Gold Wireless Headset 2.0 Mic Broken After Inserting Pin Into The Wrong Hole

Dry

For anyone using a Sony/PlayStation Gold Wireless Headset 2.0 (or really any other first-party audio accessory like this) do not insert a paperclip or sewing needle into the small hole on the left side of the headset in between the sound/chat buttons and the power slider.

Recently I was playing around with this headset I’ve been using for 2-3 years so I could reset my audio modes from the PS4 companion app. I did not look at instructions, read text / watch videos from the internet before doing this. From taking a “hands-on” approach I put my pin into the incorrect hole, turns out that hole was the internal microphone and the real reset hole was on the Wireless adaptor. Testing/adjusting the microphone level now receives no audio and the yellow/blue/red bar jumps all over the place.

This has since made me mildly infuriated as I’ve rarely used chat with these on many devices except now if I want to I can’t. I was likely going to get a new headset in a couple of months anyway but now this can be on my to-do list, Maybe I can get that new PS5 Pulse 3D headset?

I couldn’t find any existing forum/discussion here and on other forums where someone has previously learnt this the hard way so I’m going to post it here to prevent any future mishaps. Mods can change the topic category if I posted this in the wrong place, note there isn’t a forum page for console accessories (PSVR being an exception).

Edited by Dry

Yeah, that's a bummer. You punctured your mic.

I did something similar in college. Back in the day I needed to scan some documents and pictures for a paper I was writing into my computer so I grabbed behind my flatbed scanner for a barrel power plug and put it in the hole it fit in my scanner. Turns out I used my printers power supply, threw in too much voltage and just in time to hear a pop and my scanner fill with smoke, I realized I had moved my scanner and was staring at the correct power supply on the other side of my desk. *(This was in the late 90's when AIO printer/scanners were really, really expensive and I got a great deal on a flatbed scanner for $150. Also no "real" smartphones to use their cameras.)