The XIII Remake could have been better than this

marine75364007

The original game was one of the most unique first person shooters ever made it's a cult classic game that not too many people may know about today but those who do like myself will in no doubt talk highly of it. 

From owning this game since last week i have to say the remake is nothing but a technical mess a shell of the original 2003 release filled with bugs and glitches.

The death animations are so bad it rivals Perfect Dark Zero's janky death animations. The music and audio cuts out especially during important moments in the game the remake is a painful reminder from the original that we're never gonna get a sequel. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23.2.2021 at 5:18 AM, Eraezr said:

Last I heard, the studio pledged to ameliorate the remake. Has there been progress since launch?

They have released a bunch of patches but i think it still runs pretty bad on ps4 consoles. Playing the game via backwards compatibility on ps5 is pretty fine.

One gripe I have is about not being able to carry certain weapons at the same time. Find a sniper rifle? Great. But now you're going to have to swap away the M60 if you'd like to take it. Not so great. Same goes for the 9mm and the Revolver.?The original UbiSoft version won't make you drop the weapon.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Playing the game now on PS5 with the latest updates. And it's still such a buggy mess. Just tonight in the space of 3-4 hours, I've crashed 7 times. That means I had to restart those levels right from the beginning (the game doesn't care about checkpoints and manual saves if the game closes) and about half of those crashes were triggered by me reaching the end of the level and it failing to load the next level. I've also had issues that weren't crashes like being stuck in black loading screens and having to quit out and do the whole level again. It's really tiring and annoying having to play and hope it doesn't crash or you have to do everything again. It wouldn't even be so bad if the game was actually good but yeah...

I've also had audio bugs where everything glitched and silly bugs like running over a log and flying in the air. They didn't lead to me having to restart the level but it just further shows how badly made this game was. Oh, and there's massive drops in frame rate in a lot of levels.

I'm really disappointed. I was excited when the game first released as I love a good FPS campaign but I saw the problems at launch and decided to wait. Since then, they've released several big updates that were meant to fix a lot of things and one was quite recent so I thought I'd buy the game on sale and play it now without too many problems. Oh boy was I wrong. Still stay away from this game till they fix it (if they ever do), unless you're fine with the above.

EDIT: I've now completed the SPADS Base Sabotage mission SIX times and it has crashed every single time I interact with the dynamite. I am unable to progress and I'm stuck replaying over and over hoping it will eventually work. This is pathetic.

EDIT 2: I decided to try the game on my PS4 Pro. The mission completed on the first attempt and I carried on playing, only crashing twice in the whole evening. One was at the end of a level but it was different to PS5 and I was able to start the next mission when I loaded up the game. So, the game is definitely working better on PS4 but it feels awful. I was nearly getting a headache from playing. At least you can progress and not have to continously replay levels like on PS5 though!

Edited by HypnosXIII
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, communistwookiee said:

How did they mess this up so badly? Did they even have QA testers working on this shit? How did anyone at Microids or PlayMagic look at this and say, "Yeah, we can ship this"? How did this pass Sony's QA? Cyberpunk got removed from the store but this garbage is still up? This is the worst PS4 game I've ever played.

They did have QA and they did give feedback but Microids do not care. They bought the license for cheap off from Ubi and did whatever they want. Look at their track record with released games and it don’t get much better.

Edited by totallycrushed