[Poll]: How old are we here @ PSNProfiles?

Silverbackmethod

How old are you?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• < 10
    • 10 - 19
    • 20 - 29
    • 30 - 39
    • 40 - 49
    • 50 - 59
    • 60 - 70
    • > 70

7 hours ago, I-Reaped-U said:

Elderly is 65 or older. There’s no “interpretation” whatsoever. Calling people in their 40’s or 50’s “elderly” is childish. 

I'm sorry what. I think you actually need to read the thread, what are you talking about?

I'm 46, one of the old guys, started with the Commodore 64 and Horace Goes Skiing.

My history:

Commodore 64 > Commodore Amiga > Super Nintendo > 3DO > Playstation 1 > Playstation 2 > Playstation 3 > Playstation 4

I'm not sure why people think that older people are offended by being called older, really, you don't need to be offended all the time at what you think other people should be offended at.

Currently 46 with a few months to go until 47. Not quite to the point of yelling at kids to stay off my lawn, but I feel it more physically every passing year.

Mentally though I'm an absolute man-child. Pretty sure I have that Peter Pan syndrome.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:07 PM, FawltyPowers said:

I'm 46, one of the old guys, started with the Commodore 64 and Horace Goes Skiing.

My history:

Commodore 64 > Commodore Amiga > Super Nintendo > 3DO > Playstation 1 > Playstation 2 > Playstation 3 > Playstation 4

I'm not sure why people think that older people are offended by being called older, really, you don't need to be offended all the time at what you think other people should be offended at.

You must have been rich :)

2600>NES>Amiga>Megadrive> And then everything that has been available except 3D0 because it was like $100000.00

• 1 year later...

I think it's the act of trophy hunting that causes the site to be older on average. It comes from an older mentality when there weren't as many games available and so completing them was more common as they were fewer and further between. Now, that mindset has extended to a tangible item showing you have completed a game, which is a pretty addictive thing to chase after.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 5:44 PM, csand670 said:

I think it's the act of trophy hunting that causes the site to be older on average. It comes from an older mentality when there weren't as many games available and so completing them was more common as they were fewer and further between. Now, that mindset has extended to a tangible item showing you have completed a game, which is a pretty addictive thing to chase after.

Interesting point. It does seem like younger gamers are more into the free to play and PvP games. I'd be curious to know how this poll tracks with the general demographics for gaming. My initial thought was that the site is older because the generation that grew up with gaming is now also getting older. So the demographics for older age groups will continue to trend upwards with each subsequent generation of consoles.

I'm 32. I started gaming during the N64 and PS1 era. 360 is when I really got invested into gaming because of achievements which motivated me to complete games. I played very little last generation but the PS5 and trophies have sparked my interest again.

The voting options aren't particularly smart since the age constantly changes. The year of birth, however, doesn't.

I was born in 1983. A year that almost ended the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

Thanks to Stanislav Petrov we're still here.

Edited by R4M Razr
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 1:59 AM, Nebnit said:

You're too young for this dumpster diving.

He’s practically a college age kid. 

On 8/31/2022 at 2:44 PM, csand670 said:

At 34 years old I was one of the last kids to fall under this mentality. 

Most people I talk to who played NES, SNES era games are at least 5 - 10 years older than me. Was far too young for Atari. Too young for Commodore 64. Too young for the first Apple computer. That’s stuff for James Rolfe aka the Angry Video Game Nerd and MetalJesusRocks, who is in his 50s. 

I talk to younger Millennials and they did not get into the gaming scene until the mid - late 2000s, by which point the Xbox 360 and PS3 era was well underway. 

I also find young people in their late teens to early - mid 20s to have far lower attention spans in contrast to people like us. There’s far more options then there was 20 - 30 years ago. Got to get those dopamine hits on TikTok and Instagram. 

On 9/4/2022 at 10:14 AM, plafix68 said:

Interesting point. It does seem like younger gamers are more into the free to play and PvP games. I'd be curious to know how this poll tracks with the general demographics for gaming. My initial thought was that the site is older because the generation that grew up with gaming is now also getting older. So the demographics for older age groups will continue to trend upwards with each subsequent generation of consoles.

I'm 32. I started gaming during the N64 and PS1 era. 360 is when I really got invested into gaming because of achievements which motivated me to complete games. I played very little last generation but the PS5 and trophies have sparked my interest again.

You were 15 back then when the 360 era started so you probably worked a job or two. 

The PS2 era was the ‘golden age of gaming’ for me because that was when gaming developers were largely leaving the experimental stage that plagued the PS1 and N64 era. However, there was still enough creativity to create awesome hidden gems and the corporate executives weren’t too invested into gaming. 

I recently watched old God of War and Ratchet & Clank interviews from the early 2000s. You can just tell how passionate the developers were. Same with Blizzard. They were still passionate because they made Warcraft 3 and later released World of Warcraft, which as we both know, introduced a lot of people to MMOs. 

Nowadays, Blizzard is a hellscape, thanks to sexual harassment among workers and now they’re under the helm of Microsoft.