[SPOILERS] What are your thoughts on the story?

Having got it on Christmas day and played through it over the last week, I thought the story was alright, if a little short. I liked the character of Miles and how he was portrayed. With him being more associated with a particular area of the city rather than the city as a whole, it made him feel more grounded than Peter. The naivety in some situations helped sell the new Spider-Man angle.

Got to say that Phin never really grew on me as a character. Even before the (obvious in hindsight) reveal that she's the TInkerer, I felt the game was pushing the "She's so great and smart" angle too much, with her pretty much outsmarting and proving Miles wrong at every moment and with all the time capsules mentioning her being good at everything. I know that's to endear the audience to her so that the reveal, betrayal and death hit harder and to show how much Miles cares for her but it just never worked for me. On the other hand, they did things with Prowler that I didn't expect. That he made it to the end credits surprised me as I was sure that they were going to go down a similar route to Spider-Verse and that he'd be the one to sacrifice himself to save Miles. 

Post credits scene has hyped me up for the next game as not only does it continue the Harry Venom tease from the first game but also Lizard and Green Goblin (at least, Norman being shown through the green incubation tube seemed like that to me). Assuming it's a few years out, the next game is possibly the one that will convince me to get a PS5.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the plat for the game. I want to say forcing a NG+ when it's completely unneccesary (there's chapter select for that reason) hurts the enjoyment of this platinum trophy run. In doing so I got to pay more attention to the story, characters, and situations Miles is in.

There's no way Miles would have survived this game. We see Peter (stronger, more experienced) get downed by Rhino and passes out. Throughout the game Miles takes an absolute BEATING that should have killed him multiple times, ESPECIALLY at the end of the game. In the final fight of the game alone he gets smashed into concrete pillars and the ground by Tinkerer. Miles then rockets himself and falls 50 stories up and lands back first onto solid ground with Tinkerer on top of him. They're both fine and able to get up with no injury. Miles then absorbs countless amounts of electricity which would have melted his skin and exploded his organs. Miles then violently explodes and plummets who knows how many hundreds of feet up (because the explosion would have wiped out Harlem so we can only assume the height of his fall is around the length of Harlem or half if the building was in the middle of Harlem) Miles then lands in rubble with concert, shatter glass and broken rebar all around. He gets up without a scratch and swings away.

The first Spider-Man was more realistic with injuries and more believable lasting effects. Peter got worn out and stayed that way for a good while. Was it perfect in the first game? No, but at least there were signs of fatigue and fear of injury and tension. A good counter to this is the Daredevil Netflix show. DD gets worn out, beaten up and you fear for him, you get anxious, sure he's not going to die cause its his show....but he could, right? With Miles he's indestructible, zero tension, zero reason to cheer him back up on his feet like in Spider-Verse, "Spider-Man always gets back up."

Also, everyone is a super genius at the age of 15? Genke reengineers Peter's suit and reprograms it, they're constantly hacking everything and knows the answer to everything Miles needs answered. Phin designs technology on the level of Ironman at his best, she makes a sword with the ability to cut through Rhino's armor when he's been wanting a way out of it for presumably years now and nobody has been able to cut it off? And Miles is around as genius as the rest of them. It was way way overdone with a "kidz rule" vibe where they're doing things that Elon Musk has yet to do. When I was 15 I was playing Smash Bros tournaments with friends eating pizza, not hacking city files about building layouts and plumbing networks and reengineering super suits.

This being said Haley was wonderful and the best. Cheerful, sweet, believable. Haley, Teo and the older lady who had her supplies stolen were great side characters. Rio for the first half of the game was really great and fun but when she finds out Miles is Spider-Man I lost interest in her. Aunt May was much better at being a character and mother to Spider-Man than Rio was with their reactions to discovering the identity and dealing with their sons.

While these things are big issues I can't ignore to me, I really enjoyed Miles and Genke as characters and their friendship. Having Miles know Phin is Tinkerer the first time they meet was great and not the overdone reveal at the end. I enjoyed the Christmas aesthetic, JJJ was brilliant again, the side missions did a fantastic job at developing relationships. And overall the story was pretty good, I think the first Spider-Man was much better and am glad Insomniac was able to tell their own version. It'll be nice to see more character drama and bigger and more villains in the sequel. This was a fun game overall but not well written.

• 2 months later...