The true story of Little Hope may be hiding a much deeper sinister truth ...[SPOILERS]

15 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

If you've ventured beyond the title of this post and you still want to read what I have to say about the story: you were warned.

If you haven't finished the game yet, stop reading and close this window. Major spoilers ahead!

I don't know if any of the following details I've uncovered have already been mentioned here on PSNP, but regardless: here we go. Before you ask: a lot of this is also based on actual collectibles you can find in the game. There's a TLDR paragraph down below if you really can't be bothered. But I urge you to read everything, all the same.

---------

Great post, congrats!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting interpretation. What are your thoughts then on Andrew hitting his head and losing his memories? He was ferrying the souls but never intended to take them to Little Hope? He genuinely lost his memories and was prevented from safely protecting the spirits as told?

I'll replay with this theory in mind (I have to for the trophies anyway) but I'm a huge fan of naturalistic explanations. I am heavily biased this way which may be affecting my interpretation of the game. My initial interpretation wasn't that Andrew was a Ferryman, but that he interpreted himself to be that way. That he felt he was carrying around the souls of his family with him, unable to let them go. By all of the characters facing their own demons, it was Andrew finally acknowledging they had their own agency too, and it wasn't all up to him to save them. By coming to this conclusion, he was able to finally let it go, and his company name appeared properly. I think he genuinely got confused by hitting his head, and it caused his memories to come back in super bizarre ways.

The one thing this idea doesn't account for well, which your theory does, is the reincarnations throughout time. We can say Andrew modernized the memory of his family a bit while he grew, but it wouldn't explain that statue of the author, which is the biggest thing pointing at a supernatural reincarnation explanation in my eyes. Why the witch trials if it's all in Andrew's head? Why the look alikes? I was interpreting the witch trials as a manifestation of Andrew trying to shift blame for the fire. He blamed Megan for the fire. He made her a witch in his eyes. By changing his interpretation of Mary's character in the witch trials, he was able to see the modern priest was the villain. The modern Priest, I believe, was sexually abusing Megan. He kept holding her late. The drawing, which you interpret to be of a demon or the devil, I saw as her conception of the priest in her life. She saw her family as not only incapable of helping her, but complicit in her suffering. Priests abusing children have been known to tell them things like they are corrupted, and their abuse is bringing salvation. Megan may have viewed herself as damned already, or captured by the devil. The devil whispering in her ear may have been simply her own interpretation of her whispering thoughts telling her to burn it all down. Megan deliberately burned down the house - but Andrew realizes she wasn't completely at fault, the priest was to blame as much as if not more than she was.

Note that before every flashback, we do not see things in the trials until we discover some modern clue that supports it - for example, we don't see the writing in the Priest's bible until we've seen that clue. In other words, Andrew, having grown up in and experienced the town, is familiar with its legends, and things he sees are incorporated into them. He's placed his family as stand-ins for the stories of old.  It is a way of him processing.

Every flashback involves spirits literally grabbing onto us - hard - and dragging us into that timeline. In fact, Andrew had a bruise from it. This fits pretty well with your theory about the spirits being real. You could also view it as being back in the town is very forcibly making Andrew confront his demons. Why, then, could he and the others interfere with the witch trials and cause it to look like supernatural events were occurring? I think this was to illustrate the fact that the past could not be changed - attempting to save the past incarnations was ultimately hopeless, and the witnesses further doubled down on their conviction to kill. Andrew - and the others - had to stop attempting to physically change the past - instead their power came in changing the interpretation of the past - ie convicting the priest as the true enemy instead of Mary which frees Andrew from hatred and misplaced blame and guilt, convincing their doubles to interpret things a certain way - note that only influencing Abraham makes meaningful and permanent changes to the past. The others ultimately don't matter. Abraham is Andrew.

Finally, my last argument for the 'all in Andrew's head' theory is specifically BECAUSE you can change the way Tanya died via Andrew's choices - and that changes the way her double died in the 1600's. Andrew's modern day agency changing the past makes 0 sense to me. Therefore, the 1600's spirit being strangled when Tanya is, and burned when Tanya is, with only Andrew being the difference, seems suspicious.

Thanks for making me think :) I'm curious what others think as well

• Like 3

Hmm... for those interested in this topic, I strongly recommend reading the two 'secrets of little hope' comics. Not sure it gives a final answer but the first is basically JoaLoft's theory, the second lends a lot of credit to the 'all in the head' theory, and basically left me more confused about what the game was trying to communicate. Perhaps it tries to have it both ways, as the Curator's big thing is the story is ours to tell, ours to interpret, ours to decide what makes a happy ending.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, I'm glad I read this just now. After 3 playthroughs (just two more trophies to get) I thought I had a handle on what was going on, from supernatural shenanigans to mental illness and the processing of grief. But this just puts a whole new spin on everything I experienced. Awesome, thanks! 

I just finished my first playthrough, so I haven't thought about it too much yet. My first thought at the ending was the movie "Identity." Since there are specific personality traits you have to unlock in order to save everyone at the end, it makes sense that this is all inside of his head and you have to inhabit every character to make them work together. It also finally makes sense for once in a Supermassive game why it keeps switching characters so frequently and interchangeably (since we are the true puppet master). But this "Ferryman" explanation gives an even deeper significance and makes it more interesting without disregarding any of the "imaginary" plot points. I like that both theories can exist at the same time, and I look forward to delving deeper in my replays. Decent story, but these trophy requirements are going to be a pain in the ass...

Having finally earned the platinum across four playthroughs, I now have a completely different interpretation of events which lends more credence to the reincarnation theory. The very last trophy I earned was for the collectibles, and the final secret is automatically given to you at the end. When looking at the description of the Crude Doll, it states:

A doll made by someone with limited means that crudely resembles a poppet.

The materials of the crude poppet could be found in a prison cell.

Anthony spent a short time in prison after the fire.

When you start the game at the bus crash, the first collectible you find is a book on witchcraft that depicts the creation of the poppet. It seems clear to me that Anthony became obsessed with this idea (possibly in jail, while wracked with guilt) and crafted the poppet which allows him to look back in time and "manipulate" events in 1692 (whether this is all in his head or not, to atone for his guilt, is up to interpretation).

There are three main endings to the game, which also depict how at peace Anthony is with his decisions.

Worst ending: If you condemn Mary, she is burned at the stake and all your characters (split personalities, emotions, what have you) die.

Neutral ending: If you burn the poppet, the entire building burns down, mirroring the events of 1972. I believe this is the "canon" ending because this ties into the idea of reincarnation (doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past).

Good ending: If you accuse Carver, you absolve Mary and free her of her sins. This is what Anthony wishes he had done in his 1972 timeline (by paying more attention to Megan). Again, I think this is Anthony imagining the best case scenario and attempting to forgive himself for what happened in the fire. (As it fades out, you hear him say, "But I didn't save you...")

The Ferryman/Farriman connection is definitely there (the Curator also mentions it at one point), but I still believe this is Anthony dealing with his multiple personality disorder and attempting to "correct" the past by saving everyone in his mind. Or else, if you buy into the supernatural theory (via the collectibles in the game), then he definitely crafted the poppet and tapped into the past, but was still unable to change anything. Despite whichever ending you receive, it still doesn't bring any of his family back; it's more about coming to terms with his inner demons and gaining closure.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 7:16 PM, KhajiitWerewolf said:

-snip-

On 9/6/2021 at 3:01 PM, bud-arc said:

-snip-

Sorry for cutting out both quotes, they were super long, haha. But I read them, and I remembered that I still wanted to reply to these comments.

There's certainly proof that it could all be psychological manifestations. To me though, a few things really stood out which is why I'm leaning more towards the supernatural theory:

- The whole Farriman (Ferryman) given and its mythological explanation.

- The dark figure with the claw-like hand in the prologue "guiding" the little girl to burn the doll and set the house on fire.

- The way in which the characters in the prologue die in eerily perfect timed fashion, if you look at how that cutscene is edited. So eerily perfect in fact, that there's no other way from my point of view than that some malicious supernatural entity is intervening and orchestrating their gruesome deaths. Tanya's death in particular stuck with me: the odds of her *accidentally* hanging herself by her scarf getting stuck on the balcony when she tries to climb down seem so incredibly small, that it's much more likely that the Devil had a hand in all their deaths.

- The music playing when all characters die in the prologue sounds menacing. Too menacing to be just sheer coincidence. I did some quick research: some of the tracks on the official soundtrack even have titles such as "Beyond Salvation" and "The Devil's Grasp".

Several details are definitely left open to interpretation, so I reckon this is perhaps a classic example of the "Schrödinger's Cat theory". Both explanations are in some way viable and they co-exist in parallel circumstances. Meaning that there is no canon explanation, and players are left to fill in the gaps themselves however they see fit.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I know my comment is too late to the party but just played the game for the very first time yesterday and I was shocked and loved the ending (let's say the psychological part at least)

anyways I really like the topic and OP really did a fine job giving his theory which I liked and opened up other possible narratives in my head for this game, my only issue with your theory is this 

On 11/13/2020 at 1:00 AM, JoaLoft said:

As the sun rises - and we see this for the very first time in Little Hope's scenes across all timelines, mind you - it symbolizes how the darkness literally has been dispelled, the fog has disappeared and Evil has been banished from Little Hope after centuries

in my walkthrough I didn't accuse the reverend as I was getting the all head decisions so Mary was accused, that means I didn't get to punish the reverend/ real demon or evil in the game thus I didn't lift the curse off of Little Hope cause the demon still there and wasn't punished AND still I got the same ending where the sun rises on little hope, so if I didn't punish the demon and by your saying that the sun rises means the darkness has been dispelled along with the fog, how come I also get the sun rising scene and I didn't dispel the true darkness and instead punished Mary? that made me think that it's all in Anthony's / Cab driver's heard and it's all psychological and not supernatural and that he made peace with him self (AKA the sun rise) even if he punished the wrong person (but in his head he is convinced he punished the true evil whether it's Mary or the reverend)

Anthony is an unreliable narrator and that creates the sort of ambiguity that I like about this game and thus we create our own theories and how to fill in the stories

really this is an underrated game and IMO waaaaay better than Man of Medan (still hasn't played House of Ashes)

4 minutes ago, MohameDina9192 said:

I know my comment is too late to the party but just played the game for the very first time yesterday and I was shocked and loved the ending (let's say the psychological part at least)

anyways I really like the topic and OP really did a fine job giving his theory which I liked and opened up other possible narratives in my head for this game, my only issue with your theory is this 

in my walkthrough I didn't accuse the reverend as I was getting the all head decisions so Mary was accused, that means I didn't get to punish the reverend/ real demon or evil in the game thus I didn't lift the curse off of Little Hope cause the demon still there and wasn't punished AND still I got the same ending where the sun rises on little hope, so if I didn't punish the demon and by your saying that the sun rises means the darkness has been dispelled along with the fog, how come I also get the sun rising scene and I didn't dispel the true darkness and instead punished Mary? that made me think that it's all in Anthony's / Cab driver's heard and it's all psychological and not supernatural and that he made peace with him self (AKA the sun rise) even if he punished the wrong person (but in his head he is convinced he punished the true evil whether it's Mary or the reverend)

Anthony is an unreliable narrator and that creates the sort of ambiguity that I like about this game and thus we create our own theories and how to fill in the stories

really this is an underrated game and IMO waaaaay better than Man of Medan (still hasn't played House of Ashes)

Fair point. I suppose the rising sun did fit very neatly into the plot if you were able to stop the Reverend and dispel evil.

It's not a make-or-break case, but as a minor detail, that rising sun is negligible if you got a less positive outcome, I feel.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I still think the story sucks. Its suppose to have that b-movie vibe but never really manages to do it perfectly. As for the plot to have a deeper meaning doesnt really work i think because the characters are never fleshed out and i never cared for any of them. The demons are okay designed but just like man of medan, theyre hardly ever in the game and the qte sequences are uninspired and weak.

Still fun to play for what it tries to be but thats about it. Nothing outstanding. I think a movie like as above, so below would work perfectly as a supermassive horror game.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

I still think the story sucks. Its suppose to have that b-movie vibe but never really manages to do it perfectly. As for the plot to have a deeper meaning doesnt really work i think because the characters are never fleshed out and i never cared for any of them. The demons are okay designed but just like man of medan, theyre hardly ever in the game and the qte sequences are uninspired and weak.

Still fun to play for what it tries to be but thats about it. Nothing outstanding. I think a movie like as above, so below would work perfectly as a supermassive horror game.

As above, so below was an awesome movie, I actually watched that again recently and it still holds up 8 years later. It wasn't well received critically, but it's one of the best found footage style movies i've ever seen in my opinion. 

22 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

As above, so below was an awesome movie, I actually watched that again recently and it still holds up 8 years later. It wasn't well received critically, but it's one of the best found footage style movies i've ever seen in my opinion. 

Its also one of my favorite found footage movies and i agree, one of the best movies in the genre. If you havent seen them, grave encounters 1 and 2 are also really good.