My review for Horizon Zero Dawn and its trophies + NG+ Ultra Hard Trophies - An easy Plat but a kinda lacklustre game overall - Optimistic for the Sequel

coolwali

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 1:23 AM, mysticmosh said:

I just found this game repetitive garbage. Nice to look at, but just hide from mech, attack mech, kill mech...rinse, repeat. Even the story missions were awful. Gave up after about 5 hours or so, so maybe my point isn't accurate, but to me the game is bad and if I could wipe it from my psn account I would.

I wouldn't go so far as to call this game garbage, but I have been extremely disappointed after finally getting around to playing it.  Picked it up while it was free on PSN and have heard great things about it.  I'm hoping it's just because I'm still early on in the game, but I am not finding it very engaging.  I was planning to play this as my last PS4 game before switching over to PS5, but now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't even started.  Not sure if I'll actually get around to finishing this one.

• Like 1

On 14.1.2021 at 10:23 AM, mysticmosh said:

I just found this game repetitive garbage. Nice to look at, but just hide from mech, attack mech, kill mech...rinse, repeat. Even the story missions were awful. Gave up after about 5 hours or so, so maybe my point isn't accurate, but to me the game is bad and if I could wipe it from my psn account I would.

Your point isn't accurate.

I wasn't a fan of Aloy. The best thing I enjoyed about this game was some of machines you went up against. It was mostly your typical open world experience of finding collectibles, upgrading gear, advancing the story so more areas would be unlocked, and doing some of the side content.

• Like 1

Favorite PS4 game period. I can see why people say Aloy is a "Mary Sue," but I personally disagree (personally the biggest Mary Sue in the game is Dr. Soebeck, as it seems she just literally makes everything perfect). She did not start out loved by everyone who knew her; she had to earn it. Even when she did earn it there were still people who did not want to acknowledge her. Granted, it happens within the first few hours of the game, but the game shows AND tells us that she trained her whole life to just be acknowledged by her people. In fact, when the Nora start trying to worship her after she comes back from behind the door, she flat out rejects them and tells them to piss off! She also is not perfect, as she ends up getting caught and placed in a situation she really could not have escaped by herself. She most likely would have died if she did not have external help. It definitely would have been super plot armor if she made it out of there by herself, no matter how they would have done it. By the end of the story she basically sets out to explore and learn more of the world, which is what the game truly does best. Each of the 4 main locations are all different from each other, and definitely encourage you to go exploring to see what it all looks like. There's a desert, a snow forest, and even a rain forest! The forests look untouched by whatever happened here! Everybody has seen a post-apocalyptic game or movie where everything has gone to hell, but here the hell already passed. Grass has grown back, trees are fully grown, and there even is normal wildlife living alongside the robotic wildlife. The big question is "what happened leading to this?" which does get answered and is revealed as the bits and pieces finally come together all the way until the last piece of information is given which is a very shocking reveal. The gameplay is also really diverse. Sure, you're always shooting arrows at the machines, but that is oversimplifying it. What arrow type are you using? Trying to freeze the robot to where it makes the entire body vulnerable? Use the ice arrows. Wanna simply brute force your way through the machine and tear it to shreds? Use the hardpoint arrows. Does that robot have a big gun on its back? Shoot the sucker off, pick it up and spam it, it will save you resources too! You could stick with one way to play or just use the best strategies to kill each enemy the entire game, but that is on you; the game is not forcing you to play that way. 

The game is not prefect though. The facial animations still kinda creep me out for some reason ? maybe they are too realistic? A few of the side quests are pretty unremarkable, as I can barely remember some. Aloy LOVES to talk about everything she does, which gets annoying SUPER fast. While the limited fast travel is a good idea as it incentivizes actually traveling to the areas and possibly exploring areas you would not have seen had you fast traveled, you hold too few fast travel bags, which made me feel like staying maxed out of them in my inventory and I only used them when I REALLY did not feel like manually traveling to my destination. Furthermore, when you unlock unlimited fast travel, you now only want to use it. While that means less time is wasted running around mountains, that means more time looking at the same loading screen with the same hints you've read a hundred times. Yay.

Certainly not a perfect game, but it is an amazing one nevertheless. Before playing it, I had never heard anything about it, and if I had I honestly would not have been interested at the time. I was completely blind going into this game, and I am glad I was, as I enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn so much. If you do not feel the same way, that is perfectly fine. I'm not going to bash you if you think it does not live up to the hype, is simply mediocre or absolutely hate it (though I may seriously have to question you on that lol) as we all have different opinions and we are entitled to them. Regardless of how you feel, I am glad you at least played through the game to the end ?

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

This is the second game of this genre to try out (first was Days gone) and was also impressed by it, I mean they are making them so beautiful! My experience was mostly positive so I agree with most points mentioned here.

I do believe Aloy was a bit too much, everyone just is in awe with anything she does ? I mean her basic trait is that she is an outcast, but outside Mother's region it's a bit of a moo point, since it doesn't matter. Also, almost all Nora are a bunch of fakes in the end, since they all end up talking to her and asking her help haha. Story was mostly fine, had it's bad moments as well, like all of them I guess, some of the side missions added a nice depth to it, like the King's family, or Olin's one etc. But damn, half of them were just 'follow that trail - scan - repeat' (neat to have the tracks revealed outside of scan though). Sylens was an interesting character, and dunno why, but just by the sound of his voice, was expecting him to turn bad at some point (which he didn't do, yet...)

World is a wonder, a nice combination of different feels to it, with the desert, the forest, the mountains. Combat was cool, most of the time, am amazed with the variety of weapons and ammunition, and how each one may be suitable for different situations. One thing that confused me was the monster level, I mean I never noticed a difference when battling a lvl 20 scorcher vs a lvl 38 one, me being level 50 for example, seemed they'd give me the same trouble, or that a lvl 15 charger would give me more trouble than a lvl 38 watcher (dunno if there was actually, just an example), wasn't helping me understand if I was ever under-geared or not.

Dunno if mounting was possible in the main game or was a DLC addition, but it's completely horrendous! I was more often frustrated than not. I didn't mind that it was 'magically' coming from somewhere, makes it more 'realistic', but damn, make it stop where I am, not 5/10/20 meters away. If I have to wait for it, and then go to it, what's the point...and the controls, ohh so bad. Firstly, why have different 'gears', just give it an accelerate button and a stop one. And secondly, the times it just stops because there is a small inclination and the poor thing can't cross it...ffs realy, ended up preferring walking than dealing with that.

I liked what they did with the jumping, being automatic, although it does look super weird; let's make a 2 meter jump, I'll jump high but then suddenly stop because I need to grab that haha. Still prefer that to the usual 'wanna go left? ok I'll jump straight ahead instead' die and restart checkpoint till it eventually makes the jump you want. And since it's more of an exploration game, it was just perfect to have it this way.

Also, that; exploration games, love that these kind of games have those trophy lists, yes it's 'easy' but it lets you focus solely on enjoying the game, taking it to your own pace, do whatever you want without the stress of missing something. Though being those kind of games, I don't get why they join in to this trend of having NG+ trophies. The entire point is to explore, discover etc blablabla. Once done, it's not the same. I mean my second run did actually seem like a chore more than anything.

P.s. For Rost!

I don't understand people. "Oh, this game uses the same formula as several others although it's technically good" so when something like Death Stranding tries to dare and innovate, I see people massively attacking?‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, flugurnarrr said:

I'll be honest, I have been trying to plat this game for years and every time I play it I get so BORED. I'm not even past the first 5 or 6 missions because it's just not intriguing to me. 

I wouldn't say the story is boring, but it's definitely not engaging. The gameplay, however, is top notch. I adore the flexibility of the character's movement. It is smooth. :)

Good to read someone who has the same opinions about this game as I do! It looks great, but really it's just a standard issue sandbox. Assassin's Creed with robots! I played through it and will probably go back to get the 100% but I've never understood why this game is so highly rated. It consistently comes out as one of the best games on the PS4 but I just found it to be highly derivative. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...