My review of the game and Platinum - "Keep your expectations low and you'll still be dissapointed"

coolwali

• 3 months later...

i tried really hard to read everything but i ended giving up halfway lol. honestly, I think you're right on some points. most people just want to play and relax, enjoy the trip, especially when a game from their favorite franchise comes out. overall, this experience didn't appeal to you, and that's okay, it happens.

• 4 months later...

What a slog it was to read half of this, while I respect your opinion the things you complained about can be applied to a number of other games also you are very redundant when explaining something just get to the point or people will just skim through it, and one last thing "Keep your expectations low and you'll still be disappointed" is so over dramatic.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

This is the first time I've seen someone not liking this game. For me by far the best game on PS4. You must've been having a midlife crisis when you played this. 

To be fair, I’ve tried to play this twice due to all the acclaim it gets and both times I got about 45 mins in then gave up.

That’s not the fault of the game, it is a beautiful looking and well-crafted thing. The worst I could say critically is the combat feels a little stodgy and uninspired compared to something like Bayonetta 2 but it’s fine, it may even improve as you level up later in the game, I don’t know...

The greater issue for me is just I don’t tend to enjoy these “story first” games. It’s why I have zero interest in the Quantic Dreams games or Uncharted/TLOU series. Basically anything that boils down to you being funnelled down highly linear paths from set-piece to set-piece (which obviously some people do enjoy) has to have a super-interesting story/world or gameplay in between to hook me and I don’t think God of War did.

For example Persona 5, Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spider-Man/Miles Morales all have elements of that funnelling and I love each of those games but in God of War the set-pieces seem to be the bulk of the game rather than a thread tying the game together and God of War’s characters/world/opening didn’t interest me enough to stick at it and find out more, equally the gameplay  didn’t give me anything along the lines of the open world web-swinging or the robot-dinosaur hunting in Spider-Man and Horizon to hook me and get away with it.

As I say, definitely all an issue with my tastes as a player, not the game’s fault at all but that doesn’t mean I or anyone else is “wrong” for not liking it.

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tsundokuist said:

To be fair, I’ve tried to play this twice due to all the acclaim it gets and both times I got about 45 mins in then gave up.

That’s not the fault of the game, it is a beautiful looking and well-crafted thing. The worst I could say critically is the combat feels a little stodgy and uninspired compared to something like Bayonetta 2 but it’s fine, it may even improve as you level up later in the game, I don’t know...

The greater issue for me is just I don’t tend to enjoy these “story first” games. It’s why I have zero interest in the Quantic Dreams games or Uncharted/TLOU series. Basically anything that boils down to you being funnelled down highly linear paths from set-piece to set-piece (which obviously some people do enjoy) has to have a super-interesting story/world or gameplay in between to hook me and I don’t think God of War did.

For example Persona 5, Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spider-Man/Miles Morales all have elements of that funnelling and I love each of those games but in God of War the set-pieces seem to be the bulk of the game rather than a thread tying the game together and God of War’s characters/world/opening didn’t interest me enough to stick at it and find out more, equally the gameplay  didn’t give me anything along the lines of the open world web-swinging or the robot-dinosaur hunting in Spider-Man and Horizon have to hook me and get away with it.

As I say, definitely all an issue with my tastes as a player, not the game’s fault at all but that doesn’t mean I or anyone else is “wrong” for not liking it.

45 min... How can you say all that from 45 min. And Uncharted is definitely not story first. 

Edited by GUDGER666
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

45 min... How can you say all that from 45 min. And Uncharted is definitely not story first. 

I’m not saying I’m IGN and I’ve done a deep playthrough here’s the objective score for the game.

I’m just saying once the initial “wow, this really is a gorgeous game” moments wore off I wasn’t really enjoying anything about it and I didn’t have any desire to spend more time with it.

As I say, I’ve attempted to get into it twice now as it’s so widely-acclaimed and I’m not questioning that at all, I don’t have any complaints about it. I just think it’s not for me.

Edited by Tsundokuist

Is it just me or does it seem like he got attacked by some for stating an opinion? Well, it kind of seemed that way to me, anyway. If I read in to it wrong, my fault. For those that said it was too long to read, the title DOES say "MREVIEW of the game". Reviews are an assessment or examination of something and will always be an in-depth opinion so if someone says it's a review I'd expect it to be it longer than usual.

I wish more people on here would do what he did so thank you, Coolwali. I find it hard to trust YouTube reviews because these "reviewers" are constantly getting game codes handed to them for free and they also never mention a single thing about the trophies so I welcome any and all reviews from members on here (just so long as you're not a YouTuber getting free game codes ??). I have every conceivable platinum for the GoW series and I have to agree that I wasn't a fan of this one. Here was my colorful opinion back in 2019 when I platinumed it: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/300021-platinum-difficulty-rating/page/7/.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Is it just me or does it seem like he got attacked by some for stating an opinion? Well, it kind of seemed that way to me, anyway. If I read in to it wrong, my fault. For those that said it was too long to read, the title DOES say "MREVIEW of the game". Reviews are an assessment or examination of something and will always be an in-depth opinion so if someone says it's a review I'd expect it to be it longer than usual.

I wish more people on here would do what he did so thank you, Coolwali. I find it hard to trust YouTube reviews because these "reviewers" are constantly getting game codes handed to them for free and they also never mention a single thing about the trophies so I welcome any and all reviews from members on here (just so long as you're not a YouTuber getting free game codes 1f606.png1f643.png). I have every conceivable platinum for the GoW series and I have to agree that I wasn't a fan of this one. Here was my colorful opinion back in 2019 when I platinumed it: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/300021-platinum-difficulty-rating/page/7/.

The 'bad' thing about the review is that is way too long and 90% are negative comments other than that his rich choice of words is more than ok

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/17/2020 at 11:59 PM, coolwali said:

Yeah

I want to let you know I read your entire review and I greatly enjoyed it.  One of the best and most thorough reviews I've ever read.  I haven't played all of the games you mentioned but I know enough about them to get what your saying.  I appreciate your honest more than a simple 3 paragraph summary review that you find on the internet.

I am going to be starting this game tomorrow.  I also have never played TLOU, but I did just get done with Man of Medan and am 1 playthrough away from finishing Beyond Two Souls so I was hoping for more action and not a cutscene driven game.  I hope I enjoy it but...if what you say is true it is what it is.  

Thanks again for a well thought out review.