Micro transactions and grind

Romikot84

i've actually just got pissed at the game for the final time and deleted it, because of the grind. first off, i despise the game , but the grind makes it unbearable. i finished al main missions and was level 41 and now after doing 2 shadow war and almost all outpost clear ups, im at 45, just barely. this isn't even high enough to match the next shadow war with all lvl 45 orcs in my defense, which is  boring as sin to farm their level. the other two have orcs in the mid 50's. i can't imagine hw painful that grind would be. so to answer you question, no microtransactions and the grind is a fucking obnoxious ♥, especially if you dislike the game. to put it in perspective, a friend who did the game when they had loot boxes finished the game a few hou7rs before me and was level 62 cuz of the xp boosts he had gotten. 

By the time I finished the main campaign and all side quests as well as 100% the DLC's I was in the high fifties/ low sixties level wise. This was when I went back to finish the Shadow Wars and got some super powered orcs from completing the DLC's which helped me immensely in Act 4 as well as with the Captain rank trophy. Post patch I think are only 8 sieges to do and only the last one was truly challenging - had to do it 3 times, darn Captain olog. Ulog? I can't remember, the big ugly brutes that aren't cavetrolls lol.

32 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

By the time I finished the main campaign and all side quests as well as 100% the DLC's I was in the high fifties/ low sixties level wise. This was when I went back to finish the Shadow Wars and got some super powered orcs from completing the DLC's which helped me immensely in Act 4 as well as with the Captain rank trophy. Post patch I think are only 8 sieges to do and only the last one was truly challenging - had to do it 3 times, darn Captain olog. Ulog? I can't remember, the big ugly brutes that aren't cavetrolls lol.

the dlc gives you xp towards your main story save?

Yep, as someone who played the game at the start and in current version, there is a HUGE difference. It's nowhere near as grindy and obtaining chest is much simpler, dare I say even fun. The Act 4 siege wars has been reduce to like half and you don't need to battle overpowered captains or train endlessly your orc captains to match the invading army. I swear to this day, there were some cheap moves that would kill my character instantly and the developers put it there on purpose lol. 

I still hate some of the story retcons they did in the story as a big LOTR fan, but the gameplay is much more fun now and I wish this was the version we got, cause the previous one almost made me hate the game entirely. 

1 hour ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

the dlc gives you xp towards your main story save?

I don't believe so but it got me some super strong orcs that were my level when I opened the chests. I must have died more than you during the campaign to  be so much further than you level wise or I faffed about a lot more.

1 hour ago, da-Noob123 said:

I don't believe so but it got me some super strong orcs that were my level when I opened the chests. I must have died more than you during the campaign to  be so much further than you level wise or I faffed about a lot more.

Dang, I redownloaded the game hoping I’d continue leveling. I’ve just got so much leveling left with no effective measures, I can’t be fucked.

50 minutes ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

Dang, I redownloaded the game hoping I’d continue leveling. I’ve just got so much leveling left with no effective measures, I can’t be fucked.

Level 41 is abt right without grinding, but enemies usually scale with you, so even levelling, they will just level more. The harder fortresses/sieges have much higher Captains because they are just that, more difficult ones!! 

Im just platinuming again for a 2nd time as im running for a Platinum Speedrun guide (NO MISSABLES TROPHIES BTW) and honestly, defending is MUCH HARDER tham attacking

So my go to is to first begin the defence, then die to lose the fort, then attack it SOLO

Having allies, unless you grind a bit to get them really tough, just become a pita as your constantly running around reviving them and then you get annoyed as you spent mirian on it

SHADOW PULL is great for pulling ONE captain away, getting a beat down on him then do it for the next and so on

There is a skill that gives elf shot back on domination, this is grreat for the SHADOW PULL build. 

Great thing about attacking is no time limit as well!! 

Did you try the shadow pull after i mentioned it before?? 

Edited by Optinooby

5 hours ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

i've actually just got pissed at the game for the final time and deleted it, because of the grind. 

You clearly did something wrong then. By the time I only had shadow war left I was almost level 50. In addition to that you can take on orcs that are up to 20 levels higher than yourself, I played on nemesis all the way and managed to do it. I never once felt the need to grind to beat the new shadow war system.

Edited by xDerErnst

4 hours ago, MarcusPunisher said:

I still hate some of the story retcons they did in the story as a big LOTR fan, but the gameplay is much more fun now and I wish this was the version we got, cause the previous one almost made me hate the game entirely. 

Could you elaborate please Marcus because I have read The Hobbit, all of the LOTRs books, The Silmarillion and some of The Lost Tales (which I didn't really care about that much so gave up).

I thought all of the happenings in Shadow of War were at least plausible, bearing in mind that the LOTR and Silmarillion are sequels/expansions of the world after Tolkien achieved commercial success from The Hobbit. Celebrimbor is almost an insignificant character in The Silmarillion, yet he was the greatest artisan of his age, and is absolutely central to the story of all three works, so to see his story come to life was amazing. 

Talion becomes a Ring Wraith but everything makes sense. Did you mean retcon? So much of the detail is missing from Tolkien himself that I think these games are absolutely fine from a lore perspective. I thought they were rather fitting personally.

The Silmarillion is amazing, if anyone hasn't read it. It's basically like The Bible for Middle Earth - from the origins of God, the creation of angels and devils, spirits, archangels (Gandalf is one of these), demi-gods , etc. The story of Lúthien and Beren is the most beautiful story I have ever read. I'm a 210 pound+, six foot+ man who works out and I'm made of steel, but that story makes me cry every time I read it. :) 

51 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

defending is MUCH HARDER tham attacking

100% agree. I never won a single defence in the game, but won 100% of attacks. Bought the game, and got the Plat, after micro itransactions were ripped out if it helps.

Edited by baboon_overlord

40 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Level 41 is abt right without grinding, but enemies usually scale with you, so even levelling, they will just level more. The harder fortresses/sieges have much higher Captains because they are just that, more difficult ones!! 

Im just platinuming again for a 2nd time as im running for a Platinum Speedrun guide (NO MISSABLES TROPHIES BTW) and honestly, defending is MUCH HARDER tham attacking

So my go to is to first begin the defence, then die to lose the fort, then attack it SOLO

Having allies, unless you grind a bit to get them really tough, just become a pita as your constantly running around reviving them and then you get annoyed as you spent mirian on it

SHADOW PULL is great for pulling ONE captain away, getting a beat down on him then do it for the next and so on

There is a skill that gives elf shot back on domination, this is grreat for the SHADOW PULL build. 

Great thing about attacking is no time limit as well!! 

Did you try the shadow pull after i mentioned it before?? 

couldn't get it working before, but ik have now. and i really like it. so you LOSE the shadow war defense, then can attack with nothing in your slots and its easier than defending w/ a full team? 

35 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

100% agree. I never won a single defence in the game, but won 100% of attacks. Bought the game, and got the Plat, after micro itransactions were ripped out if it helps.

Think that was me to, lol, I would get SOO close sometimes and then all of a sudden just get destroyed, ive learnt to just leave mission/attack now xD

Im curious with the micros, I guess they could made it so could have made every1 legendary if you had the cash back then!! 

26 minutes ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

couldn't get it working before, but ik have now. and i really like it. so you LOSE the shadow war defense, then can attack with nothing in your slots and its easier than defending w/ a full team? 

If you are on a narrow path, like a thin frame or raised roof edge, them it wont work because a enemy cant stand there, in those case it will ZIP YOU TO THEM, it can also sometimes happen if you're standing in a wierd place. 

As long as you are in a suitable spot, enemis will come to you as long as you hold the button, exceot for Ologs and Arrow Proofs! Always use triangle for the daze and even if a enemy is arrow proof, if you can daze them, then you can you a arrow on them during the daze as a daze removes immunities!! 

If you begin a defence, then leave mission, it reveals all the attacking forces weaknesses for next time ;), dont lose, just options > leave mission > abandon as soon aa you get chance, its quicker

I dunno why defence is so hard with multiple followers, but attacking is easy solo? Im not quite if it was balanced right without micros. I mean before, one could just make every1 legendary, give them an elite team and a caragor and element weapon by just spending money, sure that what make it easy with every1 legend with best stuff.

But now without micros, our teams are just bad unless we grind for hours or get lucky! 

But for the attack, yea go in completely solo otherwise your team will get all missed up and upset you xD

Then once you get in the fort, find a giid vantage point high up, you will need to experiment a bit, but usually high up means the enemy has no pathing up there so no others will follow you there all busy guarding capture points anyway! 

Them just pull each up 1 by 1!!

Double execution bar does great dmg btw, the ground combo is great for building might. You can stunlock with freeze if you hit a few times, pause, hit a few times, pause etc. You can pin, use knifee, use wraith blade, element epven light. I usually just stick to Ground finishers, executions, freezing vault!! 

Those Captain with a shield and immune to vaulting, their is always a way around it, just dont forget the wraith blade, sometimea i run iut of options and all of a sudden remember that and it works

The ringwraith set is quite good btw when soloing forts, along with a red perfect gem in your ring slot. 

When you capture a point, if you use raise dead skill, you can you resurrect all those the capture explosion just killed and you get the tonnes of strong followers from it!! 

Perfect Gems btw, when farm spot of choice is running around a fortress with the gem skill active and just looking for white enemies and use brutalise on them with the brutalise more upgrade. 

Some Ologs sometimes appear white btw, and they will drop 1000 mirian or a 2nd to last rarest gem!!! 

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Think that was me to, lol, I would get SOO close sometimes and then all of a sudden just get destroyed, ive learnt to just leave mission/attack now xD

Im curious with the micros, I guess they could made it so could have made every1 legendary if you had the cash back then!! 

If you are on a narrow path, like a thin frame or raised roof edge, them it wont work because a enemy cant stand there, in those case it will ZIP YOU TO THEM, it can also sometimes happen if you're standing in a wierd place. 

As long as you are in a suitable spot, enemis will come to you as long as you hold the button, exceot for Ologs and Arrow Proofs! Always use triangle for the daze and even if a enemy is arrow proof, if you can daze them, then you can you a arrow on them during the daze as a daze removes immunities!! 

If you begin a defence, then leave mission, it reveals all the attacking forces weaknesses for next time ;), dont lose, just options > leave mission > abandon as soon aa you get chance, its quicker

I dunno why defence is so hard with multiple followers, but attacking is easy solo? Im not quite if it was balanced right without micros. I mean before, one could just make every1 legendary, give them an elite team and a caragor and element weapon by just spending money, sure that what make it easy with every1 legend with best stuff.

But now without micros, our teams are just bad unless we grind for hours or get lucky! 

But for the attack, yea go in completely solo otherwise your team will get all missed up and upset you xD

Then once you get in the fort, find a giid vantage point high up, you will need to experiment a bit, but usually high up means the enemy has no pathing up there so no others will follow you there all busy guarding capture points anyway! 

Them just pull each up 1 by 1!!

Double execution bar does great dmg btw, the ground combo is great for building might. You can stunlock with freeze if you hit a few times, pause, hit a few times, pause etc. You can pin, use knifee, use wraith blade, element epven light. I usually just stick to Ground finishers, executions, freezing vault!! 

Those Captain with a shield and immune to vaulting, their is always a way around it, just dont forget the wraith blade, sometimea i run iut of options and all of a sudden remember that and it works

The ringwraith set is quite good btw when soloing forts, along with a red perfect gem in your ring slot. 

When you capture a point, if you use raise dead skill, you can you resurrect all those the capture explosion just killed and you get the tonnes of strong followers from it!! 

Perfect Gems btw, when farm spot of choice is running around a fortress with the gem skill active and just looking for white enemies and use brutalise on them with the brutalise more upgrade. 

Some Ologs sometimes appear white btw, and they will drop 1000 mirian or a 2nd to last rarest gem!!! 

dude, that quitting defense worked a fucking treat. the shadow pulls on the re-attack makes it a joke. ho9nestly mate, thats saved me so much exploding anger and frustration! just realized you are the one who did the vampyr guide that i used. you've great tips on multiple games now! cheers :D

49 minutes ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

dude, that quitting defense worked a fucking treat. the shadow pulls on the re-attack makes it a joke. ho9nestly mate, thats saved me so much exploding anger and frustration! just realized you are the one who did the vampyr guide that i used. you've great tips on multiple games now! cheers :D

Well glad its a lot simpler, im with ya that those fort battles can get right on ya nerves!! 

I like to fight with honour, 1 v 1, I will teach my orcs the same ;)

Oh nice 1, thanka for following that, im currently giving this the same treatment, this is just taking longer to get it ready to record as lots to experiment with, think will start uploading next week ;)

I experiment myself to find out what i think works best, I dont like to just copy what others say as sometimes things get missed like this, just crazy guides state that there are missable trophies but there have been no missable trophies since late 2017 xD

Nuff nonsense ;), so platinum is in sight for you now m8, makes you wonder what the hardest difficulty is like doesnt it easy can be hard!! 

Was there any trophies you had trouble with, as I know some of the misc trophies can be a pain?? There are EASY ways for the kill dragon while on graug, kill captain while riding Olog, ride all caragors and use all bait. 

We're going for a 10-15 hr platinum for my SoW guide btw ;)

Edited by Optinooby

14 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Well glad its a lot simpler, im with ya that those fort battles can get right on ya nerves!! 

I like to fight with honour, 1 v 1, I will teach my orcs the same ;)

Oh nice 1, thanka for following that, im currently giving this the same treatment, this is just taking longer to get it ready to record as lots to experiment with, think will start uploading next week ;)

I experiment myself to find out what i think works best, I dont like to just copy what others say as sometimes things get missed like this, just crazy guides state that there are missable trophies but there have been no missable trophies since late 2017 xD

Nuff nonsense ;), so platinum is in sight for you now m8, makes you wonder what the hardest difficulty is like doesnt it easy can be hard!! 

Was there any trophies you had trouble with, as I know some of the misc trophies can be a pain?? There are EASY ways for the kill dragon while on graug, kill captain while riding Olog, ride all caragors and use all bait. 

We're going for a 10-15 hr platinum for my SoW guide btw ;)

i'll keep an eye out for the uploads, mate. the comedy is good in the videos too.  all trophies have popped ok for me so far. i've not done the trolling one, but i saw there is an easy way in some map to do it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

Could you elaborate please Marcus because I have read The Hobbit, all of the LOTRs books, The Silmarillion and some of The Lost Tales (which I didn't really care about that much so gave up).

I thought all of the happenings in Shadow of War were at least plausible, bearing in mind that the LOTR and Silmarillion are sequels/expansions of the world after Tolkien achieved commercial success from The Hobbit. Celebrimbor is almost an insignificant character in The Silmarillion, yet he was the greatest artisan of his age, and is absolutely central to the story of all three works, so to see his story come to life was amazing.

there are a lot of things broken in the game lorewise. Mainly the creation of the rings of power, the fact that a new ring exists at all, the time of events doesn't add up (like the fall of minas ithil), the portrayal of shelob and celebrimbor, the story in itself makes no sense overall. however it's not bothering me at all. I'm not a hardcore tolkien fan and can look past this issues because i absolutely love this game. it's the same like the force unleashed I see them more like a extremely well made fanfiction than an expansion to the official lore.

• Like 1

I found it a bit grindy/samey in the final chapter but that was more due to the main game letting you get by with level 30ish orcs and then them needing to be 50ish for Shadow Wars. Plus, defending against 6 attacking warchiefs and then their bodyguards was not fun when you've got to do it 3-4 times in a row.

Still, I'm thankful it's no longer 25 and doubley thankful the microtransactions went ages ago. That would go from a slight grind to a massive slog if they were still in.

Despite the fact they rebalanced Act 4 and removed microtransactions, it's clear Shadow Wars was designed as a virtually never-ending conflict to entice people to buy more currency etc. I'm half way through Shadow Wars and money is an issue. Given I've completed all side quests, killed every white enemy I've come across, and sold all my old gear and only purchased necessary things, I still feel short, which is a clue the game was designed to do that.

So yes, the grind is less versus the original build of the game, but Act 4 is very much, at its core, a grind.

EDIT: I just got the plat and completed the first DLC and I have to say, this is one of those games where I feel I'm just doing the same thing over and over and over, hoping the randomness of the nemesis system is in my favour to speed trophies up. I got unlucky with thing like Trolling and No Orc Left Behind because the random nemesis system kept working against me. You know a game was a grind when you utter "Oh thank Christ" when the plat pops and you have no immediate desire to play the rest of the DLC. I seem to remember really enjoying Shadow of Mordor, glad I didn't pay money for SoW.

Edited by P_Pigly_Hogswine