Where do you get your anime from?

LoveInHell

I’m tired of watching anime online, bumping into “site is down”, bad connection, popup ads (also inappropriate ones!) and not finding the right version to watch.

I have decided to buy anime blu-rays, that would solve all of the annoying issues and it seems like a nice thing to collect.

Now, when I look up where to buy anime it shows popular sites/stores that are REALLY expensive. The prices don’t even make sense. A movie costs the same as a full season like €35-40 and higher. Are these prices normal? For example Claymore on blu-ray I saw for €130.

Are there any stores that sell anime movies and series for cheap, international shipping or a store in Belgium or the Netherlands?

The ones I found so far, and are expensive imo (unless the prices are completely normal) are: Akiba.be, Archonia.com, Zavvi.com and Amazon.com

Amazon charges me like €30-40 shipping fee so I wont use that at all. Also there are many anime that they don’t ship outside of the US.

Archonia has everything that I’m looking for, they have a wide variety of anime but they’re so expensive! :/ Zavvi has a lot but not everything and their search option is inaccurate.

Or I have to realise this is just expensive anyway and thats why people like watching them online?

If you want to see something expensive check out prices of original anime figurines. (Weebs have money) Btw. these are prices of how can i said it multi-episode shows on blu-ray not only anime but things like hbo shows etc. I sadly need to stick with online because 1. pretty pricey 2. cand stand eng dub so i need pl subs and not to much blu-rays got them.

• Like 2

I have two sites I use to get my Anime, these are not streaming sites, you download the Anime to your PC and both sites have everything you'd want, pretty sure I ain't aloud to post them here so PM if you're interested. I do like to support the shows I enjoy by buying the Blu Ray after I watch them, the prices on some of them are quite outrageous, you are right there. 

Edited by Venocide
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Venocide said:

I have two sites I use to get my Anime, these are not streaming sites, you download the Anime to your PC and both sites have everything you'd want, pretty sure I ain't aloud to post them here so PM if you're interested. I do like to support the shows I enjoy by buying the Blu Ray after I watch them, the prices on some of them are quite outrageous, you are right there. 

Oh yeah, downloading anime has crossed my mind but apparently the file sizes are big so you end up having to delete them to download the next. Right?

1 hour ago, LoveInHell said:

I’m tired of watching anime online, bumping into “site is down”, bad connection, popup ads (also inappropriate ones!) and not finding the right version to watch.

If I may ask what sites are you using? I could recommend some if you have been having issues. I usually watch on my phone though, I hate using my PC to watch. To me it seems like everyone sees blurays as a collector's item instead of something to actually watch. Buying blurays would also cost a lot of $ if you plan on watching every show like that.

Edited by Burstawesome

Just now, Burstawesome said:

If I may ask what sites are you using? I could recommend some if you have been having issues. I usually watch on my phone though, I hate using my PC to watch.

I appreciate the help but I don’t want to watch them online anymore. Its just moving and moving, searching constantly. These illegal sites are always uncertain and I’m just done with it.

I recently got Netflix and was excited to watch anime but because of my location it often doesn’t support English subtitles and something not even the language I speak so that made me more determined to *buy* anime.

14 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

I appreciate the help but I don’t want to watch them online anymore. Its just moving and moving, searching constantly. These illegal sites are always uncertain and I’m just done with it.

I recently got Netflix and was excited to watch anime but because of my location it often doesn’t support English subtitles and something not even the language I speak so that made me more determined to *buy* anime.

That's the issue with legal sources. Outside of America the consistency of shows is very limited. Even services like Crunchyroll or Funimation that are all anime still lack international support. Netflix is not bad especially recently with all the support they have been giving to anime, but they still lack a huge library, and unless you're in Japan the library is also bare. If you are looking for consistency, outside of NA it's going to be hard to find. These prices for shows physically that you are saying are also higher than normal, I usually see shows for $20-30, depending on length. Shipping is a different story though. I have many friends outside of NA, and the options are limited. Until the companies expand outside NA.

Edited by Burstawesome

41 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Oh yeah, downloading anime has crossed my mind but apparently the file sizes are big so you end up having to delete them to download the next. Right?

I can tell you about a great site that not only has tons of anime for download, it boasts about having great quality with very small file sizes. PM me if you're interested.

• 9 months later...

I have 2 different anime streaming services, Crunchyroll and Funimation.  Between them I can watch damn near any anime, Crunchyroll is all in Jap with English subtitles but that's totally fine, we've been slowly trying to learn Japanese anyways.  Plus the voice actors are generally alot better (one exception being if your show is graced with the presence of Sean Schemmel and/or Christopher Sabat lol).  Sony owns them both now though and are planning to merge them together and possibly include it with PS Plus+ so I'm excited for that, take 3 subscriptions and turn them into one?  Sign me up!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anime On Line and Anime Limited (both UK-based). These two are the sites I use when it comes to buying anime Blu-rays. Every week, they have deal of the week (where you can get 1-2 products on a discount) and early bird offer (where you can pre-order a product for a lower price). They also have other special campaigns every now and then (summer, Christmas and so).

Edited by MrGarland

i have one website other than the ones already listed that you can stream  anime with decent quality and a decent library size, but its free so hard to complain! i enjoy crunchyroll and funimation but sorry i wont pay to be a subscriber just to watch an episode a little earlier or something, way too expensive for what you get altogether imo

Edited by Atom1cMoose

Thanks for the help everyone. I mainly watch anime on Animixplay now and use Zoro.to as a backup when I (rarely) don’t find something. Both sites have been stable for a long time and they both have no ads, the quality is good.

I buy anime blu-rays from Archonia and come to realise anime (and manga) is simply just expensive, haha. I just ordered something from Amazon.nl for the first time so I hope I can start using that too. :)

3 hours ago, MrGarland said:

Anime On Line and Anime Limited (both UK-based). These two are the sites I use when it comes to buying anime Blu-rays. Every week, they have deal of the week (where you can get 1-2 products on a discount) and early bird offer (where you can pre-order a product for a lower price). They also have other special campaigns every now and then (summer, Christmas and so).

Yeah, unfortunately I kinda have to avoid buying things outside of the EU. Now if I buy something from the UK, I have to pay VAT + customs charges upon arrival (for example: I bought two blu-ray sets from the UK recently and when it arrived in my country, I had to pay an additional €42 to just receive my package).

It sucks bad cause I used to buy all my anime things from the UK. Sadly, not anymore…

Edited by LoveInHell

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 4:39 PM, LoveInHell said:

Yeah, unfortunately I kinda have to avoid buying things outside of the EU. Now if I buy something from the UK, I have to pay VAT + customs charges upon arrival (for example: I bought two blu-ray sets from the UK recently and when it arrived in my country, I had to pay an additional €42 to just receive my package).

It sucks bad cause I used to buy all my anime things from the UK. Sadly, not anymore…

Figured as much. On one hand, I thought I'd mention these in case there are people who don't know about them.

Edited by MrGarland
  • Like 1

You can get a VPN service, which costs just a couple of dollars, and then you can switch your Netflix to any country you want. Let me tell you, there's tons of good anime on Netflix, assuming you can do that. If I can't find it there, I usually visit Kick Ass Anime or Animelon. The latter offers Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana subtitles for those who wish to learn what the anime characters are saying and practice some Japanese, it's really cool. No crunchyroll available where I'm from

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...