Anyone Else Super Impressed?

DeathlessVoid

Yes. I love that Astro has become such a great showcase character, if only he had a game on the PS Vita too but Tearaway knocked it out of the park for the system features. I have enjoyed all the Playroom games, Ninja Bots was my favorite from the original, then Robot Rescue from VR and then Astro Bot. man, that game ruined flat 3D platforming for me. I missed it in this, I won’t lie, but the DualSense... I get why people are saying it’s a game changer, “next gen” and innovative. 

The ice skating on particular, and just moving back and forth as the spring outfit feels so good. It’s incredible. And the triggers. I really don’t get how any of it works, but it’s so magical. I really hope developers and publishers support these things because it really is amazing. 

I’m only sad that now I’m thinking of so many things I wish would work with this. Much like how I felt over Astro Bot (Crash Bandicoot, Tearaway... those would work so well like that). Flower with DualSense would add so much, Journey... and god I really hope Sony is still in VR and is making some DualSense controllers for VR with an Astro game. I need both in one so badly. 

I’m not that impressed over PS5 as a whole, but the controller. I’m impressed, and it feels more comfortable to use than the DS4 for me. And I generally would be a person to just disable rumble, DualSense is so great. 

• Like 3

On 16/11/2020 at 4:45 PM, enaysoft said:

The Astrobot rescue is my favourite VR game, and that other free VR stuff with Astroboy in it was incredible too, so I guess it's no surprise that the PS5 Astro bot is also good. I have yet to play the PS4 Astro Bot that came with that system too, Playroom I think it was called.

Since I have a camera because of owning VR I might have to give it a go, since I am kinda jealous and can't play the PS5 one yet.

Ive played all four editions and the ps5 version is great addition to this. astrobot VR is still amazing above all of them. Easily best PS4 VR game. Game just makes you laugh and grin like a kid again. Haven't had that from game in a long time.

Edited by SlipingJimmy
  • Like 2

It just goes to show that this new gen has a lot of things that you need to experience first hand. You need a display to match the frame rate improvements, the res and the quality of the picture. When it comes to the controller and the 3D sound, this is an excellent showcase for it and it's so hard to explain it without sounding corny. It's something that I thought was a bunch of marketing bs and now I'm a believer. People will talk about the SSD and the fast speed times, but for me, it's this controller + 3D sound that make the PS5 next gen. While there are two next gen consoles, there is only one next gen controller. I can tell that PS5 is going for full immersive experience and this little tech demo of a game made me giddy for future first party titles.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TerminalPhoenix said:

It just goes to show that this new gen has a lot of things that you need to experience first hand. You need a display to match the frame rate improvements, the res and the quality of the picture. When it comes to the controller and the 3D sound, this is an excellent showcase for it and it's so hard to explain it without sounding corny. It's something that I thought was a bunch of marketing bs and now I'm a believer. People will talk about the SSD and the fast speed times, but for me, it's this controller + 3D sound that make the PS5 next gen. While there are two next gen consoles, there is only one next gen controller. I can tell that PS5 is going for full immersive experience and this little tech demo of a game made me giddy for future first party titles.

What's your 3D sound set up? Are you using the new headset or do you have a surround sound system?

Completely agree, an absolutely fantastic game.  I got Miles Morales and Assassin's Creed with the console, have played and Platinumed the first and am starting the second tonight.....seeing and appreciating what raytracing is, seeing the incredibly fast load times due to the SSD, that stuff's all very cool and very impressive, but nothing has hit me as feeling just absolutely game changing and as next-gen as just holding the controller and running around as Astrobot.  From the controller demo that plays when you first start it up, it's completely amazing.  And then to have this really solid and fun platformer on top of that alongside this extensive and incredibly sweet celebration of 25 years of Playstation?  After seeing someone play it on Playstation Access the weekend before the console came out, I got really excited for it, but I still wasn't anticipating how much I would end up loving this game.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gillium-001 said:

What's your 3D sound set up? Are you using the new headset or do you have a surround sound system?

I’m using the new headset although I will likely want to upgrade it to something better in the future. I’m willing to invest in a more premium headset but I’m holding on for more choice. I had a lucidsound LS41 which technically can work on the PS5 but that’s a lie haha. So I’m willing to wait a bit. It is worth the experience though. Two thumbs up. 

Everyone has basically covered it already, but if you're undecided on playing this, you really should play it!  It's hard to believe this game was included for free!  I was only able to play 2 areas before having to go to work, but absolutely loved what I saw!

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 3:35 PM, TerminalPhoenix said:

I’m using the new headset although I will likely want to upgrade it to something better in the future. I’m willing to invest in a more premium headset but I’m holding on for more choice. I had a lucidsound LS41 which technically can work on the PS5 but that’s a lie haha. So I’m willing to wait a bit. It is worth the experience though. Two thumbs up. 

I'm using a "more premium" headset with my PS5 currently and am unimpressed. Maybe it's just Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, but the sound seems shallow.

For reference, I'm using the $300 CAD Corsair Virtuoso SE. On my PC it's pretty thumping, and it's more than capable of directional audio/7.1 emulation, but on the PS5 it just feels lacklustre, probably from a lack of EQ and controls. It's flat. So if you are going to get a "premium" headset, invest in one that sounds spectacular out of the box because you can't adjust anything on it otherwise.

14 minutes ago, DeathlessVoid said:

I'm using a "more premium" headset with my PS5 currently and am unimpressed. Maybe it's just Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, but the sound seems shallow.

For reference, I'm using the $300 CAD Corsair Virtuoso SE. On my PC it's pretty thumping, and it's more than capable of directional audio/7.1 emulation, but on the PS5 it just feels lacklustre, probably from a lack of EQ and controls. It's flat. So if you are going to get a "premium" headset, invest in one that sounds spectacular out of the box because you can't adjust anything on it otherwise.

I'm not surprised. Premium headsets will almost always be better but I think the launch lineup of audio devices made for PS5 is poor. It's a bit of a wait and see. Ideally I'd like something like the Astro A50 so I can switch between PC and PS5 with on button press (I game on a monitor rather than a TV). 

Great game, but would have been so much better in VR. The precision of jumping in true 3D (VR) is superior and the collectibles more fun to find. Overall though a nice game; showed of the controller, nice trip down memory lane, and can’t turn your nose up at 4hrs of free game.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

I absolutely adore this game, start to finish. Everything about it was so fun, except maybe the rolling ball part which was a bit annoying. There were about a handful hidden trophies that I couldn’t figure out on my own, the rest I managed to discover myself (accidentally) because exploring the Labo was sooo much fun. I’m sure I increased my total play time beyond platinum by about an hour just by soaking in the details of that room alone.

I’d love to see another game released, a full one, I’d pay. 

Edited by ArcadeJedi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my PS5 earlier this week and amongst my excitement of finally finding one, I got home only to realize I still need to buy some games for it. With the exception of going back to all the PS4 games I have to play, Astro's Playroom was the only new game I had at first. I had a blast playing it! I wasn't super familiar with all the new features of the DualSense but had been hearing a lot of positive feedback. This game did a great job showcasing all its features and I was very impressed. Who knew there were still innovations to be had with the controller of all things! Not only did it showcase the new tech wonderfully and feature some great platforming, it was a beautiful love letter to the history of Playstation. The only negative is that it was so short. I'd love to see a full fledged Astro game and would happily pay for it, but free is always nice!

On 16/11/2020 at 1:37 PM, cpc630 said:

This game was super fun!  Showed off all the tech features of the PS5.  It's has similar game changing mechanics that made Wii Sports a system seller for the Wii. 

Sorry but there's no way I believe many people purchased a day 1 ps5 to purely play astros play ground nor did family's gather around the TV to play astros over and over like they did wii sports.

In terms of ground breaking or new tech wii sports was in a totally different universe. 

Edited by Dan-lives-here
  • Like 1