now be getting into the PS4. Of course that doesn't apply to everyone. I'm actually happy some of these older PS3 games do get a steady share of online players.

I started noticing tons of these players from certain countries when I’d play my PS3 games online, and began to realize how many people in other parts of the world still rely on the PS3 servers.

We’re pretty spoiled in the West, and it’s expected that most people have a PS4 nowadays, and many more will soon upgrade to next gen. But there are a lot of players in the world, some of whom I’ve spoken to, who don’t have the same means, and sometimes find it hard to come across new games at all. They might be fortunate enough to come across an old PS3 and a handful of games, so much of the time they end up playing the few games they do have religiously, especially the ones with online components where they can socialize with other people.

Sony is a global brand and have customers all over the world, so I hope they keep that in mind if and when they make any decisions on the PS3’s future. There are many people who still rely on those services so I hope we don’t see them ending any time soon.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 11:36 PM, MrTrofyHunter said:

For the love of God and everything Holy, finish your pS3 games from an online trophy perspective. See this topic come up a lot. It's not "If" but "When" and we don't really know yet. If you care then let the fear drive you to got those done!

L5a42TMrq5RwWp7Ad-ZRIisBRNjAUadNDds_ZuNk

On 11/11/2020 at 6:06 PM, Gotakibono said:

PS Now is unavailable in a few countries, India being one of them. Even here many folks are still on the PS3. So my guess would be that even though multiplayer servers may die out, trophy servers will stay.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nisheet_lall said:

PS Now is unavailable in a few countries, India being one of them. Even here many folks are still on the PS3. So my guess would be that even though multiplayer servers may die out, trophy servers will stay.

I second this, the PS3 is still enormously popular in less-developed countries, it would be madness for Sony to switch off trophy synching.

I don't understand why they don't just put everything in the PS3 and Vita store on a permanent 50-75% discount off current pricing levels, I'm pretty sure Sony, publishers and devs would be very happy with the results of doing that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dreggit said:

I'm pretty sure the PSP still has access to the Playstation Store, unless that was removed without a fanfare... if the PSP still has access to that, I cannot see PS3 losing sync support

No actual access to the store since 2016 but maintains access to your download list.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/12/ps3_gets_a_surprise_firmware_update_available_to_download_now

it updates the Blu-ray keys for recent movie releases, meaning you can continue to use the system as a media player. There’s also a minor security fix that the manufacturer has sewn up.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 1