[SPOILERS] What are your thoughts on the story?

I absolutely loved this game, Basically everything about this game is beautiful. The Story is great, it gets you caring about Phin until the very end. If I had one issue it would be that that Rhino/The CEO guy didn't really have a big enough part physically, But I still love Phin as basically the main Antagonist 

• Like 2

I thought it was a very solid story. The twist-and-then-back-again with Miles Uncle was excellent. The redemption at the end was fantastic. I found myself interested in the characters...and the way they portrayed Miles was top-notch.

There were only minor things in the story that detracted from it...but not nearly enough to even really be a thing.

(Like when Miles friend comes to the door...fixes the doorbell...and you hear Miles mom say in the background something to the effect of "You fixed that? That doorbell hasn't worked in years." when in the story they just moved to the apartment within the last year.) Just tiny little things that didn't effect much of anything.

The game did have it's share of glitching for me...but again...the story carried those minor events (1 freeze, 2 mission checkpoint restarts because of non-functioning assets, 2 instances of missing audio in dialogs and some real chugging in the game early on.) Nothing major as the story carried those things with ease and it really had its own personality in contrast to the first Insomniac Spider-Man. Very, very good title overall.

• Like 2

pretty good story for the standalone title and that end credits scene has gotten me even more excited for the spider-man sequel. one thing i will say was krieger felt like an underwhelming villain i wasn't a huge fan of him but it was nice to see troy baker finally make his way into the insomniac spider-man universe somehow, there's not a game that goes by without him in it anymore 

• Like 1

I'm getting really tired of the antagonist having something bad happen to them so they do absolutely monstrous things but you're still supposed to be sympathetic to them. I mean this isn't like 2018 Spider-Man where Octavius appears to be slowly turning mad from his invention and it's only at the end that Peter realizes that it had only provided the final push. Here it's very clear early on that Phin has basically been supplying and leading an organization that is killing people and it's all for nothing because Roxon could have been stopped at a number of points with legit means. So when Miles is spending all this time not wanting to confront or fight Phin I struggle to understand why, he's basically allowing New York to be destroyed for all that time.

Roxon is just there be a replacement for Silver Sable and could be replaced by any other group without you really noticing. The Underground are just a replacement for the Demon's. Miles uncle is a similar situation to Phin, there's no reason to be sympathetic to him when Miles dad clearly made the correct decision.

I did like the Harlem side quest stuff at least and the gameplay and graphics were good too.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Shua_J said:

I thought it was a very solid story. The twist-and-then-back-again with Miles Uncle was excellent. The redemption at the end was fantastic. I found myself interested in the characters...and the way they portrayed Miles was top-notch.

There were only minor things in the story that detracted from it...but not nearly enough to even really be a thing.

(Like when Miles friend comes to the door...fixes the doorbell...and you hear Miles mom say in the background something to the effect of "You fixed that? That doorbell hasn't worked in years." when in the story they just moved to the apartment within the last year.) Just tiny little things that didn't effect much of anything.

The game did have it's share of glitching for me...but again...the story carried those minor events (1 freeze, 2 mission checkpoint restarts because of non-functioning assets, 2 instances of missing audio in dialogs and some real chugging in the game early on.) Nothing major as the story carried those things with ease and it really had its own personality in contrast to the first Insomniac Spider-Man. Very, very good title overall.

The doorbell thing could be explained by the apartment being her childhood home, her mom/Miles' Grandmother lived there before they moved in. You can see the grandmothers clothes & TV in Miles room.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kuzigari_ said:

The doorbell thing could be explained by the apartment being her childhood home, her mom/Miles' Grandmother lived there before they moved in. You can see the grandmothers clothes & TV in Miles room.

Thanks! I meant to come back in and edit that after I left the comment because it dawned on me that what you just said was in the story too. Forgot about that but you're totally right on the money.

• Like 2

My question I still have is... did Phin actually kill Rhino in the end? Or did she just very badly wound him? I mean, she clearly stabbed him, but it seems like Miles might have stopped her before the stab could kill Rhino.  I mean, Rhino is rather tough and durable as is, so I'm questioning it based upon his durability and what have you.

Also, the credit scene with Norman and Curt Conners was nice, shows that Curt has yet to become the Lizard as is.  Unless I'm mistaken in that Curt can go back and fourth in being the Lizard? I know Lego has portrayed him in that sense, but that is Lego xD

The story itself I still enjoyed, even if I think the 2018 Spidey story was just a bit better for me.  I mean, I did get emotional with Phin, but not as much as with the whole, fighting Octavius and what happened with Aunt May.  I did like the little Octavius cameo near the end too in the flashback sequence at Oscorp, especially after Peter leaves, you can hear Octavius and his whole hate for Norman be voiced, which is nice, reminding you that Otto did not like Norman back then.

And I did like the little set of side quests in regards to Harlem and what the Kingpin was trying to do.

And fun fact, while taking on Prowler in the story, I had the suit on that he had given Miles after the sound sample side quest.  I don't know why, but I find that amusing, he gives you that suit, and you use it to beat the crap out of him with it xD

• Like 2

I absolutely loved the game, and it's story. It's definetly a faster pace than the first game. A the start I was a bit worried as I felt you could see the bug twist coming, but they handled it really well. Also a big fan of the Prowler redemtion arc. Ending is also great, bit somber, but not as sad as the first one. Really hope they build to a game where you have to be both Peter and Miles.

Also, that Venom tease at the end ... I can't wait for the next game.

On 11/13/2020 at 6:09 PM, AusLeviathan said:

I'm getting really tired of the antagonist having something bad happen to them so they do absolutely monstrous things but you're still supposed to be sympathetic to them.

ikr? ima be honest, in the ending fight scene with phin i was literally yelling at the tv "FIGHT HER DUDE WTF COME ON" when he kept trying to reason with her lol. when he finally engaged i was like YEEESSSSS KNOCK HER OUT HOMIE SHE DESERVE IT

Edited by shxrpay
  • Like 3

On 2020-11-13 at 7:33 AM, Shua_J said:

The game mentions that Rios mom used to live there before they moved in, so presumably they’ve visited that apartment before.

4 hours ago, Nindo_1 said:

The game mentions that Rios mom used to live there before they moved in, so presumably they’ve visited that apartment before.

Yep. Someone above already called that out. It dawned on me after I wrote that and forgot to edit it out.

Eeehhhhh, I couldn't find it that engaging.

I think a big part of that is the games' super fast pace. It works wonderfully game-wise, but in terms of story, characters and plots seem to go from point A to point C without that point B buildup. 2018 might have been slow at points, but I'll never say that the emotional payoffs weren't earned. Maybe this game was banking on knowing a large amount of these characters beforehand, but I didn't know them, outside of Miles and the Prowler. And the Prowler, being mostly antagonistic even before this game, didn't have any real surprises for me.

Miles didn't have many annoying moments outside the moment @shxrpaymentioned, but he did feel kinda weak as an identifiable character, or even as an interesting hero. I've complained a lot about Peter at his worse writing seems to bring a lot of problems onto himself, but I seemed to have the exact problem Miles. No matter what this kid does, things seem to work out for him, or at least amount to not a big deal. Imposing odds? Suddenly new powers! Slandered on the radio? Not a single soul seems to care. Secret identity exposed? Ah, it's no big deal. Two antagonists discover your secret identity? Well ain't you lucky that one is only looking out for you, and the other never thinks to use it against you, if only to get you off their back. Actually, I can't remember if the Brendan Frasier looking guy discovered the identity either, so maybe that's three. Not that it matters, as he seems to only have three story moments; being deceptively nice, being a monstrous dick, and being arrested.

I'll get in a quick word about the Tinkerer; just like Miles, pretty weak. @AusLeviathansummed it up perfectly. Again, the brisk pace didn't help matters here; if you are going to rehash to Doc Ock scenario again, you needed to rehash the most important part, and that's the time spent getting us to actually CARE for the character.

And that's all I got to say now. I'll talk more about the gameplay when I platinum the game. Spoilers; it's definitely the highlight.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2020 at 0:33 PM, DrakeHellsing said:

And fun fact, while taking on Prowler in the story, I had the suit on that he had given Miles after the sound sample side quest.  I don't know why, but I find that amusing, he gives you that suit, and you use it to beat the crap out of him with it xD

That's funny I did the same thing. I thought why not go toe to toe with similar suits. Also liked the memoriam for Chadwick Boseman at the end. 

Wakanda Forever

1 minute ago, KunoGuy said:

That's funny I did the same thing. I thought why not go toe to toe with similar suits. Also liked the memoriam for Chadwick Boseman at the end. 

Wakanda Forever

I didn't sit through the credits, so I missed that sadly.  This time around, I wish that when you can skip the credits, that it would skip to the tribute, would have been awesome.

And yeah, I had that suit on, cause it looked cool... until I got the other suit for completing all them hideouts and used that one.  Heck, that suit for completing all the hideouts even uses the "kill mode" thing, the one that Tom Holland's suit in Endgame and the likes has, those staby... things, whatever you want to call them.  Granted, this suit only seemed to use them now and then for takedowns while fighting, but it's there.

I do actually wonder if anyone managed to do a takedown with Prowler while at Roxxon when getting Phin's phone.  Cause while fighting with him, I used a takedown and he actually joined in to finish off the enemy, as in, Miles started it and the Prowler finished him off.  It's small, but it's there.

I only miss the NG+ Trophy now and have to say that I really liked the story and I am even sad how it ended. I actually liked Phin and I kinda got into that "yeah she becomes good again" and "oh no she is bad again" thing and it is a good feeling at least that she died on that heroic thing. Still a kinda good story, even if it was pretty short compared to the first one.

• Like 2

The story was the only thing sucked about the game. What a fucking retarded story it was! It started cliche but ending was just like wow. Even worse than Tlou2 lmao.
Your best friend dies and you just start dancing like there is no tomorrow. Hahahaha give me a break! That did not make any sense at all, not to mention everyone knows who the spiderman is lol

• Like 1

People in this thread be trying to outsmart a story in a comic book game, just wow

Honestly, I really enjoyed the story, though I was caught off-guard by the notification that the game would soon be ending! But I enjoyed how personal it felt from start to finish, you had the whole of Manhattan, sure, but it was all about Harlem and really being a friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man in the truest sense. 

• Like 1

Honestly, when I think about, I did not like this ending like at all compared to the first game. I felt sympathetic to doc ock but with the fast paced nature of this story, I just didn't feel bad for Phin like at all. Honestly I was telling mysel, I hope she dies just cause she was being so stupid and..well..she did. Just wasn't as good as 2018's story

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just earned the platinum the other day... I got to say really enjoyed the game a bit too short though. For its length 39.99 sounds more reasonable. I really hope when the proper sequel to Spider-Man comes out that we will be able to play as both Peter & Miles. It would be cool if it was like GTA 5 where while free roaming we could switch between the two. They're going to have to do something to keep Peter fresh though because the venom powers really make Miles a superior Spider-Man to control. 

• Like 1

I was surprised that the endgame message came so early; nevertheless, I was blown away by the story and the ending in particular. I had really connected with both Miles and Phin and kinda expected them to be together by the end.

By the end of the game, I felt that Miles was a more powerful character than Peter in the last game, thanks to Venom powers. Really looking forward to where they'll take this story next.