talespagni

So, how's the campaign?

22 posts in this topic

Only done a couple of missions but looks great so far, like the fact you can do side missions and also how you can set up your profile to what sort of person you are like being a professional or a phycopath and then receiving perks for your selected traits.  

My favorite Call of Duty campaign by far, for the same reason as the first reply.

Quite honestly, didn't enjoy it at all.

Didn't care about the characters, the story itself wasn't particularly engaging and I just failed to connect to it at all. The dialogue especially was atrocious. Compared to last year's MW where I truly cared for each and every character they presented to you, this one just felt so lifeless. The new mechanics and level designs were interesting, but felt half baked and kinda thrown in. In my opinion you could absolutely tell this was a game that had a direction shift mid-development (as was widely reported). This clearly wasn't always a Black Ops game, Mason and Woods are just thrown in and serve no purpose to the story whatsoever. This game just seemed a perfect example of "different does not mean 'good'".

I am truly glad to see other people are enjoying it, but this one wasn't for me.

Also spoiler thoughts:

Spoiler

Literally what was the point of those side missions? They do NOTHING for the story, at all. There's only two, and they're quite worthless. Solving the associated evidence riddles in the menus was far more enjoyable than the actual side missions.

Also, that mission inside Bell's head...it's literally just Stanley Parable, PT and Bioshock thrown together, but all worse? :/ I dunno, I feel like I'm just being mean now

It doesn't come close to being as good as black ops 1 and black ops 3 campaign, but way better than black ops 2 campaign. It's fun but that's about it.

Overall, I give it a 8.5/10 and I enjoyed it. SPOILERS HEAD

Black Ops 1 was iconic with the assassination of fake Castro, brainwashing, biochemical weapons, missile launches, napalms & Vietnam, interrogations, it had everything and it was all-out action.

Black Ops 2 since it was futuristic - I didn't feel like it was that great (not that anything was wrong with the story, it was just more personal preference and didnt have as many iconic moments) but it was still good (FYI: multiplayer was the best cod)

Spoiler

BOCW had a nice change of pace from BO1 where it wasn't about all-out action, it was the other side of the Cold War era which is about intelligence and spying chasing enemies that may or may not exist, leaking information on both sides, even though the stealth mechanics weren't that advanced and were pretty basic, it fit into the story and it was not clunky or anything.

I enjoyed the different dialogue options but I wish they would have done voice over for each of the options and recorded the lines for different paths afterwards, there were moments where it just didn't connect as well because the character wasn't speaking.

I think one of the other comments did have a valid criticism, the 2 optional missions (even after collecting evidence and breaking the spy ring and the 3 sleeper agents), it just didn't integrate with the overall story that well. It does feel a bit disconnected with you and Adler doing one thing and meanwhile Woods and Mason and just thrown in there for nastalgia purposes doing their own thing with these side missions and just regroup together for the final mission. So in a way, it kinda felt like the MW campaign series where Task Force 141 are doing their thing, and the US Navy Seals or US Army Rangers are doing their own thing and they communicate a bit but overall nobody cared about the US Navy Seals or Rangers anyway and everyone cared about the Task Force 141 with Price/Soap.

This time I felt like I didn't care about Mason/Woods since they didn't do a good job at integrating them for the reasons mentioned above.

It's really good. It'd give the campaign a solid 7, About the same quality as MW 2019 campaign, except the style went from 2010's action movie to 80's action movie 😃

Spoiler free: The variety of missions is fantastic, in very first two hours or so, you go from chasing suspect on Amsterdam rooftops, to assaulting a cargo plane trying to take off, after that it's flashback mission from Vietnam and then you're back in 80's sneaking around East Berlin. Desperate Measures is not only the best mission in the game, but easily in top 10 missions of all Call of Duty games for me, I'd like to hype it up a bit but it's best that you play it and experience yourself. Gunplay feels fine, some people may call it downgrade from MW but I like that they kept the feel of older, more arcade CoD titles. Story is... alright I guess, there is pretty good twist but the core plot about Perseus is a bit lackluster. New characters are pretty cool, except for Russel Adler, he's extremely cool. There are also two sidemissions that if you want to fully complete, you have to solve a puzzle for which you need to find evidence in main missions, which makes this the first Call of Duty where collectibles aren't completely meaningless waste of time. And a few times during the campaign you are able to walk around the safehouse, which works as a hub, and observe and talk to your teammates, which doesn't give you much, but it's a nice touch and makes the game feel a bit more real.

Spoilers ahoy:

Spoiler

The only problem I have is the story, especially the choices and the endings. First of all, the whole plot is about soviet agent Perseus plotting to use a american nuke(s) on European soil. That's all. There is no twist or big reveal about Perseus, in the end you will either stop him or not. The "Reznov moment" of this game is finding out that playe's character "Bell" is actually Perseus' comrade brainwashed by CIA to help them find him. Then in the end, you can choose to either help Americans stop the launch of the nukes or side with Perseus and kill your entire team (including Woods and Mason), which is pretty awesome, but neither choice doesn't really make sense when you think about it. You have fake memories of working with CIA and you were told that you actually worked with Perseus, so whether you choose to side with CIA or Perseus, it's not YOUR choice. Help Americans stop Perseus means that their brainwashing was succesful, since that was not your original intent. They lied to you and used you and erased everything you believed in. On the other hand, helping Perseus is illogical choice fom the player's point, you spend the whole game trying to stop him, and even though your memories are fake, there is still no point in suddenly siding with him (unless you are really into holding grudges). You might have agreed with him before, but that's completely moot point now, because you are whole new person whether you like it or not. Much better choice would be finding out the truth AFTER stopping Perseus and then choose either to accept new identity, turn against your "allies" or maybe just walk away.

The game also pretends that your other, smaller choices matter, which is a lie. I remember how great the choices and options how to finish the game were in Black Ops 2. Now all they do is slightly change the final recap of events, and no matter which ending you picked, who you killed, who you saved and if you finished the two side missions, in the end you will either hear "...and they lived happily ever after" or Jeremy Clarkson's "Oh no! Anyway...". It's not a major flaw, but I expected more.

But despite all that, I enjoyed the game and can recommend it if it's your cup of tea.

On 13/11/2020 at 7:36 PM, MinatoIsDeadLol said:

It is my favorite cod campaign so far, there is so much diversity, and different styles of gameplay unheard of from the COD series, collectibles are really interesting how they were implemented. Honestly the best part of the game

nice! unlike most, for me the campaign is always more fun than multiplayer

Slightly off-topic but I just started my disc game and after struggling with some annoying Activision login/signup crap I found that I had to request the campaign as a free download install. Somehow it said it was Campaign 1. So I played Amsterdam and Turkey and am now at the safe house. I think I'm supposed to go to Vietnam next but it's telling me that is not installed!? I have a "partial install" for solo. How can that be with a $60 retail game? Where is the rest? So no, it's not enjoyable for me, but for other reasons than the content itself.

1 hour ago, martinlastbandit said:

Slightly off-topic but I just started my disc game and after struggling with some annoying Activision login/signup crap I found that I had to request the campaign as a free download install. Somehow it said it was Campaign 1. So I played Amsterdam and Turkey and am now at the safe house. I think I'm supposed to go to Vietnam next but it's telling me that is not installed!? I have a "partial install" for solo. How can that be with a $60 retail game? Where is the rest? So no, it's not enjoyable for me, but for other reasons than the content itself.

Somehow you're missing campaign 2 and 3. Not sure how since you have a the disc version it should all be there

On 11/14/2020 at 0:59 PM, Conssumed said:

It doesn't come close to being as good as black ops 1 and black ops 3 campaign, but way better than black ops 2 campaign. It's fun but that's about it.

black ops 3's campaign was a bumbling and confusing mess that treyarch threw together in all their 'high intelligence' thinking serving no links to the previous games or therefore purpose to be named a game from the black ops franchise, closest we got was a mention of menendez's name once 

1 hour ago, Kulzyc said:

Somehow you're missing campaign 2 and 3. Not sure how since you have a the disc version it should all be there

I will check again tomorrow. I didn't expect this to be so heavily focused on Multiplayer. But Campaign as a sliced-up add-on (albeit free)? 

2 and 3 now appeared in the store after selecting File Management. But that is crazy, it's taking another 30GB or so.

I hope Reagan will tell some good soviet jokes.

Edited by Swithop

Does the campaign support co-op, or is it single player only? Just curious as my son and I like to do the missions together if possible.

5 hours ago, Swotam said:

Does the campaign support co-op, or is it single player only? Just curious as my son and I like to do the missions together if possible.

Single player

Realism difficulty says it's the "The ultimate test" and "Enemies are lethal with deadly accuracy".

Now, in the prolouge mission this guy charged me with a shotgun up-close on the rooftops and missed me twice in a row. In the "Red Circus" side mission about three or four assholes flanked me while I was behind cover at Building 4, taking turns emptying magazines at me. It was funny actually. Guess some AIs didn't get the memo about being "deadly accurate".

Edited by Swithop